44 pounds a bag? Seriously?

rsquare

Have your hair done and wear lots of makeup.......then no one will look at your shoes. :D

I am lost then!! I have short hair with no hope of putting it up! And I'm afraid I don't do makeup. Ahh well, I will just have to reply on personality to get me by.:D

Looks like we are on the same cruise. I will be the one in the same shoes each night....

What do you do with multiple empty cases when you have unpacked?

David.

When I did a crossing last time, I had two large cases, a leather holdall and a man-bag.

Two cases went under the bed, the holdall and man-bag in the bottom of the wardrobe.

Not multiple ones they don't.

David

How many bags are you walking about? Do they stack inside of each other as a set?

Someone mentioned on here a while back, if you leave them open, like an open clam shell, they fit very easily under the bed… I mean, unless you are doing a Joan Collins with your multiple LvT steamer trunks… :D

We nest cases under the bed and last time put the extras in the walk in wardrobe. Also if storage is a problem, the open case under the bed can be used as a drawer.

I don't care if people wear the same clothes and shoes every single evening, but personally I enjoy coordinating my shoes and clothes. But then I AM a shoeaholic!

For women.......different outfits require different shoes. You can be practical and pack so that you only require one pair of evening shoes........or you can enjoy the experience and dress to impress. Either choice works. :D

I am a woman...and even if I were being extravagant, I would, at most, need 2 pairs of dress shoes...I'm pretty good at coordinating my outfits. :rolleyes: :D

:eek: How in the world do you survive with 7 pairs of foot wear? Do you wear them more than once ? How do you face your new friends you make on board? You know they are looking at your shoes and if you wear the same shoes every day, they must be talking behind your back about it?? And please, you can't be serious, you wear Flip Flops? How Gauche!!! These are Cunard Vessels, not Carnival ships. :p

LOL! I know, right? Imagine, wearing clothing and ~gasp~ shoes more than once on the same cruise!:D Let them laugh!

Personally, I don't bring nearly as many - no hiking boots, no flip-flops, no water shoes. I just bring a couple pairs of shoes that are comfy for walking (because, you just know that the one pair that's been comfy for years will suddenly and for no apparent reason decide to cause blisters), plus a pair or 2 of dress shoes. A week? Ha! That'll suffice for 2 weeks!

If it weren't for formal nights, I'd be carrying a backpack and a good-sized tote for a just week.

Looks like we are on the same cruise. I will be the one in the same shoes each night....

Great! You know....I don't bring lots of shoes to be stylish. I'd be thrilled to have one pair for days on board and one pair for evenings. I just didn't plan my best wardrobe well and each pair only go well with a few outfits. If you were smart enough to make a few pairs work....good for you. And remember....people only notice when your shoes DON'T match.....not when you wear the same shoes. :D

Not everyone is the same, and if someone wants to wear the same pair who cares? Not me. But I love my shoes. Big deal. You may pack a backpack, I pack 4 bags with gowns, cocktail wear, day wear, etc. And there is only one person I care about noticing my outfits - and he loves to see me in my different outfits & stilettos! I brought a dozen pairs in Britannia, I brought a dozen pairs in the Grills. One person may not like bringing all the outfits, but I love shopping and dressing for dinner. A fine pair of Italian shoes is like a work of art - why leave all that beauty at home in a closet?

Not everyone is the same, and if someone wants to wear the same pair who cares? Not me. But I love my shoes. Big deal. You may pack a backpack, I pack 4 bags with gowns, cocktail wear, day wear, etc. And there is only one person I care about noticing my outfits - and he loves to see me in my different outfits & stilettos! I brought a dozen pairs in Britannia, I brought a dozen pairs in the Grills. One person may not like bringing all the outfits, but I love shopping and dressing for dinner. A fine pair of Italian shoes is like a work of art - why leave all that beauty at home in a closet?

You go Girl! I'll be looking for the gal with the snappy tootsies! ( I'm only taking 6 prs!)

I dance in the ballroom each night. Last year I discovered that the heel was worn down on my dancing shoes. Panic, panic! I only had one pair of dancing shoes. One other dancer was amazed as she had brought six pairs onboard with her.

As for the dancing shoes, the ship's carpenter could have repaired them for me but I might have been without them for two days. In the end I had a wonderful time walking around Odessa looking for a shoe repair shop. With the help of gestures and lots of friendly people, I eventually got the job done.

Having a dance shoe disaster is my biggest fear on a cruise ship (even more than a sinking ship), which is why I always try to sneak in an extra pair, no matter how frugal I am being with my packing. I have about 14 pair of Very Fine Dance Shoes in styles #1620 and #6029 in pretty much every color they make, and have never had a dance shoe failure, but have had enough heels break on regular shoes that I still worry. I love these shoes and their fit so much, that I bought duplicates to use as street shoes in the colors I wear the most.

Amazingly, however, I did find that I was able to dance in my fancy sequined thong sandals at a wedding last week when I broke my 4th toe on my right foot and wasn't able to wear my dance shoes. I danced so much in those sandals that I wore out the insole. I guess they were made for walking, not dancing. :p

When I did a crossing last time, I had two large cases, a leather holdall and a man-bag.

Two cases went under the bed, the holdall and man-bag in the bottom of the wardrobe.

All that luggage for a crossing? I spend approx. 3 weeks on the ship and don't have that many! But then aren't you the one who won the contest at our M&G as to whom had bought the most new clothes for the trip?:D

By the way, I usually have 4 pairs of shoes. One for evening, 2 pairs for daytime which includes a pair that are suitable for going ashore and doing heavy-duty walking and the 4th pair can double as daytime shoes or on informal evenings.

• 2 weeks later...
:eek: How in the world do you survive with 7 pairs of foot wear? Do you wear them more than once ? How do you face your new friends you make on board? You know they are looking at your shoes and if you wear the same shoes every day, they must be talking behind your back about it?? And please, you can't be serious, you wear Flip Flops? How Gauche!!! These are Cunard Vessels, not Carnival ships. :p

Carnival owns Cunard.

We did predominantly land-based travel using trains in Europe for quite a number of years before going on a Cunard voyage (2 transatlantics). Therefore, we are used to traveling light with just two carry-ons and a tote. For the transatlantics we added one large "suiter"-type case for all our fancy duds, and made out just fine. I thought it weighed a ton, but when it was weighed at the airport we were surprised to learn it was only about 43 lbs. If we'd had longer than an 8-day voyage, or had been doing port visits where we needed a wider variety of clothing, we probably would have taken an additional large case. I now have a very lightweight large case we could bring, which weighs I think 4.75 lbs, probably half the weight of comparable-size cases.

To each his/her own regarding shoes, but I've never been a shoe-holic so am not about to change that for a trip. For formal and informal evenings, I've brought one pair of heels and one pair of dressy-ish sandals, but again, I've only been on 7 or 8-day crossings. The sandals are a style that can be used in less dressy situations too. My husband has brought one pair of black dress shoes, a pair of sturdy sneakers (trainers for you Brits), and a pair of brown shoes which are god for walking but which can be used for informal evenings or going out to restaurants ashore. For me, an ocean voyage is not an opportunity to see how many outfits I can bring/wear, but that's also the way I am in my everyday life. Ladies (and gents): How often do you look down to see people's footwear? :D

I think the "said" limit of 20Kilos per bag is because Cunard sometimes can use the cheaper airlines that restrict you to that weight with out an excess charge. Also if you are unable to hide your suitcases in your stateroom then the Steward/ess will take care of them for you.

many of the restaurant staff are working (voluntarily?) on ebarkation days as packers and obviously they hand-lift a lot of bags and suitcases.

IMO this is all to protect the people from handling too heavy items and we are trying to respect the weight limit for that reason.

. I thought it weighed a ton, but when it was weighed at the airport we were surprised to learn it was only about 43 lbs. :D

You don't have a scale to weigh cases at home?

You can get a quite cheap little weighing device for cases, or even use a bathroom scale which works well.

Better than getting nasty surprises at the checkin.

David.

• 2 weeks later...

I am just back from a 'taster' 2 days on QM2. wow! Can't wait to get back on board for a proper voyage.

In my case: 2 pairs of heels, nude and black...2 flat ship shoes and boots for disembarking.

I could not face the l o n g walks aft to forward/forward to aft in my high heels.

How do you ladies do it??!!

What about if the seas are choppy?

Since I am now planning a TA, any advice welcome please.