Best side of boat for glacier views from balcony?

puggleperson

I think the general consensus is if you are doing a Northbound trip, book on the Starboard side; Southbound trip book on the Port side. If it is a round trip cruise, you should be good on either.

That being said, you can still miss a lot if you are only looking to one side of the ship. Best views are had on open decks where you can see in all directions.

Based on research and comments, I decided upon a port side suite. I had originally intended to book a starboard but changed my mind just before booking.

No doubt that the best views are best from out on an open deck but we value our time on our balcony as well. In fact, after sailing in to Hubbard one year, we decided to go to our cabin and LOVED the experience from there.

Everyone has their own way of seeing Alaska. If you want to experience it from your balcony, do it - and don't let anyone make you feel bad about it.

We are a family of cancer and heart/stroke survivors. Often, the balcony is our best, most comfortable and most enjoyable option. We definitely get our money's worth out of a balcony! :)

If you are talking about Glacier Bay - doesn't matter as the ship will rotate so that both sides will get views of the glaciers

Not necessarily true. On our September 2008 Southbound Voyage of the Glaciers on the Sapphire Princess, the captain rotated the boat 360 degrees so all sides saw the Margerie and Grand Pacific glaciers in Glacier Bay.

On our Alaskan cruise last week on the Emerald Princess, the captain stationed the ship facing due north towards the Grand Pacific glacier the whole time in Glacier Bay meaning the Starboard side faced the front of the Margerie glacier. Even though we had a starboard mini-suite, we spent the whole time up on the Lido deck to take in the entire view around us. It also helped that it was warm and bright blue sunny skies (18C or 65F).

Here are some pictures I took of the Margerie Glacier.

Paul

20170516_095104.jpg.e9aea7c568c3430a80f3b4635d49f3a8.jpg

20170516_095109.jpg.b9b0cc7ec336539b58e2b38c69a0b170.jpg

20170516_095117.jpg.594a2bcf88b1730e04b904174e7be100.jpg

Looking at the pics of the glaciers reminded me of our first Alaska voyage in 1980 aboard the original Sun Princess. They lowered a lifeboat and some of the crew members went out to an iceberg and chipped off chunks of ice. It was used to chill the champagne for the Captain's Party/Gala dinner that evening. I think that everyone on the ship went up and rubbed the glacier ice - it was beautiful, crystal clear. Of course, in those days, the ship only held about 800 passengers. :)

Having sailed this route many times I am one of those who says for the best views get out on the open deck. This way you can easily move around. I really would not worry which side your room is on. I would put more emphasis on where your room is located on the deck rather then which side.

Some photos from a picture perfect day of Glacier Bay taken from where else; the open deck.

DSC_4194.jpg

DSC_4215.jpg

DSC_4198.jpg

DSC_4216.jpg

My title basically says it all. I want to make sure I booked my room on the best side for the best views :) thanks!

Puggleperson, have you gotten an answer? What ship/route are you on? That will aid in answering your original question.

Again, I know that "open deck" doesn't answer your question. I want to make sure that you get some specific suggestions based on your specific voyage.

We go out on deck too, but it's great that you don't have to.

Our reason for liking the port side is that you enter the Bay early in the morning. As you cruise in, the sun is rising on the Starboard side means it is looking into the rising sun and the port side is looking away from the sun. The mountains and views are better illuminated to port as a result.

You can also go out on your balcony right away and have great views while still waking, dressing, etc.

My research has also shown that most ships, since they sail mostly north into the bay, sail closer to the west side going in and more to the middle going out. By the time they sail out, the sun is more overhead flattening out the light on the starboard side. The poster above that mentioned the ship was pointed due north at Marjorie Glacier puts the port side toward It.

Check out the time lapse videos in my signature for examples (watch for new ones for this year soon). There are also a lot of videos on YouTube capturing entire glacier bay cruises you can review.

Our reason for liking the port side is that you enter the Bay early in the morning. As you cruise in, the sun is rising on the Starboard side means it is looking into the rising sun and the port side is looking away from the sun. The mountains and views are better illuminated to port as a result.

You can also go out on your balcony right away and have great views while still waking, dressing, etc.

My research has also shown that most ships, since they sail mostly north into the bay, sail closer to the west side going in and more to the middle going out. By the time they sail out, the sun is more overhead flattening out the light on the starboard side. The poster above that mentioned the ship was pointed due north at Marjorie Glacier puts the port side toward It.

Check out the time lapse videos in my signature for examples (watch for new ones for this year soon). There are also a lot of videos on YouTube capturing entire glacier bay cruises you can review.

Best, most complete answer I've read on the boards. Thanks for this!

We just got back yesterday from the Noordam and I can confirm what Keith has reported as accurate. We chose a spot on the port side of the ship and had the best views of the glaciers in Glacier Bay.