Why not put "Comfort Matters" on online check in?

LMaxwell

Seems to me if the Comfort Matters questions were posted in the same place as online check in this would greatly reduce the first day strain placed on room stewards; many of them seem to appear like magic shortly after you get to your room, but with today's large cabin loads it's just not possible to see everyone.

At online check in they already have spaces to select your check in time, your bed configuration, you can select your dining time option, you can note if you are cruising during a special event/celebration.

This would also eliminate any potential gaming of the system by a room steward re: Comfort Matters, because whatever someone opts to have has been chosen ahead of time and everyone is communicated the same options.

I can't think of a downside to moving this form to the online check in. Are there any?

Seems to me if the Comfort Matters questions were posted in the same place as online check in this would greatly reduce the first day strain placed on room stewards; many of them seem to appear like magic shortly after you get to your room, but with today's large cabin loads it's just not possible to see everyone.

At online check in they already have spaces to select your check in time, your bed configuration, you can select your dining time option, you can note if you are cruising during a special event/celebration.

This would also eliminate any potential gaming of the system by a room steward re: Comfort Matters, because whatever someone opts to have has been chosen ahead of time and everyone is communicated the same options.

I can't think of a downside to moving this form to the online check in. Are there any?

I agree and have also suggested this on other threads regarding this issue.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I found an image of the Comfort Matters card from program rollout January 2016.

Extra: pillows, blankets, hangers are probably BEST answered by MOST guests once they've checked quantities in their room. Consider the inexperienced deciding this online pre-cruise: "Hmmm... I don't know if there will be enough, so I better just go ahead and order extra now."

It really IS possible for the cabin steward to see everyone in their section. Doing so allows the steward to provide a personal greeting and introduction.

I can see where it could be helpful, but I really don't think they pay attention to even the bed configuration option. This last time they had the bed made into one big one for my mom and I. That would have been fine if I was 5 again, but it wasn't happening. That's not the first time they had it wrong, either.

Extra: pillows, blankets, hangers are probably BEST answered by MOST guests once they've checked quantities in their room. Consider the inexperienced deciding this online pre-cruise: "Hmmm... I don't know if there will be enough, so I better just go ahead and order extra now."

It really IS possible for the cabin steward to see everyone in their section. Doing so allows the steward to provide a personal greeting and introduction.

Yeah I think if you bring it to the attention of the blue cards that all these things are available, it'll create a lot of additional work for the stewards.

I can see where it could be helpful, but I really don't think they pay attention to even the bed configuration option. This last time they had the bed made into one big one for my mom and I. That would have been fine if I was 5 again, but it wasn't happening. That's not the first time they had it wrong, either.

I'm 5/5 on my king so far (yn)

I'm 5/5 on my king so far (yn)

That's great! Hopefully the trend continues :D. I think they sometime rush and just leave it the way it was so they can turn the cabins over faster hoping it will be fine. Each of the times I have personally had an issue is when we requested them separated and they were made into one. Only once did someone that went with us have the opposite problem.

That's great! Hopefully the trend continues :D. I think they sometime rush and just leave it the way it was so they can turn the cabins over faster hoping it will be fine. Each of the times I have personally had an issue is when we requested them separated and they were made into one. Only once did someone that went with us have the opposite problem.

Ah. so maybe they notice when beds need to be put together but not so much when they need to be taken apart.

I happen to be out of town on business

This week and they didn't have a king bed available...I found myself looking at the two beds thinking "couldn't they push those together?" :confused:

Ah. so maybe they notice when beds need to be put together but not so much when they need to be taken apart.

This week and they didn't have a king bed available...I found myself looking at the two beds thinking "couldn't they push those together?" :confused:

Yeah, I think that more people have them together vs apart. So since they are already together, they just roll with that to make it quicker to turn over. There's a greater chance that they will remain that way and if they need to be switched, then they'll do it when they aren't so pressed for time. This is just a theory of mine and I have no facts to back it up, but it makes sense to me.

I suppose you could push them together but then you might have an issue with the top sheet and blanket not being big enough. Not to mention you need the "crack sealer" so you don't fall through! :')

Yeah, I think that more people have them together vs apart. So since they are already together, they just roll with that to make it quicker to turn over. There's a greater chance that they will remain that way and if they need to be switched, then they'll do it when they aren't so pressed for time. This is just a theory of mine and I have no facts to back it up, but it makes sense to me.

I suppose you could push them together but then you might have an issue with the top sheet and blanket not being big enough. Not to mention you need the "crack sealer" so you don't fall through! :')

Had my bed configured wrong when we walked in the cabin twice only. One was my kid's cabin when the beds were together instead of twins. The other was for our honeymoon when they were set up as twins instead of a queen:p.

I think the OPS idea is a good one. I'm all about as much housekeeping stuff done ahead of time as possible.

When we first booked our next one, I switched it online to king. About a month later, I logged on for something and just happened to notice it was back to twins. I guess it was a glitch. My wife swears she didn't change it back to "Leave it to Beaver" style. ;p I checked the other two cabins we have in our group and they hadn't changed. Now I keep checking it every so often to see if changes again. So far so good. But it did give me the idea of switching the other adult cabin back to twins as a practical joke. It's their first time and they don't research this stuff, so they'd never know all the steward does is put them together. If we really wanted to be evil, we could let them go the first night with twins. :evilsmile:

Yeah I think if you bring it to the attention of the blue cards that all these things are available, it'll create a lot of additional work for the stewards.
Don't first-timers have just as much right to know they can get a few of those extra items as anyone else? For crying out loud, they aren't perks.

When we first booked our next one, I switched it online to king. About a month later, I logged on for something and just happened to notice it was back to twins. I guess it was a glitch. My wife swears she didn't change it back to "Leave it to Beaver" style. ;p

Funny! I had that happen before and I seem to recall they were having issues at one point but I could be wrong. In my instances I made sure it was right up until the day it went offline. But not to say it can't happen. I wouldn't mind so much if they separated the beds if Bob went, but then I couldn't reach him to kick him and make him roll over when he snores [emoji42] [emoji39].

I agree. I think Carnival does want the Stewards to have SOME personal interaction with the passengers. And if you listen to John Heald that is the sole reason in offering only once a day service. (yes I find that laughable. I do like John but I sometimes have my "scratch my head" moments with some of the things he says.)

This wouldn't stop anyone from having a personal connection with their room steward. It would simply alleviate the pressure from having to try and get to every person for some specifics needs within the first few hours of day one.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I don't remember on the cruises when I was a kid, but since 2007, I haven't been on a Carnival cruise where the bed configuration was right. Maybe that's because I always travel with a friend, but it has always been set up as a king instead of 2 twins. I always specify twin in the online check in. I think the Stewards just don't look at it. So if we could be sure they were going to actually follow what people put into their online check in it would be a great idea.

I think the items on the Comfort Matters card are diversions to detract attention away from the stateroom cleaning reduction. I've cruised Carnival 4 times since January 2016 and have never even seen a Comfort Matters card in my cabin (I had to go out on the Internet to find out what the card looks like). On my last cruise, for the first time, the cabin steward came and asked me if I wanted morning or evening stateroom service. There were no robes in my cabin. I just laughed about that thinking to myself, well maybe that will keep the rest of us from having to watch passengers wandering around in their Carnival robes on the open decks and at Lido. Lol.

My point is, I don't think Comfort Matters was ever seriously intended to increase service. It was simply a nice way of letting passengers know stateroom service was being reduced.

This wouldn't stop anyone from having a personal connection with their room steward. It would simply alleviate the pressure from having to try and get to every person for some specifics needs within the first few hours of day one.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Agreed

I think it's a great idea! But limit the online portion to selection of morning/evening/both cabin service only. Perhaps include a note that says your cabin steward would be happy to provide other in-cabin amenities like extra hangars, towels, pillows, etc. Please make those requests to your steward once on-board. Easy-peasy! Then cabin stewards would know before the cruise even sails what their workload will be (i.e. # of guests that select the both options vs. once a day service) and they can plan accordingly.

Has this been rolled out to the entire fleet yet or is it still being tested on only a few ships? If it has been rolled out to the fleet it would appear to make sense to offer at least some of the options prior to boarding.

Over all of my Carnival cruises, they've gotten my bed selection ("two twin beds") right...exactly once. :)

Not that Royal has been any better; I think they've messed up each of the last three years,on a music charter I take.

"You know you might cruise a LOT when...you stay at a hotel and instantly wonder why they couldn't just push the beds together or split them apart." :D