Foreign currency

MaryCatherineAnn

Hi

We are doing an European cuise that will take us to 7 different countries with 5 different currencies. We plan to do excursions in all ports but book through our ship.

Is it necessary to purchase the currency of each country we are visiting. We don't plan to do much shopping but will have our VISA.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Catherine

If you are doing ships tours & do not plan on buying anything from street vendors or eating ashore you should be OK

Check if your CC has a foreign transaction fee that will add to the expenses

some CC offer a no FTF

You could always use an ATM in the Country to get a small amount of local currency

Edited by LHT28

Most will take Euros and just use a credit card for the rest. A few will not, so do some research about what you want to do to see if it is necessary. Usually things like buses, certain tour operators or museums only take local currency.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi

We are doing an European cuise that will take us to 7 different countries with 5 different currencies. We plan to do excursions in all ports but book through our ship.

Is it necessary to purchase the currency of each country we are visiting. We don't plan to do much shopping but will have our VISA.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Catherine

Naming the countries would be a help.

Euro Countries

Today, the euro is one of the world's most powerful currencies, used by more than 320 million Europeans in twenty-four countries. The countries currently using the euro are:

1) Andorra

2) Austria

3) Belgium

4) Cyprus

5) Estonia

6) Finland

7) France

8) Germany

9) Greece

10) Ireland

11) Italy

12) Kosovo

13) Latvia

14) Luxembourg

15) Malta

16) Monaco

17) Montenegro

18) Netherlands

19) Portugal

20) San Marino

21) Slovakia

22) Slovenia

23) Spain

24) Vatican City

Countries using the Pound Sterling:

The Pound Sterling is the official currency of the United Kingdom (made up of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland).

You didn't say what countries you are going to visit but the above info will give you an idea. You can also Google the country and ask what currency is accepted.

The posts here give some good advice. My husband and I take a combination of Credit and Debit Cards, US Dollars, and a few $100 each of Euros and Pounds depending where we are going. We also take small money ($1 and quarters) for restrooms (think Italy and France) and other areas where there is a door attendant or you need small change. (If needed, they will pool their money to cash it in at their local banks.) We no longer bother with Travelers Checks.

Linda

Most cruise ships can change small amounts needed for short shore excursions 10 or 20 Euros worth, for restrooms, food etc. and most countries (unknown where you are going) will accept Euros if they want a sale.

Hi Catherine,

To give you tolerably accurate advice we need to know your ports. I,m guessing this is a Baltic cruise???

Useful also to know of any overnite and whether you plan to DIY or use ship's or independent tours.

Firesident has kindly listed the countries in Euozone - one currency for all those countries, which makes it so much easier.

But you can also use euros in most outlets in some ports (but not usually other places in that country) outside Eurozone so make euros your back-up currency. USD are not widely accepted.

Exceptions include local buses, trains, ferries and sometimes taxis, museums, etc.., which require local currency or - apart from buses, some taxis and sights - most accept plastic.

Ship's currency exchange is useful for tiny amounts, but their exchange rates are truly awful.

If you are confident that you'll spend the minimum amount available from ATMs, that's the way to go.

Visa and MasterCard are very widely accepted, but not AmEx or Diners.

Some outlets will not accept plastic, or will charge a fee, for tiny purchases such as a couple of coffees or beers.

Also be aware that if your card issuer charges a foreign transaction fee there is usually a minimum fee, wvhich makes using plastic for tiny purchases an uneconomic choice.

There are credit cards which don't charge a foreign transaction fee. And the exchange rate they give is waaaay better than at any exchange bureau. So if you anticipate more foreign travel do consider getting one of those cards.

Do inform your card supplier of your travel plans or you may find it will be blocked from foreign transactions as an anti-fraud measure

It's not as daunting as it sounds ;)

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

If you are doing cruise line excursions you obviously will not need Euros to pay for your tours. But you really should tip your tour guides/drivers in their own currency. And if you want to purchase anything ashore, you will often need the local currency or a credit card. But keep in mind that many credit cards do charge a foreign exchange fee and you often cannot make small purchases with plastic. If you are going to countries that are mostly on the Euro, then you might want to get some Euros. If you are in the Baltic...it does become more complicated.

Hank

If you are doing cruise line excursions you obviously will not need Euros to pay for your tours. But you really should tip your tour guides/drivers in their own currency. And if you want to purchase anything ashore, you will often need the local currency or a credit card. But keep in mind that many credit cards do charge a foreign exchange fee and you often cannot make small purchases with plastic. If you are going to countries that are mostly on the Euro, then you might want to get some Euros. If you are in the Baltic...it does become more complicated.

Hank

Either purchase some on line before you go, use the ship's ATM or the purser's desk ir an ATM on shire. Yes you pay exchange rates but you generally are only purchasing a small amount so no great problem. Use plastic for any larger purchases. It is a courtesy and mark of respect to use the correct currency in a country.

In Vasa museum in Stockholm last year a "lady" in front of me said how much is that in US, I don't want to know how much in your money.

The young sales assistant treated her with amazing courtesy, but did give me a sly smile when I paid with Swedish Krone

Hi Catherine,

To give you tolerably accurate advice we need to know your ports. I,m guessing this is a Baltic cruise???

Useful also to know of any overnite and whether you plan to DIY or use ship's or independent tours.

Firesident has kindly listed the countries in Euozone - one currency for all those countries, which makes it so much easier.

But you can also use euros in most outlets in some ports (but not usually other places in that country) outside Eurozone so make euros your back-up currency. USD are not widely accepted.

Exceptions include local buses, trains, ferries and sometimes taxis, museums, etc.., which require local currency or - apart from buses, some taxis and sights - most accept plastic.

Ship's currency exchange is useful for tiny amounts, but their exchange rates are truly awful.

If you are confident that you'll spend the minimum amount available from ATMs, that's the way to go.

Visa and MasterCard are very widely accepted, but not AmEx or Diners.

Some outlets will not accept plastic, or will charge a fee, for tiny purchases such as a couple of coffees or beers.

Also be aware that if your card issuer charges a foreign transaction fee there is usually a minimum fee, wvhich makes using plastic for tiny purchases an uneconomic choice.

There are credit cards which don't charge a foreign transaction fee. And the exchange rate they give is waaaay better than at any exchange bureau. So if you anticipate more foreign travel do consider getting one of those cards.

Do inform your card supplier of your travel plans or you may find it will be blocked from foreign transactions as an anti-fraud measure

It's not as daunting as it sounds ;)

Thanks so much for your help. We are going to the Baltic. Just wondering if you know which credit cards do not charge foreign transaction fees. I had no luck finding that when we went to Ireland last year.

Thanks so much for your help. We are going to the Baltic. Just wondering if you know which credit cards do not charge foreign transaction fees. I had no luck finding that when we went to Ireland last year.

You know, it would help if you actually specified the countries that your cruise is going to visit. On the credit card situation it would help enormously if you stated in which country you are resident as credit cards tend to differ from issuer to issuer. Then you would get specific information rather than generalities.

;)

Edited by VMax1700

You are new here...welcome! Lots of good information if you can find it...so let me encourage you to divulge your ship/sail date, then go to the "Roll Call" section here on Cruise Critic. Find your cruise line/ship/date and ask your questions.

You will find a plethora of help from others who have been there/done that.

There is literally no question about cruising that has not been answered, more than once, here on CC.

Enjoy!

If you're a Brit, try Halifax Clarity or Capital One or the Post Office credit card.

We use a Post Office one solely for foreign travel

Edited by John Bull

I'm going on Baltic cruise in July. I'm taking pounds for my stay in London pre-cruise plus 2 Visa credit cards (in case one doesn't work I'll have a backup). I'm also taking Euros and US dollars. I am doing private tours. Most of the ports accept Euros except Sweden and Russia. I will get enough Krona at an ATM and just enough rubles for a soda and toilet break as my tour company (SPB Tours) accepts credit cards. I will call my credit card company with the travel dates & to verify that there are no foreign transaction fees.

I have calculated how much I will need of each currency by my plans in each port then have added 10% buffer. Always added in to my calcs a drink (soda) and tips for guides, drivers, & toilet attendants. (I'm not into souvenirs. )

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Those Baltic cruises do present some currency challenges, although Estonia, Finland and Germany are on the Euro. Finland is interesting because the country has been pursing a policy of minimizing the use of cash. Credit cards have become the norm in Sweden, even for small purchases. The Swedish government is actually pursing a policy of reducing the use of cash...and it creates some funny moments. Last August we walked into a Stockholm art museum and DW was required to lock her purse in a secure locker. But the locker (which was free) required the use of a Swedish Krone coin to activate the lock (the coin is returned when you later open the locker). We had no Swedish coins so stopped at the information counter for help. They simply gave us a coin and asked that we please return it when finished. When I asked if they lost a lot of coins they explained that nobody wanted the things...so just about everyone returned the loaned coins.

Hank

Thanks. I am in Canada and visiting Denmark, Germany, Norway, Finland, Russia, Sweden and Estonia.

I live in Sweden and I hardly ever use cash, it think it's less then 10 times every year. If you have a Master or Visa card you will be fine in 95% of the shops. Buses and a lot of different services doesn't accept cash in Sweden, only cards.

I have been to Denmark, Germany, Finland and Estonia. Never used cash, only my Visa card.

American express and Diners are NOT widely accepted.

We think that Sweden is years ahead of the rest of the world. Cash just does not make a lot of sense. It costs too much to manufacture (coins often cost more then their worth), they are subject to being stolen or lost, and make merchants a magnet for criminals who want to steal cash. Cash in the 21st Century will likely go the way of Travelers Checks from the 20th Century. Another great option, which has been slow to catch on, is phone options similar to Apple Pay. It is secure (you do not need cash) and efficient.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Ask at your bank branch whether they can order some for you to just take with you. A friend of mine always gets her Mexican Pesos in advance from her local bank, so that she doesn't have to deal with the ATM line in the airport.

Ask at your bank branch whether they can order some for you to just take with you. A friend of mine always gets her Mexican Pesos in advance from her local bank, so that she doesn't have to deal with the ATM line in the airport.

Speaking as one who lives in Puerto Vallarta (part of the year) and is familiar with the airport....we seldom have any line to use an ATM machine at PVR. There are actually several different ATMs (from various banks) and they are easy to access. We are currently getting more than 21:1 at local ATMs. The normal fees/taxes, imposed at a Mexican ATM are in the 30 - 35 Peso range..which is less than $2. We usually withdraw more than $300 (US) at a time...so that small fee is a fraction of 1%.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Hi, I'm in Canada too.

We have a MasterCard from Scotiabank with no foreign transaction fees.

I usually buy Euro from the bank before we go to Europe so I have some cash in my pocket when we arrive. We can use an ATM over there to get more, but usually just use the Credit Card.

Have a great cruise.