Greece in August

Suds70

The banking and exchange system is not functioning.

While things haven't been perfect, it would be a big stretch to say that the entire banking and exchange system is not functioning. A poster named Nick who lives in Athens has posted on a couple of other threads. You might want to read his descriptions, explanations and observations of the current situation to get a first hand report from a local.

"If Greeks are limited to $67. a day, while foreigners are not limited, what do you think will happen if people need money? look for the foreigners and take it!"

lol

it's a bit distasteful to say so. . .

Greek of American origin here. Double citizenship. On 67$ a day. It's plenty for here. Besides, credit cards and web banking works fine.

Don't be rude please and don't assume anyone can be a thief for some euros or dollars. . . especially the Greeks.

Edited by nick_arch

"If Greeks are limited to $67. a day, while foreigners are not limited, what do you think will happen if people need money? look for the foreigners and take it!"

lol

it's a bit distasteful to say so. . .

Greek of American origin here. Double citizenship. On 67$ a day. It's plenty for here. Besides, credit cards and web banking works fine.

Don't be rude please and don't assume anyone can be a thief for some euros or dollars. . . especially the Greeks.

With all due respect I think the original poster's warning might have some value for tourists (even if they might have expressed it in another way). Athens can be a pickpockety city. And no it's not alone in Europe of course…. After all our Greek tour guide warned us not to leave our purses on the tables in the restaurant. That level of caution may be more than many tourists (but not all) are used to…. I knew about the Acropolis being a pickpockety area but I wasn't expecting that kind of warning. It's completely possible that the rates of pick pocketing could go up (but not necessarily) after recent events (especially if this situation goes on or gets worse in the next days to weeks). A tourist would probably be playing it safe to be extra on guard.

Greece in August? Worry more about staying hydrated! Let me put it this way, when I visit Florida in August, I do not think it is all that hot ;) Have a great time! Don't worry about things and remember, nearly all Greeks know at least basic English.

LOL! I live in Arizona and I'm looking forward to the cooler weather in Greece in late August. ;) We'll be stopping in Argostoli and Corfu. I just checked the average weather for the days we'll be traveling, and it looks like it may be more than 15 degrees F cooler in Greece. (That's about 9 degrees in Celsius). Of course, Greece will be more humid, but Arizona is also humid in August. It will be a pleasure to be in the beautiful Mediterranean for 11 days. I am already accustomed to carrying a bottle of water at all times.

It is a relief to know that knowledge of English is common in Greece. That will be one less thing to worry about. I'm not really too concerned about the bank situation. We'll bring some Euros with us. If things things are well settled, we will be able to do more touring. If things are precarious, we may not stay off the ship for very long, but at least we will be able to say we have been to Greece.

Athens has horrible traffic, so any type of transportation will be slow. Also, lots of demonstrations going on all over the city. We also couldn't see the Acropolis. They just arbitrarily closed it for several hours with a HUGE crowd waiting in the hot sun.

I've been to Athens twice, and if you cannot go to the Acropolis, go to the Plaka shopping area. Very interesting.

Regarding the weather in Greece. It's the humidity that is so horrible, combined with the temperature. I was there during a 95 degree heat wave once, and it was unbearable. August is a really hot month there.

With all the problems in Greece right now how will this effect tourism?

Other than needing to carry a reasonable amount of cash tourists will not feel any impact at all. If there are strikes then there might be impact as far as sites being open. Your biggest issue will be the heat and humidity that time of year. Bring hats, sunglasses and lots of sunscreen.

Be careful. if this thing continues I would guess that tourists will become even bigger targets for pickpockets then they already are now.

Where does this stuff come from. Pickpockets are not prevalent in Greece, except maybe in Athens, never on the islands. People need to stop spreading rubbish.

I would not go there at all.

Why? Do you fear for your safety? It is a beautiful country and staying away only makes their financial situation worse.

Edited by zqvol

I think if Athens really becomes an issue, the ships will cancel the port of call.

Sure hope that doesn't happen as that is where my cruise STARTS. Also, no chance to get euros in another EU country as flying into Athens from US. :eek:

I guess I'll pull those gold bars out from under the mattress now....

Sure hope that doesn't happen as that is where my cruise STARTS. Also, no chance to get euros in another EU country as flying into Athens from US. :eek:

What is your plan? (I figure you are kidding about the gold bars.) Will you be taking Euros from the US? Enough for your trip, or just enough for the first couple days?

Our travel plans are similar, and I am thinking to bring a couple hundred Euro. I will probably buy them from my bank (Wells Fargo) but they are charging such a premium. In the grand scheme of things, the surcharge will probably be about $10 to $12. (They are charging about $1.16, and the exchange rate tonight is $1.10.) I keep checking everyday, but it has only dropped a penny in the last week.

