Must book Shore Ex through ship?

babs275

Curious what the current reality is - Coral World in St Thomas says if Helmet Dive is offered by ship you must book with ship - wondering if they really police that.

I am a rebel by nature and don't want to be rushed to or from Coral World and would like to have the option of doing something else before returning directly to the ship.

Any recent experience?

first hand experience here, my son worked in St.Thomas as a Captain and tour guide. His company contracted with NCL and Princess. The cruise ship charged $75 for this tour. Hotel and non Princess or NCL guests paid $55 booked privately. His company was not allowed to book privately with his contracted ships guests. Many dive companies have exclusive contracts as well. Yes, you could lie and they would have no way to know, that's your conscience. I never use Carnival for shore excursions. I can tell you for sure, Coral World is a public building. I love Coki Beach, diving, snorkeling, great food, and Coral World is right there. There is no reason you could not take a taxi or Safari bus to Coki on your own. You would not need to ask anyone, call anyone or lie. Coral World is not a tour operator and will be happy to take your money.

LOL - just make sure that you don't have your Carnival pool towel or sea pass visible.

Haha - good point! So pretty easy to get a taxi to Coki Beach and then Coral World is close right?

It's my understanding that they will ask you which hotel you are staying at and will confirm that with the hotel. I know that some tour operators specify that under those circumstances they will cancel your booking and not issue a refund, so make sure you read the fine print carefully.

Just because you book the excursion through the cruise line doesn't mean you have to take the cruise line's transportation back to the ship. We've gone off on our own after a ship tour. Just let the driver know you're making your own arrangements so they don't wait for you.

Keep in mind that if you do not book through the ship and you are late or anything extreme happens in returning to the ship, they will not wait for you.

Happy Sailing!

True but if you watch the time and plan to be back well before sailing time you can get a better excursion privately.

Just because you book the excursion through the cruise line doesn't mean you have to take the cruise line's transportation back to the ship. We've gone off on our own after a ship tour. Just let the driver know you're making your own arrangements so they don't wait for you.

The wrinkle is that only 2 of the 3 people will do the Helmet Dive and there doesn't seem to be a way to just get the CW admission and transportation for the one not doing it :(

Because it would be a lie.

AND??

Not that I would do it I figure if the company won't let me book direct then frankly I just won't give them my money

However, they were asking about how to go direct and to do that you can say you visiting family

What ever you decide do remember that ship's time may not be local time. Last Nov while at Coral world our driver stated she would be back to pick us up at 3. Well at 2pm ship's time a Coral World employee came round calling our names, we were just walking out of the Sea Lion demo, telling us that our driver was waiting and ready to leave if we did not get to the parking lot in less than 5 minutes. Ship was on Eastern and the island on Atlantic time.

Won't the cruise line match the price if you can show you could get excursion cheaper ? We booked a CCL excursion in Puerto Vallarta and the price was the same for non- cruise guests. FYI I've could only get it through cruise since date and time was specific to itinerary.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Won't the cruise line match the price if you can show you could get excursion cheaper ? We booked a CCL excursion in Puerto Vallarta and the price was the same for non- cruise guests. FYI I've could only get it through cruise since date and time was specific to itinerary.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is true but I believe the price match guarantee specifies that all the details of the competing excursion be the exactly the same as CCL's excursion and, by default, must be a different excursion provider. If I understand the OP's situation, it's the same excursion provider.

AND??

Not that I would do it I figure if the company won't let me book direct then frankly I just won't give them my money

However, they were asking about how to go direct and to do that you can say you visiting family

Ah, well, if you have no integrity then feel free to lie as you wish. Just don't get pissy when someone decides to lie to you to benefit themselves because you're advising to do the same thing.

If lying to get what one wants has become the socially acceptable norm then this country has seriously gone to ****.

Ah, well, if you have no integrity then feel free to lie as you wish. Just don't get pissy when someone decides to lie to you to benefit themselves because you're advising to do the same thing.

If lying to get what one wants has become the socially acceptable norm then this country has seriously gone to ****.

I think we're there already. Mom is taking junior on the bus and the fare for those under 12 is half, so she tells junior to tell the bus driver that he is 11 even though he is 12 and a half. He tells the bus driver that and the bus driver says "when do you turn 12?". Junior replies "As soon as I step off of this bus.":D

Whoa guys - this thread took an entirely nasty turn! I am not looking to book this to save money - I am looking at trying to get a 10 year old boy there to do this helmet dive and his Papa who wants to stay with us is medically unable to do it. I don't see an option on the Carnival site for just Coral World transport and admission.

I understand that there are a lot of people on these boards trying to game the system - I am not one of them.

Thanks to those that gave helpful replies.