Carnival Foresees an End to the Era of Cheap Caribbean Cruises

EZ4

The only reason we are going on a cruise this summer, our third cruise, is because of price.

But this will be our last for some time...and if prices go way up...could be our last period. Have other ideas in mind for future vacations.

I'm loyal to Carnival (nothing against the other lines) and would never jump ship. And as for not filling the ships can you post where you found this fact.

It is right in the article: “We’re holding the price and giving up the occupancy, and that’s worked very well for us over the last year,” Chief Financial Officer David Bernstein said"

It should be noted (despite the error in the article), this is Carnival corporate, not Carnival Cruise Lines, so they could be talking about price increases on their more upscale lines, not necessarily CCL.

Got so bad huh. Yea that 106 million 2nd qtr profit sucks. I know that's not setting the world on fire for a company as big a CCL, but as much as you eat, sleep and dream about how how bad you think it is, 90k passengers a week (most paying a few not) would disagree. I do however agree to keep being successful in the future the freebies and low price bookings have to change.

As RCCL & NCL's quarters end 6/30/14 I compared CCL's quarter ending 2/28/14 vs the others ending 3/31/14 CCl's net profit was 2.0% RCCL was 5.3% and NCL was 3.3%

The only reason we cruise, aside from the fact that we love to, is that we get a great "Bang for our Buck!" If prices were to go up too much...we wouldn't cruise anymore. We are the kind of cruisers that spend money on pictures, excursions, and in the gift shops (the DH usually buys the DS and me watches on each cruise). We don't spend a lot of money on booze, rarely go to the upscale restaurants, and gamble very little. We would never spend a lot of money on a cruise as the DH is close to retirement and I'm retired already.

Edited by mousey

I agree with many of the previous posts; our family cruises because it is so affordable when compared to most land based vacations. Bottom line, for us anyway, if prices increase dramatically then we'll be looking to jump ship (pun intended).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't get the whole "cheap" deal. Royal was cheaper than Carnival in Galveston for our last cruise. I have compared markets in FL, and find prices all over the place.

All brands have cheaper fairs for the shorter cruises and such but comparable in terms of scale to each companies "big and little guns" for what they want to market as their brand, i will say it again, Royal can be cheaper many times.

I like Carnival because it feels like a cruise, my Royal cruise felt like I was on vacation but not the "fun feel" i like, at times i felt like I was in a Mall at home :P. That wont sway me from sailing Royal again though, I like other things about their brand.

To me a cruise with no matter what company almost always beats a land based vacation.

We are not cruise novices nor are we loyal to any brand although Carnival is our most traveled. Our 2015 8 day southern Caribbean booked cruise is about 1.9 times higher than our 2013 7 day eastern Caribbean cruise but the itinerary did not compare to any other cruise line. No one offers this route out of Port Canaveral which is our most convenient port and we do not have to fly (personally I do not see how you justify the cost with airfare).

We also have small children so we have a school schedule to deal with.

I doubt I would pay a premium for Carnival except for itinerary. All else being equal, I love to try other brands and ships. Tried Disney and not worth the premium in my opinion but am very flexible.

Or will they move ships to China?

Bingo! They have moved ships to China, Japan, and Australia Markets. (And I thought I heard about VietNam and Singapore. Princess has just refitted a large ship specifically for Japan with things like Toto Toilets. Since Carnival owns Princess, this may be how they are spreading things out.

As much as we love to cruise, we would spend our money elsewhere should the pricing be out of reach. We are driving for our next cruise, as airfare costs have risen dramatically - even 330 days out. Really limits our choices.

Sent from my phone. Typos are inevitable.

CCL has been sailing below occupancy?? Fooled me, they are giving away these rooms for FREE.....right, not only have they had non stop sales to fill occupancy for 2014 they are handing out FREE CRUISES to some.....really upsetting their loyal paying pax who are NOT getting the same offer!!! It's smoke and mirrors from CCL execs, but they don't fool ALL of us!!

No, they are only upsetting some entitlement minded loyal guests. many of us other loyal guests have no problem whatsoever with Carnival giving away cabins. And no, I didn't win one either but a friend did and I'm happy for her, not mad because I didn't win one.

