Underage drinking punishment

uncleg

Later this year I will be traveling with a group of friends, one is bringing their 19yo daughter. Daughter looks much older than 21 and could easily be served a drink by an interested young man, who may not know how old she is, and she has a rep of drinking underage. My question is if she is caught drinking underage, what will be her punishment? Will they put her off ship, will they put her and her mother off ship or the whole group?

I had my objections about her coming as I do not want to have to baby sit her and am afraid of what she might get into, but I was over ruled.

I want to know so I can let the group know what can happen if she does not behave.

IMO you are overthinking this issue.

They just won't serve her . That's it. IF she is asked to show her sail n sign card on board and they see she is underage she won't get a drink. IF they don't ask for her card and she gets served that's it.

In many ports she'll be of age to drink so that's another story. It is up to her mother to decide how to handle this issue. It won't affect you at all!

On one cruise a guy I was talking with brought his underage son. His son was with friends and got caught drinking. The father got called to security and had to sign a letter that he would take responsibility for his son.

There was an old thread on here also by a guy whose daughter couldn't go on awedding cruise because she was caught underage drinking on a college cruise. Didn't tell her dad but had signed a form staying she could no longer sail on Carnival.

As long as she doesnt get stupid to arouse security she should be fine.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Step away from the situation or it will affect your trip. Let her mother deal with it and you just have a good time and stop trying to control something that is out of your control or you will make yourself crazy. No they will not throw her off the ship unless she does something really stupid.....drunk is not stupid enough!

Later this year I will be traveling with a group of friends, one is bringing their 19yo daughter. Daughter looks much older than 21 and could easily be served a drink by an interested young man, who may not know how old she is, and she has a rep of drinking underage. My question is if she is caught drinking underage, what will be her punishment? Will they put her off ship, will they put her and her mother off ship or the whole group?

I had my objections about her coming as I do not want to have to baby sit her and am afraid of what she might get into, but I was over ruled.

I want to know so I can let the group know what can happen if she does not behave.

If someone buys her a drink and she gets caught, the first instance will likely result in a warning and possibly the purchaser's buying privileges cut off. Second offense will likely result in both being put off the ship.

She will be free to drink in port as she pleases.

IMO you are overthinking this issue.

They just won't serve her . That's it. IF she is asked to show her sail n sign card on board and they see she is underage she won't get a drink. IF they don't ask for her card and she gets served that's it.

In many ports she'll be of age to drink so that's another story. It is up to her mother to decide how to handle this issue. It won't affect you at all!

I think you misunderstand. I believe the OP is afraid that she will get drunk because other guys over the age of 21 will buy her drinks.

OP, yes, she can get booted off ship (not necessarily the first time she is caught but that depends on her actions at being caught). Don't know if her family would as well (they would probably have the option of leaving or staying as the person in question is a legal adult and can travel alone). No, the rest of the group should not have to worry about the actions of this girl.

Edited by Out to sea!

I think you misunderstand. I believe the OP is afraid that she will get drunk because other guys over the age of 21 will buy her drinks.

OP, yes, she can get booted off ship (not necessarily the first time she is caught but that depends on her actions at being caught). Don't know if her family would as well (they would probably have the option of leaving or staying as the person in question is a legal adult and can travel alone). No, the rest of the group should have to worry about the actions of this girl.

Good point. Think you are missing a "not" in your last sentence though.

Thanx...I'm a worry wart. I know just this last weekend she was caught drinking underage a a local tavern/restaurant...not sure is she bought it or someone else. I guess this is why I was never blessed with children.:)

Lets hope there are very few to no young single men on your cruise with a drink package.

Or no young single 21 or over young men willing to buy those expensive drinks for an opportunistic young lady. The odds could be on your side.;)

She won't be booted off the ship for simply having a drink.

IF she got drunk and stupid and caused attention to be brought to herself then that is a completely different story but it won't affect the poster , only the girl and her mother.

IF the young lady is foolish then there's nothing the poster can do about it! Perhaps the Mom is also foolish???

While I agree with the others that since this person is not a relative of yours, it really isn't any of your business, and you don't need to worry about any penalty to the group if she misbehaves.

However, if you mention to her mother to read the ticket contract, it says:

"Guest agrees to supervise all persons under age twenty-one (21) under Guest’s charge to insure that they do not violate this, or any other, shipboard regulation. Guests who attempt to purchase alcohol by using false identification or the Sail & Sign card of a Guest who is twenty-one or older will be deemed in violation of this policy. Any Guest twenty-one or older who attempts to or purchases alcohol for any guest under twenty-one will also be deemed in violation of this policy. Guest agrees that Carnival has the right to disembark any guest who violates this policy and as well as any adults traveling with minors who violate this policy or any other shipboard regulation."

And before you get worried, just because you are in a group with the young lady, that does not mean you are "traveling with a minor", that would only be her parents.

So, there is the possibility that the young lady, her parents, and the guy buying the drinks could get put off the ship. Will this happen with one or two drinks? Probably not, but dependent on their behavior. If the behavior results in a complaint, then the chances increase. It happens onboard a fair bit, but if there is no disruptive behavior, it is generally tolerated.

Lets hope there are very few to no young single men on your cruise with a drink package.

Or no young single 21 or over young men willing to buy those expensive drinks for an opportunistic young lady. The odds could be on your side.;)

Older men are safer? This young lady sounds like her desire to drink can put her in possibly unsafe situations with unsavory characters of any age.

Hopefully, nothing bad will happen to her and her family can enjoy the cruise. Otherwise, here comes a life lesson!

As long as she doesn't get rowdy and cause lots of problems she'll probably be okay, even if caught. The instances I've read about where families were disembarked for underage drinking involved fights (and not necessarily instigated by the family). In any event since you have no relation to her I doubt that you would be disembarked with her family.

I agree you are over thinking. It isn't your child although I'm sure you are concerned for her we'll bring. I would not concern myself. I can assure you Carnival will not ask you to get off the ship or issue any type of punishment for her actions. Relax and have a fantastic cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems to me, that if this girl is looking for drinks on land, she will be looking for drinks on the high seas too. BUT, it is not your problem. Her mom might be trying to find out why her daughter is pushing the envelope on alcohol. BUT it's not your business. And you may want to help this girl in the future, cause it sounds like she is going to be creating a future for herself, but unless someone can show her how to live clean,(booze and drug free) and she wants that type of life, it's not your problem.

read back in carnival history when the girl was given pot in Jamaica, free drinks on the ship, dropped a glass in her cabin, fell, cut her arm and bled to death.

too bad, no one made her, their problem.

She is 19 years old and like to party. Sounds pretty typical for the age. I remember sneaking into bars and trying to get served when I was that age.

Her mother should just tell her to save her partying for port.

In your shoes, I'd just step away from the situation and enjoy my vacation. Let her mom deal with the headache.

Yes I get entirely to paternal, must remember "not my circus not my monkeys" If worst comes to worst she and her Mom may get put off ship. I will not feel guilty leaving them behind...I worked hard for this trip, and did not come to baby sit.

Yes I get entirely to paternal, must remember "not my circus not my monkeys" If worst comes to worst she and her Mom may get put off ship. I will not feel guilty leaving them behind...I worked hard for this trip, and did not come to baby sit.

I honestly wouldn't sweat it too much. Even if some random guys buy her drinks on the ship, it's not like she'll be the only drunk person there.

Being 19 and partying regularly, she will probably hold her booze better than a lot of the drunk adults you find on the ship :p :D

She won't be booted off the ship for simply having a drink.

IF she got drunk and stupid and caused attention to be brought to herself then that is a completely different story but it won't affect the poster , only the girl and her mother.

IF the young lady is foolish then there's nothing the poster can do about it! Perhaps the Mom is also foolish???

Considering the girl just got caught underage drinking in a bar, IF is the wrong word to use. WHEN is more correct.

Sounds like she is more likely to get in trouble on land where at some ports she is of legal drinking age. Carry bail money.

There is absolutely no reason for the OP to carry bail money. If anything, the girl getting in trouble on land will ensure a trouble free cruise for the rest of the party.

OP, if this girl coming on the trip worries you, simply state to the rest of the group that you will not be joining them if the girl is coming. No reason for you to subject yourself to something that makes you uncomfortable.