Propulsion Damage on the Anthem !!

FIRELT5

Thanks, but the only way I know its a weekend is that the messages from the office stop. One day is pretty much like the next out here.

I bet....all work no real rest/break on your kind of job....24/7. This time of year used to be calving on my dad's/our family ranch...one crabby 24/7 cowboy..so glad that is over.

Edited by sjn911

I bet....all work no real rest/break on your kind of job....24/7. This time of year used to be calving on my dad's/our family ranch...one crabby 24/7 cowboy..so glad that is over.

Yah, but I bet you do miss seeing the baby calves running I the spring as the snow melts. I don't miss the midnight checks either, but I do miss the calves.:)

Passengers are the "cargo" of a cruise ship, so they and their baggage are included in the deadweight. Using a round number like 6000 pax and crew, with an average weight of 220 lbs (100 kg), that only accounts for 300 metric tons or 2.7% of the allowable deadweight. Fuel, drinking water, and ballast water probably make up 9-10,000 tons.

What about food and most importantly the secondary fuel...beer! :D

Speaking of which I find it a riot that this gets brought up: How much more a ship weighs after a few days in on a voyage due to pax weight gains. :eek: I thought people were joking, that's what is scary.

The show "Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader?" really brought up the issue at hand.

And all over the news reports of 45 degrees list. I suggest people even thinking this is the case get a protractor (that little piece of plastic in the shape of a D, the grade they got in middle school math) and put it next to their dinner table. With the help of a friend lift one end until the middle gets to 45. Don't try this with dinner on board or your pets will be enjoying it and your spouse may not appreciate it. How the heck would you be able to cope with this if this angle was the floor? I've seen my share of bad storms and the WORST was perhaps 9 degrees (pax ship). And this took a while to get there. That's the other thing. Lose power and swing into a beam sea (been there on a trawler) and it's like a see-saw (sea-saw?) that will literally toss you like a trebuchet. Heavy objects become deadly projectiles. The period would be longer on a larger vessel but the back and forth sliding across the floor would still be your enemy. Ships can take a lot more beating than people for sure. Combine diesel fumes and a rolling sea and you're incapacitated for 24 hours or more.

Most of you have smart phones. There are plenty of free apps that show inclination and these are pretty good. I like "Theodolite" on iOS because you can use the camera to snap a pic with a full overlay of coordinates and other sensor data. You may look like a dork but if you're a ship nerd like a lot of us you're busted already! ;) You may be disappointed that all the pitching and rolling you feel in the dining room is only a few degrees plus and minus.

Yah, but I bet you do miss seeing the baby calves running I the spring as the snow melts. I don't miss the midnight checks either, but I do miss the calves.:)

Smiles....all the babies....but I can see them driving around often here..even though more east and closer to a small and larger "town". My dad still can ski a few runs at 81 due to this...not moi..lol. Edit to say back to ship at hand and hopefully all good now....

Edited by sjn911

Speaking of which I find it a riot that this gets brought up: How much more a ship weighs after a few days in on a voyage due to pax weight gains. :eek: I thought people were joking, that's what is scary.

The show "Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader?" really brought up the issue at hand.

Well, you also have to subtract the weight of the food that was eaten to produce the weight gain in the passengers. At worst, a wash, when you consider the food wastage and the amount that goes through the waste treatment plant (you know what I mean), the ship will come back to port lighter than it left, even if you discount the drinking water and fuel.

A ship the size of Anthem will get around 10-15 40' trailers of food for the week. 40' containers have a max weight of 40mt, so food and beverage is somewhere between 400-600 tons.

And all over the news reports of 45 degrees list. I suggest people even thinking this is the case get a protractor (that little piece of plastic in the shape of a D, the grade they got in middle school math) and put it next to their dinner table. With the help of a friend lift one end until the middle gets to 45. Don't try this with dinner on board or your pets will be enjoying it and your spouse may not appreciate it. How the heck would you be able to cope with this if this angle was the floor? I've seen my share of bad storms and the WORST was perhaps 9 degrees (pax ship).