I agree with many of the previous posts; our family cruises because it is so affordable when compared to most land based vacations. Bottom line, for us anyway, if prices increase dramatically then we'll be looking to jump ship (pun intended).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Same for us. We enjoy many different types of vacations. We cruise because it's affordable for our family of five, as long as we drive to the port. I'd love to fly my family all over the world to really explore other countries as my kids get older and become better travelers, but it would break our budget. I love Carnival because we can pack all of us in a cheap room and have a nice vacation within our budget. When I compare other cruiselines' prices, they can't beat Carnival for our family of five at the times of year we can cruise.

Now, from a business standpoint, I recognize that we are probably not favored customers, with our family sail and sign account averaging $5 per cruise and private tours at most ports, but we are at least good ambassadors for the brand, promoting and defending Carnival cruises to friends and family. The negative things people say make me doubtful that Carnival will be able to significantly raise prices. I feel that Carnival is very successful as a budget cruiseline. It's when they hear the prices that people start getting excited about the idea of taking a cruise.

They said that a year ago too, and they just couldn't do it. The only way they can fill the ships is to offer slashed rates, or not sail full. Hell, it got so bad, they are now giving the cabins away!

You always have such a pleasant optimistic view of Carnival. Thanks for adding to the conversation. Royal and Ncl are discounting the same pricing.

On a more serious note, while it might not be popular, increased fares in the Caribbean benefits everyone.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my IPhone

Yeah, their last ruse to get people to BUY NOW was that grandfathering of platinum guests before that joke loyalty program locked you in at 75 days.

We got grandfathered in to Platinum on our 9th & 10th cruise (B2B Jan. 13) with 72 days.

funny thing is I am paying about the same for my 2014 cruises as i did in 07... i have no complaints.

I've been paying LESS for at least 15 years, including ALL the 7 day Carnival cruises I have taken this year- which is 8 so far, compared to my Carnivale sailing in 1983. :) Have sailed 91 cruises.

I've been paying LESS for at least 15 years, including ALL the 7 day Carnival cruises I have taken this year- which is 8 so far, compared to my Carnivale sailing in 1983. :) Have sailed 91 cruises.

Wow, hats off.

You always have such a pleasant optimistic view of Carnival. Thanks for adding to the conversation. Royal and Ncl are discounting the same pricing.

On a more serious note, while it might not be popular, increased fares in the Caribbean benefits everyone.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my IPhone

I would love to hear how increased fares benefits the consumer. Please, do tell. :confused:

If carnival prices goes up I will go to NCL or MSC a lot of time they are cheaper then Carnival. And if I am going to pay more money I would go Royal they have ice skating and they are better.

Most cruiselines are not making much off your cruise fare anyway. It's all in what you spend on-board. When we started cruising in 1988 all cruises sailed from Miami/Ft. Lauderdale. Now you can sail from almost anywhere you can drive now. Sailed on the Dream June 1 &june 8 and had empty rooms on both cruises. 200 on the June 1, nobody in the rooms means no drinks/pictures/shopping ..Dennis

Most cruiselines are not making much off your cruise fare anyway. It's all in what you spend on-board. When we started cruising in 1988 all cruises sailed from Miami/Ft. Lauderdale. Now you can sail from almost anywhere you can drive now. Sailed on the Dream June 1 &june 8 and had empty rooms on both cruises. 200 on the June 1, nobody in the rooms means no drinks/pictures/shopping ..Dennis

And that's at unthinkably rock bottom prices. Is it any wonder that the cruise lines are looking elsewhere? Carnival needs to sell off or lay up at least half the Fantasy class. Soon. Cutting their over capacity will push people onto their newer ships, that command higher prices.

I would love to hear how increased fares benefits the consumer. Please, do tell. :confused:

Theoretically, higher prices should lead to a better product and experience, but I'm not convinced that that would happen. After a while, all the cutbacks become the new normal.

Edited by EZ4

And that's at unthinkably rock bottom prices. Is it any wonder that the cruise lines are looking elsewhere? Carnival needs to sell off or lay up at least half the Fantasy class. Soon. Cutting their over capacity will push people onto their newer ships, that command higher prices.

From a financial aspect this makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.:confused: