Cruising with Dones

Fact: The policy statement is clear as a bell.

But the OP can challenge all he wants if he so desires. Why simply accept a company's policy? :rolleyes:

Dontcha' know, some always want an exception because THEIR situation is different.:rolleyes:

What is hard to understand is why OP is posting here. He KNOWS from the Princess site that drones are prohibited. He seems to hope that an exception will be made for him -- so why is he talking to us? Only Princess can make exceptions to Princess' published rules - so why are we being brought into this? Does he want us to second his request to Princess?

What is hard to understand is why OP is posting here. He KNOWS from the Princess site that drones are prohibited. He seems to hope that an exception will be made for him -- so why is he talking to us? Only Princess can make exceptions to Princess' published rules - so why are we being brought into this? Does he want us to second his request to Princess?

Might want us to sign his petition.:D

Unfortunately, the rambling horde on these boards have no clue on drones, drone photography, or really anything remotely close to the subject.

Check further with the cruise line, you may find some help there. Otherwise these boards are only useful to figure out how to sneak in 4 cases of coke in a Pepsi ship.

I hope you figure it out, the end results are amazing and worth a bit of research.

The OP explained they posted in the two areas so as to get a quicker response.

Don't think they liked the responses they received though.

Hi guys,

Thinking of taking my DJI Mavic on board on Princess Cruises to take some shots of the Carribbean islands. Per the Princess Cruise website, the following bullet point under "Prohibited Items" refers to drones:

Drones (Unmanned Areal Vehicles - UAVs, Remote Piloted Areal vehciles - RPAs, or any other remote controlled areal devices/toys)

Does anyone have experience taking drones on board? I intend to only use them off the ship (glad to hand it over to security to safeguard and give it back to me while leaving the ship to get on the islands)

Let me know what you guys think

Their ship, their rules.

He is trolling for ways to circumvent the rules. Much like people asking what methods to use to smuggle aboard booze. Or asking how often people get caught with banned clothes irons or the such. He is looking for the best trick to get what he wants, in spite of the rules.

Edited by sloopsailor

You never know, they may change their policy as the OP is a responsible licenced Drone operator and it has been flagged here on CC.

Why? Being a "responsible licensed Drone operator" is irrelevant to their policy. As mentioned, in the US everyone must register their drones with the FAA in order to operate them legally. That does not correlate to being a responsible operator - just that they are registered. Nor does that carry any weight in any other country as a port of call, which may have their own rules regarding their use. I also doubt that being flagged here on CC would carry any weight with any cruise line regarding such a specific question as this as only about 5% of all cruisers are members of CC. :rolleyes:

Edited by leaveitallbehind

OP - one of the ship's photographers had a post a while back where after month's of requests and a ton of red tape she actually got permission to fly her drone around the ship in Santorini(i think it was Santorini).

This was a ship employee/contractor and it took her a very long time to get permission from both the cruise line and the Greek authorities...so I would pass if I were you.

I hope you have a great cruise...

Unfortunately, the rambling horde on these boards have no clue on drones, drone photography, or really anything remotely close to the subject.

No clue? How much of a clue is needed to know that we are talking about remotely operated flying video cams which are prohibited on Princess ships -- which happens to be the subject?

If you meant people have to understand the technology of r/c, video cams, basic vto aircraft - then you might have a point. But then, you must object to people talking about cruising - because posters may be uninformed on the fields of marine architecture, navigation, port call negotiations, etc.

Insults may make one seem superior (in their own viewto all of us) and thus okay to ignore rules meant forveveryone else. E Selective obedience to rules based upon what the individual wants.

Edited by sail7seas

Check further with the cruise line, you may find some help there. Otherwise these boards are only useful to figure out how to sneak in 4 cases of coke in a Pepsi ship.

I hope you figure it out, the end results are amazing and worth a bit of research.

Well, count me in that "rambling, clueless horde", as I know nothing about drones. However, I do have enough cruising experience to know that the "thou shalt not bring" rules are enforced, even to the point of absurdity.