I would think at worst we tilted 10-15 degrees.

Edited by jd10367

And all over the news reports of 45 degrees list. I suggest people even thinking this is the case get a protractor (that little piece of plastic in the shape of a D, the grade they got in middle school math) and put it next to their dinner table. With the help of a friend lift one end until the middle gets to 45. Don't try this with dinner on board or your pets will be enjoying it and your spouse may not appreciate it. How the heck would you be able to cope with this if this angle was the floor? I've seen my share of bad storms and the WORST was perhaps 9 degrees (pax ship). And this took a while to get there. That's the other thing. Lose power and swing into a beam sea (been there on a trawler) and it's like a see-saw (sea-saw?) that will literally toss you like a trebuchet. Heavy objects become deadly projectiles. The period would be longer on a larger vessel but the back and forth sliding across the floor would still be your enemy. Ships can take a lot more beating than people for sure. Combine diesel fumes and a rolling sea and you're incapacitated for 24 hours or more.

Most of you have smart phones. There are plenty of free apps that show inclination and these are pretty good. I like "Theodolite" on iOS because you can use the camera to snap a pic with a full overlay of coordinates and other sensor data. You may look like a dork but if you're a ship nerd like a lot of us you're busted already! ;) You may be disappointed that all the pitching and rolling you feel in the dining room is only a few degrees plus and minus.

listcougar.jpg

there is a line on the horizon for a basis and one at the color break of the hull to determine the offset,

One of the salvage crew died despite use of mountain climbing gear

another, less severe

listbibb.jpg

Edited by Capt_BJ

listcougar.jpg

there is a line on the horizon for a basis and one at the color break of the hull to determine the offset,

One of the salvage crew died despite use of mountain climbing gear

another, less severe

listbibb.jpg

Based on my need, at the time, of having to get from the bathroom back to the bed at the height of the storm, i judged the angle to be 10-15*. Your graphic feels like it supports that.

Edited by KarinaGW

my ships 'routinely' experienced rolls over 15 degrees .... and they were usually memorable events with lots of overturned chairs and spilled glasses

but we were 'secured for sea' and expected this. you should have see the preps when we did a Bering Sea trip!

One of the things that typically scares me on a cruise ship IS the total lack of regard for "securing for sea". I've watched the full contents of a large bar area all crash to a "wall" (I call it a bulkhead) same too for every bottle in the perfurm shop>

Other favorites: music equipment like risers, amp and even piano ON WHEELS.

Stacks of folding chairs and tables and often on a rolling stand

Rolling grills and steam tables . . . .

we called these things "missile hazards"

If not welded or strongly bolted to a strong structure or tied down with something able to carry 150% of the weight, the question is not "will it move"

only WHEN will it move and where is it gonna go . . .

Carib cruisers can sail for 20 years and never see these conditions .... or it might be your lucky day.

BTW my recent QM2 experience did NOT convince me that thye were fully ready either, but our crossing was smooth so I never got to see their plan in action

p.s. my classroom for learning about wind waves and ships

Storm5.jpg

topotheworld001.jpg

scan0002.jpg

Edited by Capt_BJ

Cheng is the acronym for Chief Engineer, KP stands for Kings Point, the US Merchant Marine Academy, and 75 is my year of graduation.

Did you know a Pete Creagan at Merch Marine Academy. He grew up with my husband. He thinks he was there around the same time.

my ships 'routinely' experienced rolls over 15 degrees .... and they were usually memorable events with lots of overturned chairs and spilled glasses

but we were 'secured for sea' and expected this. you should have see the preps when we did a Bering Sea trip!

One of the things that typically scares me on a cruise ship IS the total lack of regard for "securing for sea". I've watched the full contents of a large bar area all crash to a "wall" (I call it a bulkhead) same too for every bottle in the perfurm shop>

Other favorites: music equipment like risers, amp and even piano ON WHEELS.

Stacks of folding chairs and tables and often on a rolling stand

Rolling grills and steam tables . . . .

we called these things "missile hazards"

If not welded or strongly bolted to a strong structure are tied down with something able to carry 150% of the weight, there question is not "will it move"

only WHEN will it move and where is it gonna go . . .

Carib cruisers can sail for 20 years and never see these conditions .... or it might be your lucky day.

BTW my recent QM2 experience did NOT convince me that thye were fully ready either, but our crossing was smooth so I never got to see their plan in action

Missiles, exactly.

Getting clocked by a baby grand on wheels would be like getting run over by a car. Probably worse TBH.

And those odyssey cabs full of amps, processors, etc. Weigh hundreds of pounds with steel corner protectors. And most don't even engage the wheel brakes. At least they're tethered with a snake with Neutrik/Speakons which are pretty secure. But where it can move (and it will) it will come at you like a Case front end loader and thinking you put your hands up and stop it would be futile.

10-15 deg on a large, modern cruise ship is major. Folks up high in suites would feel this as much worse seeing the horizon going up and down. It always feels worse than it is. Look at the first dip on a roller coaster. ;)

And like there's a ruler for "fisherman's inches" there should be a scale for cruisers. ;) x2.

I have to say I like it. No lines in the buffet and when you tell others "Meh, it's not the bad" the look they give you like you have lobsters crawling from your ears, is priceless.

But it gets old quick. An hour or two of getting slammed is one thing. But enduring it for a day or more is entirely another.

The issue with Carib cruises is leaving from the NE. There's a lot of weather that needs respect. They don't call it the Graveyard of The Atlantic for nothing.

Did you know a Pete Creagan at Merch Marine Academy. He grew up with my husband. He thinks he was there around the same time.

Name doesn't ring a bell. I gather that it's your husband who thinks Pete was there then, and not Pete himself? :p Though I gotta say there was a lot of alcohol haze back then.

Edited by chengkp75

p.s. my classroom for learning about wind waves and ships

Storm5.jpg

Is that picture taken on the Eagle? She lives just up the road from me. I got to spend the good part of a day aboard once thanks to a friend of mine. I'd love to sail aboard her as the ship physician.

listcougar.jpg

Wow, that really puts it in perspective! I know on the TA it felt like we were tipping pretty far at times. When we asked, on the bridge tour, what the max was, I honestly didn't believe the 12 degree figure. But this totally bears it out.

I can certainly understand someone going through it thinking it was 45 degrees, but looking at your photo paints a much more realistic picture. Thanks!

Is that picture taken on the Eagle? She lives just up the road from me. I got to spend the good part of a day aboard once thanks to a friend of mine. I'd love to sail aboard her as the ship physician.

Actually, that's the Horst Wessel. :p Sorry, CaptB_J, anytime I see the Eagle, I think of where she came from.

What I find more amazing is that it was just over 65 years from the Wrights first flight to the first flight of a 747. 18 years from now (2034) will be 65 years from the 747's first flight, and 747s (okay, not 747-100s) will still be flying in commercial service.

I had several Aunts who were born before the Wright Bothers flew and lived to watch a man land on the man 65 years later. I still have a difficult time wrapping my brain around that fact.

Thom

B52 will be 65 years old next year. That's a lot more impressive than the 747. They are scheduled to be operational for 25 more years

Captain -

I was on QM2 on a westbound transatlantic while we were going through 30 foot seas and 40-50 knot winds on the bow. Sitting up on deck 9 in the Commodore Club, you could feel the motion, but it wasn't bad (only 1 time in 2 hours did the bar tender even need to steady the glasses behind the bar. (But seeing the large amounts of wind blown spray hitting the windows was impressive!)

On the sailing ship Royal Clipper the did secure all the bars when we hit some rough weather - AND the put installed the lee boards on the beds! Now THAT was a fun trip!

Aloha,

John

Edited by jcl410
typos

B52 will be 65 years old next year. That's a lot more impressive than the 747. They are scheduled to be operational for 25 more years
Agreed. The B52 projected operational life is almost twice as long as the time span from first flight of the Wright brothers to first flight of the B52. And that projected lifetime is longer than mine:eek: