Sorting Out the Pricing Differences

sengsational

The pricing, discounts, freebees, services included, etc makes it less than clear which river cruises are really a better "deal" and by how much. I've seen some generalities like X is more than Y, but you get free booze at 8am if you want it (chokes just thinking about it). So obviously some amenities are of value to some, and not of value to others, and that makes comparing across cruise lines hard. But even within one line, the brochure fares seem to be always 50% off? There always seems to be some free or discounted airfare available. They offer to cover some odd expenses or add some odd amenity that I have no clue how much it's worth? Seems to be designed to confuse and obfuscate the real pricing.

I'm NOT interested in learning "which is the cheapest", but to learn from those experienced in shopping these cruises, 1) how you spot a value from a so-so (or bad) value, 2) what percent is the difference between a good value and just an average value, 3) do the sales incentives (like reduced airfare, sailing soon prices, etc) make that much difference?

If you're familiar with "dealnews", a "hotness" of 5 out of 5 is a screamin' good deal, all things considered. The ATC means if the cruise was shunned by others because of some known factor, that would be considered in the hotness. A low price here would NOT be a 5/5. So it's a rating system that compares what 'like' things are currently selling for compared to each other. Or it compares what this thing was recently really (not fictionally) selling for earlier, and now is less.

So considering my question (2), above, if the difference between a deal hotness of 5/5, and a hotness of 2/5 is only 5%, it's not worth worrying about. But if it's 25%, that would get my attention. This would be a gut-feel for those that have shopped these cruises and know the differences between ships, lines, seasons, itineraries, etc.

What I have discovered is that River Cruises have a different pricing strategy than Ocean Cruises. The reason being is that the inventory of cabins on River Cruises is very low (125-200 pax per sailing) compared to (up to 3,000 pax) on ocean sailings. When you compare the various River Cruise Lines you are comparing brands. Usually the more expensive the River Cruise Line is, the more extra amenities they offer. Each cruise line does offer incentives for booking in advance, and they also add incentives for certain sailings which are not booking as quickly as they'd like.

If you want to find the value, I'd first start with the square footage of the cabin, then check to see which excursions that I am interesting in taking are included in the price. Also gratuities are included in some but not all lines, figure the suggested gratuities and then add that to your bottom line. If the quoted price includes airfare check to see how much the added airfare is compared to you booking it yourself. Remember if the cruise line books your airfare, you give up most of the control, including the ability to chose your seats, with some airlines.

And as you check with a good TA, research Grand Circle and Vantage on your own . . . they deal direct with the consumer.

If you have a flexible schedule, last minute booking can be a real bargain. Using real pricing, not some hyped up overpriced brochure figure, we saved a lot. But, you need to be reasonably familiar with real prices.

You really can't go wrong with ANY of the companies discussed on this board. They all have cruisers who love them and the product offered.

Decide first what itinerary you think you want and the dates that work best for you, then see who is sailing that route in your time frame.

One caveat, Viking's 2 for 1 IS the Per Person rate and that sale really never ends

regardless of what the ad says.

AND Viking requires payment nearly immediately, never mind the cruise is 18 months away.

Most other lines want final Pmt 90 to 120 days from sailing.

OP, your profile does not say where you are from....some of the info I gave applies only to US customers. (Won't you please edit your profile so we can assist you better)

Edited by JVilleGal

I agree as most of the cruise lines mentioned are for sure good, but certainly some better than others.

Lisa and I are sailing on Scenic Tours and I must say for the price that is paid you get a lot more for your money.

With Private Limo Transfers between airport and ship and from ship back to airport and or Hotel. Big factor is ALL get a Private Butler, All Gratuities and Tour Guides Pre Paid, Daily restocking of your Bar with Wine, Beer and Top Shelf Alcohol. 85 % Cabins with True Balconies not these so called French Balconies, Electric Bicycles, Your Own Scenic River view GPS unit, that will take you on your own tour and get you back to the ship, Multipe tours in each port as to choose from, All Balconies have Scenic Sun Lounge an electric clear glass window that will enclose your balcony should there be inclement weather, some of the suites have unlimited Laundry and Dry Cleaning. Currently the largest cabins on the River with the two new ships that are being launched The Jasper and The Opal they have what is called The Royal Panorama Suite and at 475 Sq Ft. shall be the largest current cabins on the river. Yes must say that we are lucky enough as to be in one on our trip Jewels of Europe September 2,2015 Amsterdam to Budapest.

So for us Scenic Tour is giving us a lot more for what we are paying for and like Kathleen had said last payment isn't due until 90 days prior to sailing.

Lisa and Gary

You really can't go wrong with ANY of the companies discussed on this board. They all have cruisers who love them and the product offered.

Decide first what itinerary you think you want and the dates that work best for you, then see who is sailing that route in your time frame.

One caveat, Viking's 2 for 1 IS the Per Person rate and that sale really never ends

regardless of what the ad says.

AND Viking requires payment nearly immediately, never mind the cruise is 18 months away.

Most other lines want final Pmt 90 to 120 days from sailing.

OP, your profile does not say where you are from....some of the info I gave applies only to US customers. (Won't you please edit your profile so we can assist you better)

Some lines will give you a substantial, around 10%, if you pay in full a year ahead of time.

I don't have any problem with that as long as it's my choice and not a requirement. A certain other company seems to say to get their 2 for 1 sale you have to pay immediately (maybe is 30 days of booking). When the "special 2 for 1" is really all the cabin is worth... Just slick advertising and of course there are the disappointed folks who actually think 2 people can sail for that price ;) oh well let's leave that for another conversation !

Edited by JVilleGal

I agree as most of the cruise lines mentioned are for sure good, but certainly some better than others.

Lisa and I are sailing on Scenic Tours and I must say for the price that is paid you get a lot more for your money.

With Private Limo Transfers between airport and ship and from ship back to airport and or Hotel. Big factor is ALL get a Private Butler, All Gratuities and Tour Guides Pre Paid, Daily restocking of your Bar with Wine, Beer and Top Shelf Alcohol. 85 % Cabins with True Balconies not these so called French Balconies, Electric Bicycles, Your Own Scenic River view GPS unit, that will take you on your own tour and get you back to the ship, Multipe tours in each port as to choose from, All Balconies have Scenic Sun Lounge an electric clear glass window that will enclose your balcony should there be inclement weather, some of the suites have unlimited Laundry and Dry Cleaning. Currently the largest cabins on the River with the two new ships that are being launched The Jasper and The Opal they have what is called The Royal Panorama Suite and at 475 Sq Ft. shall be the largest current cabins on the river. Yes must say that we are lucky enough as to be in one on our trip Jewels of Europe September 2,2015 Amsterdam to Budapest.

So for us Scenic Tour is giving us a lot more for what we are paying for and like Kathleen had said last payment isn't due until 90 days prior to sailing.

Lisa and Gary

Nice as all that sounds, you are looking at $11k more than my line would cost me, balcony as the comparison. That's almost twice as much; for me there just isn't the value added in the comparison.

Everyone knows that I prefer Tauck but it didn't just happen overnight. Before our first Tauck river cruise in 2011 and again before our cruise in France last year, again with Tauck, we spent a considerable amount of time comparing all cruise lines on a cost per diem basis. My wonderful business accountant wife on both occasions prepared spread sheets on each and every company doing our itinerary and brought everything back to a simple figure.

In our case the cost per diem for Tauck compared more than favourably with every other company. It is an exercise I would encourage everyone should attempt because although upfront Tauck may appear to be more expensive when you factor in all the elements of costing used by other companies true figures do appear.

I realise this exercise is very time consuming and will not sway those of you who are in love with one company or another because you will find reasons to disagree but in all honesty there is no better way to cost your next cruise then bringing everything back to apples v apples via a spreadsheet.

I realise this exercise is very time consuming and will not sway those of you who are in love with one company or another because you will find reasons to disagree but in all honesty there is no better way to cost your next cruise then bringing everything back to apples v apples via a spreadsheet.

I do agree with this.... I did this when our Tulip Time cruise with Scenic was moved back a week - and I wanted to see what it would cost me for a comparable cruise with another company if I stuck with the original dates. In the end - stayed with Scenic.

Comparing apples to apples in the river cruise world isn't always easy - especially if one has a taste for a specific type of apple... Someone mentioned cabin size - but this isn't an issue for us. Same with balconies (we book aquarium class by choice....) and with bikes or gym options.

We start with itinerary, then dates - and then start comparing what is available. Sometimes, there are multiple options - sometimes only one fits our needs.

Enjoy your planning!!!

Fran

... we spent a considerable amount of time comparing all cruise lines on a cost per diem basis. My wonderful business accountant wife on both occasions prepared spread sheets on each and every company doing our itinerary and brought everything back to a simple figure ....

I was worried that would be the answer....hard work is required if I want to do my normal over-analyzing of the purchase. It would be easier if I had a solid preference for a destination, or time frame. But I have neither.

I'll probably find a travel agent and have them bring back some specific options. May I can hijack my own thread and ask how one finds an unbiased travel agent that's experienced with river cruises?

Comparing apples to apples in the river cruise world isn't always easy - especially if one has a taste for a specific type of apple... Someone mentioned cabin size - but this isn't an issue for us. Same with balconies (we book aquarium class by choice....) and with bikes or gym options.

Enjoy your planning!!!

Fran

Apples to apples? I find it difficult to get to the fruit to fruit comparison. :eek:

Several of the amenities provided by the "upscale" lines have little or no value added for us. We do limited optional excursions; we wander and explore on our own . . . little value added with a plethora of excursions. I get butler, footman and valet confused. ;) And the list could go on and on.

We discovered that putting a detailed spreadsheet together is overkill for us. Cruise fare, air fare, typical tip amount plus any optionals that interest us is enough data for a cost comparison.

Apples to apples? I find it difficult to get to the fruit to fruit comparison. :eek:

Several of the amenities provided by the "upscale" lines have little or no value added for us. We do limited optional excursions; we wander and explore on our own . . . little value added with a plethora of excursions. I get butler, footman and valet confused. ;) And the list could go on and on.

We discovered that putting a detailed spreadsheet together is overkill for us. Cruise fare, air fare, typical tip amount plus any optionals that interest us is enough data for a cost comparison.

This was the type of response I knew was coming. Let me please try to clarify my last post. Try substituting like for like instead of apples to apples. I fully appreciate that some prefer a certain size stateroom or prefer not to have a balcony french or real so if that's the case exclude that detail from your spreadsheet. If you don't want options included in the price then take those companies out of the spreadsheet. BUT no matter what your preferences are if you think you can ascertain the true and total cost of you cruise by estimation then you are wrong. You just might be surprised just how much closer in cost two companies are in total price when you add in all the "optional extras".

Hi, you really need to try to figure out where you want to travel. Then figure out how much you want to spend, then look at the lines that match those two wants/needs. Next what is important when you travel. For us it is good food, an international mix of passengers, hotel style beds. When we went the first time we used a travel agent and glad we did. As we have become more confident in traveling, we mostly do our own. Research the size of the cabin and the furniture included. GCT still has pullman style beds in Europe--a real deal breaker for us. Viking's standard cabin is larger and cheaper than a French balcony on the new longboats. We have been on 20 river cruises with one more in the fall--we have traveled on most of the major lines--still not on Scenic, Evergreen or Tauck. And since we are running out of rivers probably won't sail with those lines. Sorry to tell you that there is work involved in picking that first trip. Another way to decide where to travel is stick a pin in the map and go for it. Good luck. Pat

I agree with Ozjohnno. We orignially were looking at Viking as that was the only line we had heard of. TA suggested Uniworld and gave be thier brochure. When I first looked at the price difference I was shocked and wondered why in the world I would go with them instead of Viking(had not discovered CC at this time). So I began deciding what I really wanted in our River Cruise experiece and first started with a cabin comparison. I knew we wanted balcony of some sort and preferred a little larger room and bathroom if possible. Then I began putting the number to tips, number of excursions, perks include due to a suite such as free laundry, transfers from airport, alcohol, early booking discounts, etc...When I was done I found there was very little difference in the price. But like others have said, there were some things included such as unlimited alcohol that really wasn't a value for me(but I had to have a base line of comparison as Ozjohnno said) but now with numbers in hand started really looking at decor, amenities of the ship (such as pool, spa, movie theater),fact the Uniworld bathroom had 2 sinks, room service for breakfast, fruit basket in room, snacks in afternoon delivered to room, etc... So it was an easy decision for me to go with Uniworld at that point because of the price not being radically different and the so many things that appealed to my taste. I certainly understand that the inclusiveness of Uniworld, Tauck and Scenic do not meet the needs or desires of eveyone(I'm personally thrilled theres so many choices) but I do agree its important for people who are researching their first river cruise and the pricing issue to really have a good frame of comparison to make an informed decision for themselves

I agree that a spreadsheet approach is worthwhile. But, because a lot of amenities offered by some lines are worth $0 to us, we just don't bother factoring them into our adjustments to arrive at a relative price point for decision making. I just have not figured out how to assign differential cost to a bed that affords me "a good night sleep" or to a one sink v. double sink bathroom.

Certainly, there are some things that are deal breakers. But I guess I'm just a "satisficer," when it comes to traveling.

I am often accused of being Type A, but this spreadsheet approach seems too much work even for me. I think it's best to concentrate on what's MOST important to you on a trip, especially since most river cruises are more alike than different and since many people who have done this tedious job report that the price differences are also pretty small once you factor everything in. For me, the most important thing was the quality of the cuisine and of the included wines -- that led me to AMA without all this tedious analysis. The prices seemed ok for the level of luxury provided, so we booked -- and are very happy with our choice.

One last post on this subject. The OP asked the question - "Sorting out the Price Differences" and I gave the way we did it. I agree that guessing the price difference based on feelings is one way to go about it but I just wanted to give the OP the spreadsheet version. Hard work? You're correct but as someone who does not have the means to take a river cruise every year like many who post here I found the effort worthwhile.

We absolutely did a spreadsheet so that we could compare per diem rates (and the inclusions were in notes fields in the spreadsheet - so we could do some calculations about what transport or meals or drinks or whatever might need to be added). I wanted to be able to track the amenities that are important to us (as noted often - we all have different priorities that are neither right nor wrong -they're just our personal priorities).

I love to plan travel and I'm a control freak. I personally don't use a travel agent because I want to do it all myself. Once I had some ideas of what sort of itinerary we were interested in, I started tracking prices over time (so that you are able to recognize a "good" deal, as well as learn the high or low seasons for prices).

(but also, there are consolidator websites that we are not allowed to mention by name but where you could get a quick overview of a few different lines doing similar itineraries - that's the view from 50,000 feet above the earth and then you can start to focus on what looks appealing to you)

If you have some flexibility in your dates, make sure you check out the specials each cruise line offers on certain itineraries and dates. We started looking at a Rhine cruise, and thanks to a good deal from one line, were able to take a trip that's six nights longer on a more inclusive line for only a few hundred more per person. Had we waited another month, we could have taken an even LONGER trip for less money.