Boarding Celebrity once, I had a small, waiter-style corkscrew confiscated from my carry-on luggage. The security line agent actually called the 1/2 " foil cutter on it "a folding knife". I pointed out to him that I would be handed a real knife, at dinner that night. He just shrugged, and suggested that I petition ships' security, for the return of my corkscrew -- which I successfully did.

I did like your suggestion that the OP contact the cruise line in advance, to see if there was any way to legally bring the drone onboard. My guess is that they will probably say "no". And they may state some reasons that the OP had not thought about -- but, at least he'll have pursued the issue as far as he can.

Hi guys,

Thinking of taking my DJI Mavic on board on Princess Cruises to take some shots of the Carribbean islands. Per the Princess Cruise website, the following bullet point under "Prohibited Items" refers to drones:

Drones (Unmanned Areal Vehicles - UAVs, Remote Piloted Areal vehciles - RPAs, or any other remote controlled areal devices/toys)

Does anyone have experience taking drones on board? I intend to only use them off the ship (glad to hand it over to security to safeguard and give it back to me while leaving the ship to get on the islands)

Let me know what you guys think

Welcome to the wonderful world of Cruise Critic where drones, Rum Runners and tipping makes people see red faster then a space shuttle :D

I have had my drone with me on 21nts onboard Royal Caribbean, everybody here told me that it couldn't be done and that all sorts of horrible thing would happen to me if I tried...

Guess what? I had NO problem at all.

Everyone here told me that it was impossible to board the ship with a drone (I have a Phantom II), even after I got the permission from Royal.

Talk to Princess and explain that you are willing to hand in the drone during your time onboard.

Why? Being a "responsible licensed Drone operator" is irrelevant to their policy. As mentioned, in the US everyone must register their drones with the FAA in order to operate them legally. That does not correlate to being a responsible operator - just that they are registered. Nor does that carry any weight in any other country as a port of call, which may have their own rules regarding their use. I also doubt that being flagged here on CC would carry any weight with any cruise line regarding such a specific question as this as only about 5% of all cruisers are members of CC. :rolleyes:

Sorry but my sarcasm symbol wasn't posted for some reason.:o

Well, count me in that "rambling, clueless horde", as I know nothing about drones. However, I do have enough cruising experience to know that the "thou shalt not bring" rules are enforced, even to the point of absurdity.

Boarding Celebrity once, I had a small, waiter-style corkscrew confiscated from my carry-on luggage. The security line agent actually called the 1/2 " foil cutter on it "a folding knife". I pointed out to him that I would be handed a real knife, at dinner that night. He just shrugged, and suggested that I petition ships' security, for the return of my corkscrew -- which I successfully did.

I did like your suggestion that the OP contact the cruise line in advance, to see if there was any way to legally bring the drone onboard. My guess is that they will probably say "no". And they may state some reasons that the OP had not thought about -- but, at least he'll have pursued the issue as far as he can.

Reminds me when I had my small torch (50mm) flagged as a weapon by security as they thought the metal strip that is inside the torch could be used as a knife. That was taken but the metal needle shaped pen was allowed. Ridiculous really.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Cruise Critic where drones, Rum Runners and tipping makes people see red faster then a space shuttle :D

I have had my drone with me on 21nts onboard Royal Caribbean, everybody here told me that it couldn't be done and that all sorts of horrible thing would happen to me if I tried...

Guess what? I had NO problem at all.

Everyone here told me that it was impossible to board the ship with a drone (I have a Phantom II), even after I got the permission from Royal.

Talk to Princess and explain that you are willing to hand in the drone during your time onboard.

This exactly what has been suggested as it is Princess that needs to provide the permission not us on CC.

Not only does one have to deal with Princess, but they must also realize that each island is a foreign country (except for the USVI and PR) with their own laws. One might quickly lose their drone (seized by local authorities) and perhaps find themselves in additional legal jeopardy.

Hank

Glad there is a thread on this..

My Brother is licensed with the FAA. He is getting ready to go his first cruise with us.

He wants to bring his drone and writes for Drone Magazine. ( He has had the cover story two or three times)

We will be on the Ruby Princess.

It looks like from what I read on here.. RCCL.. has allowed it. Princess does not.

Is that correct? Thx.