Manhattan Question

First time in NYC. Sailing out of manhattan pier 88. We are flying in to JFK on the day before we sail. We want to visit the 9/11 memorial and possibly Central Park. Where should we choose a hotel? I was leaning toward the Hampton Inn Manhattan Seaport Financial district. It says its near the memorial. Would that be walking distance? Or should we find a hotel near the pier? I was just thinking of getting a driver to get us from the airport to the hotel. Then hopefully walk to the memorial. Hire a driver to get us from the hotel to the pier the next morning. Does that sound the most reasonable or most efficient? How would I arrange to get to Central Park? Sorry to sound like a dummy but Its difficult to decide how far things are when I have never been to this city.

Edited by twentyatheart

First time in NYC. Sailing out of manhattan pier 88. We are flying in to JFK on the day before we sail. We want to visit the 9/11 memorial and possibly Central Park. Where should we choose a hotel? I was leaning toward the Hampton Inn Manhattan Seaport Financial district. It says its near the memorial. Would that be walking distance? Or should we find a hotel near the pier? I was just thinking of getting a driver to get us from the airport to the hotel. Then hopefully walk to the memorial. Hire a driver to get us from the hotel to the pier the next morning. Does that sound the most reasonable or most efficient? How would I arrange to get to Central Park? Sorry to sound like a dummy but Its difficult to decide how far things are when I have never been to this city.

The 9/11 memorial is downtown, and Central Park is in midtown. While it's physically possible to walk between the two areas, it would take you a LONG time. So one way or another, you'll have to take some other kind of transportation. I haven't stayed in NY in a couple years but downtown hotels are probably cheaper on average than midtown hotels. If you're looking at something in the financial district (downtown), you should be able to walk to the memorial from your hotel. From there you can take the subway to midtown; someone with more knowledge can tell you exactly which train and stops so that you avoid a local.

If you go to Google Maps and type in the name of the hotel you can see exactly the proximity of the hotel to the memorial and subway stops. Also nearby properties also show up. Look at the map and see if you're comfortable walking that distance. By looking at the map you might find another property in a better location in your price range

What is your exact date? What time does your flight arrive at JFK? What are you paying for the hotel?

Central Park is huge. What do you want to see and how much time do you want to spend there?

If you sail the next day, you don't have a lot of time. You might do better staying in midtown if you can match your price. The scenario would be to go from JFK to your hotel, drop your bags, and take the subway downtown to the 911 memorial because you can get a subway train almost anywhere in midtown that will get you close to the memorial. If you are in midtown, it would be easy to go to Central Park the morning before the cruise. The 911 memorial is open late. You do not want to do Central Park at night.

The simplest way to get from JFK to amy hotel in Manhattan is by taxi from the official dispatch line.

The set fare is $52.80; with tolls and 20% tip, expect to pay $70.

Don't accept a ride from anyone who approaches you in the airport.

Within Manhattan, the subway is the most efficient and cheapest way to get around.

The 9/11 Memorial is free and can be visited in less than an hour. Allow 3 hours for the Museum; you can buy timed tickets in advance.

Go to the Central Park website to plan your time there.

Nothing wrong with the plan, I do prefer midtown hotels, more things to see in that area, but you can not see that much of NYC in a day, I do not think you need more thant 2 hours at museum but I would get the tour, which we did last year. You can also now take elevator to top, that also can be reserved. Lots of other thing in area Trinity church is hundreds of years old and a few blocks away also Frances tavern where Washington had farwell speech. On weekends I would just use taxi or Uber rather than subway since traffic is not that bad.

HX is about 2 blocks north of the historic seaport area on busy Pearl Street, it's about 15 to 20 leisurely walk over to 9/11 Memorial (walk south on Pearl, right on Fulton Street & straight across - level & flat, lots of places to meet & a supermarket at the South Bridge residential towers to pickup sodas, bottled water & wine, etc. if you want to bring them to your cruise) FYI - Pier 17 waterfront shopping mall/dining complex is not yet open, still in construction mode & an open shell earlier this week - delayed opening again re-scheduled for this Spring already but other high-end, boutique shops & the market/dining places in the other historic buildings are open, just not as lively.

Depending on your arrival & check-in time at the hotel, it's possible to do Central Park (as said, do it in daylight hours & stay smart on busy walk paths ... like typical urban tourist spots anywhere, crime has been up lately) - it's 50 city blocks long and several city blocks wide. Google Map/ Earth View is your "friend" for a visual of where you are going & locate the nearest subway stations. From downtown HX, it's 4 to 5 blocks to nearest subway to go "uptown" & free transfer to get to nearest preferred station for CP, about 30 to 45 minutes on weekend - you will need to buy a MetroCard - $2.75 per trip p/p plus a $1 charge for the card, up to 4 people can share a single card to swipe (and, free transfer between subways & buses - within alloted time)

Car service fares (Dial7 and Carmel) from JFK to Manhattan hotels are price competitive to yellow taxi's flat rates (otherwise, it's metered-based fares) ... from HX to Pier 88, it's probably easier to call for pickup by car service as there aren't as many cruising taxi along Pearl Street & most coming from Seaport area further south are typically "occupied" with passengers that just got in to go elsewhere. It's a quick ride north via the entrance ramp to FDR Drive south, go around South Ferrry tunnel, Battery Park City, passing the WTC and up the West Side to the pier - should take maybe 25 to 30 minutes on weekend morning with light traffic.

Thanks! All of this info is very helpful.It turns our my husband booked a later flight than I thought and we wont even arrive until noon. UGH! So I am thinking of staying midtown...and take the subway to the memorial. Then try and maybe due a carriage ride around Central Park the next morning before getting on the ship. Any recommendations on a hotel 200-300 in midtown area? Will we need a driver to get to the pier? Thanks again

Thanks! All of this info is very helpful.It turns our my husband booked a later flight than I thought and we wont even arrive until noon. UGH! So I am thinking of staying midtown...and take the subway to the memorial. Then try and maybe due a carriage ride around Central Park the next morning before getting on the ship. Any recommendations on a hotel 200-300 in midtown area? Will we need a driver to get to the pier? Thanks again

What is the exact date you will need a hotel?

The 12th of October

Look at La Quinta on W 32nd St between 5th and 6th Aves with free breakfast and Internet. It is within your budget for your date. Close to Empire State, Macy's, and the Herald Square subway Station where you can take the R train downtown to Cortlandt St to the 911 Memorial.

On 6th Ave you can take the #5 or 7 bus north to Central Park. You can also get a #4 or Q32 bus right on 32nd St to go up Madison Ave one block east of the park. http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/manbus.pdf

If you want a great hotel slightly over budget try Michelangelo its on 51st and 7th as of today rate is 296 but taxs will add 75, its 425 sq ft room, this is by far my favorite hotel anywhere , very short taxi from pier

The 12th of October

Are you on the Splendor on the 13th? (well only other ship is the Viking on a Port of Call) ;)

If so drop by our roll call and say Hi!, all two of us.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2351359

I just did the 9/11 Museum, you miss the Free admission on Tuesday nights between 5p and 6:30p (Museum closes at 8p but last admission is 6:30p) with timed ticket. At least 90 to 120 minutes maybe longer, depending on crowds.

You go thru full airport style security, 5 lanes, two of them have Millimeter wave scanners, three are metal detectors. All bags X-rayed and they say they limit the size bags. All pockets have to be empty, only difference shoes can stay on (think TSA Pre).

I digress... Times Square to WTC is real easy, several subways at each side go near WTC.

Hey Carol!

You provided great advice several years back when we cruised from NYC to Quebec...hoping you will offer some more for a cruise next April.

We cruise on April 18, the Tuesday after Easter so we are planning on flying in no later than Saturday to spend a day or three in the city. We typically try to book something that is acceptable but cancelable and then Priceline a room - hopefully a better room for a cheaper price. What are your current go to suggestions for hotels?

Any leads on the best (and most frugal) way to buy preview tickets for Hello Dolly with Bette? In the past we have taken potluck at TKTS but I don't know if they sell previews and we really want to see it and her but opening night isn't until after we embark.

Thoughts on the Easter Bonnet parade? Is it a madhouse? Always wanted to attend and now is my chance!

TIA!

Hey Carol!

You provided great advice several years back when we cruised from NYC to Quebec...hoping you will offer some more for a cruise next April.

We cruise on April 18, the Tuesday after Easter so we are planning on flying in no later than Saturday to spend a day or three in the city. We typically try to book something that is acceptable but cancelable and then Priceline a room - hopefully a better room for a cheaper price. What are your current go to suggestions for hotels?

Any leads on the best (and most frugal) way to buy preview tickets for Hello Dolly with Bette? In the past we have taken potluck at TKTS but I don't know if they sell previews and we really want to see it and her but opening night isn't until after we embark.

Thoughts on the Easter Bonnet parade? Is it a madhouse? Always wanted to attend and now is my chance!

TIA!

You are looking way early. What area do you want to stay in? Do you have AAA or are you seniors? Is a double bed acceptable?

Unfortunately I can't help you with tickets or the Easter Bonnet parade.

Hi Clay. If you find the official website of the show it will give you information how to sign up for email information. Also TKTS does sell previews but I wouldn't take a chance if you have your heart set on it. The Easter Bonnet parade really isn't a parade. Just folks walking around wearing their outfits. It's on Fifth Avenue near St Patrick's Cathedral/Rockefeller Center

TKTS won't have Dolly. It will be the hottest show of the new season and it's quite unlikely there will be any discounts. Sign up on the website of the show, as G2C suggests so you at least have a chance to buy tix for full price.

It won't be like Hamilton in terms of difficulty buying tix, but it won't be easy,

TKTS won't have Dolly. It will be the hottest show of the new season and it's quite unlikely there will be any discounts. Sign up on the website of the show, as G2C suggests so you at least have a chance to buy tix for full price.

It won't be like Hamilton in terms of difficulty buying tix, but it won't be easy,

Yes but for previews there might be a chance. Previews they are still working the kinks out of the show. That said Bette has a huge following and they'll come to see her not the show itself.

Yes but for previews there might be a chance. Previews they are still working the kinks out of the show. That said Bette has a huge following and they'll come to see her not the show itself.

Yeah, but until you get closer, you always risk an understudy. Once there's a "rhythm", it'll be more predictable (e.g. she rarely does the Sunday matinee). Maybe she'll do every show, but that doesn't always happen...

But, if you want that show, on the one day you're in town, you buy early and take your chances! (John Owen-Jones as Valjean Mother's Day weekend. Oh, my!)

You almost never see an understudy in a preview -- they are working on getting the main cast in gear and understudies get limited "reps" (to use a sports term) until the show is really up and running.

Discounts for previews are a maybe, at least more likely than for the regular run. Musicals with popular stars like Bette Midler (or Hugh Jackman) are always going to be the hottest tickets out there and discounts are less likely for shows like that.

90% of the time the audience can't tell the difference between a preview and a performance in the regular run.

You almost never see an understudy in a preview -- they are working on getting the main cast in gear and understudies get limited "reps" (to use a sports term) until the show is really up and running.

Discounts for previews are a maybe, at least more likely than for the regular run. Musicals with popular stars like Bette Midler (or Hugh Jackman) are always going to be the hottest tickets out there and discounts are less likely for shows like that.

90% of the time the audience can't tell the difference between a preview and a performance in the regular run.

Good to know. We've never tried to do a preview performance. I've seen some sort of pattern during the regular run, but makes sense the full cast would be on hand for the preview.