I am wondering if you know of a place with a better exchange rate?

Maddle

Try your local American Express office, their rates aren't the greatest but for a few hundred dollars worth it's not a big deal. There's also a company called Travelex but I've never used them.

When I checked AAA online, it linked through to Wells Fargo.

I can not find any rates online for AmEx Travel Office.

Travelex was just obscene, way out of line with the banks.

Bank of America was a little higher than Wells Fargo.

Wells Fargo had the best rate, and dropped about a half cent overnight. Banker's rate is also down about a half cent....so Wells Fargo is charging about 6 cents and staying even.

I think I will have to resign myself to paying that 6 cent premium and figuring it is worth the peace of mind and convenience.

Since we will be visiting by cruise ship, we won't need all that much. People on land vacations are being advised to bring ALL their anticipated expenses in cash. They will need a very big tote bag.

Maddle

Groucho is right. European pickpockets travel to where the action is in herds. American tourists who cannot get $ out of ATMs will be bringing it over from States on their person.I read Greece banks not allowing any foreign transactions currently.Money belts; wear underneath all clothes low on body with zipper facing in. Be very wary in crowds.Carry a small amount on shore. Rest belongs in your room safe.

What is your plan? (I figure you are kidding about the gold bars.) Will you be taking Euros from the US? Enough for your trip, or just enough for the first couple days?

Our travel plans are similar, and I am thinking to bring a couple hundred Euro. I will probably buy them from my bank (Wells Fargo) but they are charging such a premium. In the grand scheme of things, the surcharge will probably be about $10 to $12. (They are charging about $1.16, and the exchange rate tonight is $1.10.) I keep checking everyday, but it has only dropped a penny in the last week.

I am wondering if you know of a place with a better exchange rate?

Maddle

Right now we're between a rock and a hard place but have six weeks for this to potentially level out. There isn't much we can do but wait & if I take a beating on buying Euros here, that's what will have to happen. I don't have the luxury of stopping elsewhere as we are spending a day or two in Athens before boarding our ship & as luck would have it, the first few ports are in Greece. Don't let it ruin your trip ~ just roll with it and hope for the best results. Truly, my biggest fear is that the cruise won't start in Athens if there is any real trouble & we have very pricey flights in and out of Athens. Mine is a small problem compared to those living with this stuff every day. They have no idea when the banks will open again ~ that's truly sad!:(

While this situation may be truly sad for the Greek people, their government is to blame. How many bailouts do they expect?

We have a friend in Greece and when we visited a few years ago, actually boasted that after WW II, the Americans loaned Greece the money to rebuild, and have never paid back those loans.

Now the EUR has bailed them out two or three times, and they still don't get it. There is no free ride. Loans have to be re-paid. Maybe it's time for them to pay the piper.

My fear is that the US isn't far behind. HOW DO WE EVER REPAY THE 18TRILLION DOLLARS IN DEBT WE OWE? Could we find ourselves in the very same boat?

Just an individual US thinking aloud. I hope everything is resolved so everyone can continue their travels.

Not sure if you are still in the US or when you leave, but when we cruised out of Athens we got euro's from my credit union. the only extra charge was the Fed Ex fee ($7??). Requested them one day, had them the next day. The exchange rate was based on some official currency site and reasonable as I recall. This was in 2013.

Have a great time

ML

While this situation may be truly sad for the Greek people, their government is to blame. How many bailouts do they expect?

We have a friend in Greece and when we visited a few years ago, actually boasted that after WW II, the Americans loaned Greece the money to rebuild, and have never paid back those loans.

Now the EUR has bailed them out two or three times, and they still don't get it. There is no free ride. Loans have to be re-paid. Maybe it's time for them to pay the piper.

My fear is that the US isn't far behind. HOW DO WE EVER REPAY THE 18TRILLION DOLLARS IN DEBT WE OWE? Could we find ourselves in the very same boat?

Just an individual US thinking aloud. I hope everything is resolved so everyone can continue their travels.

I believe there are a lot of countries that owe the US money including Germany, dating back to WW2.

There's a lot of attitude going around. I keep hearing cries "just give us the money", "if Germany treated us like brothers they would forgive the debt". Of course this is backed up by "we created the Olympics, democracy, etc…." and other kinds of Greek pride.

Also there was next no attempt to make reforms to ensure that the government receives the taxes that people are supposed to pay. No matter how high the taxes are set, they will not work to pay off the debt if the majority of people avoid paying their taxes…

I honestly have a lot of sympathy for the common person in Greece who is suffering during this mess. And I acknowledge that the Greeks didn't get into this situation alone. But I don't have a lot of sympathy for the politicians and bureaucrats and their lack of willingness to adapt to the sad reality of the situation or their attitude about the debt.

Edited by Mademoiselle22