Statement from NCL on drowning on GEM

NBCNewsGuy

My thoughts exactly. Prayers for the little girl and her family. What a sad thing to have happen. I can imagine how everyone feels right now. We had a similar situation at a birthday party our daughter had given for her daughter.

Please posters, don't turn this into another: It is NCLs fault or it is mom and dads fault. We do not know what happened and never will. .

Also remember, no matter what, terrible accidents happen every day.

Life has no guarantees. There is no guarantee this wouldn't have happened even if the parent was there, or even if a lifeguard was there. It's been written about drownings where the person simply quietly goes lifeless under the water unnoticed. Not everyone flails their arms and hollers out for help.

Really?? Someone just lost their child, and you disgusting people are pointing fingers? It can happen to ANYONE at any time. It was an accident. The appropriate words to describe people like you are, unfortunately, not allowed in this forum.

Edited by SissasMomE

Sailing this Sunday on the Breakaway and just discussed this incident with my 10 year old. Tough conversation, but important for her to know why I always hover over her in the pool. Prayers and condolences to the family, what a tragedy.

Really?? Someone just lost their child, and you disgusting people are pointing fingers? It can happen to ANYONE at any time. It was an accident. The appropriate words to describe people like you are, unfortunately, not allowed in this forum.

It's an unfortunate human reaction, making oneself feel better, because he or she would never not be perfect, so there is no danger of something like this happening to his or her child (which, of course, isn't true). All of my kids, at one time or another, have slipped silently to the bottom of the pool. Thank God, it was noticed immediately (once by the lifeguard when I was getting my dd out of the pool, thinking ds was right behind me). I've rescued another woman's child under similar circumstances. It's really frightening how fast and silent drowning is.

Who are you directing this post to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the second drowning (with a near fatal one) for NCL in a year and a half. Will be interesting to see how NCL responds. After the Breakaway drowning their "solution" was to make the pools on that class ship adult only. Now with this one it seems their best 3 options is to make pools of certain depths on all classes adult only, staff pools better or hire part time life guards to monitor the pool during high traffic time periods.

Sympathies to the family and here's hoping that NCL does the right thing with regards to their pool policies.

So sad, I feel so sorry for the family and their loss. I very much dislike how many children are always unsupervised at pools- not just on ships but in community and public pools too. On our last trip I noticed many unsupervised children and I felt it was the design of the pool itself that "encouraged" parents to not supervise. They had NO chairs near or around the kids pool or slide area.

So kids were dropped off and parents left to find chairs elsewhere. A few parents did "active supervising" of their children by pacing the length of the pool and water area or sitting on the side of the pool. But it was uncomfortable with no back rest or place. At one point my own child was pushed underwater by a weak swimmer grabbing onto her. Thankfully I was in the pool with her and was able to help both children.

Drownings happen in a matter of seconds even with supervision things can and do happen.

Look I'm an outspoken person with absolutely no filter. Must if the time I piss people off. I've had more posts removed than you can imagine.

However, I'm a parent of 2 young kids. You can't point fingers or make any accusations since there have been no facts released.

This horrific tragedy has destroyed a family FOREVER!!!

Accidents happen, avoidable or not. Plenty of unfortunate drownings happen even with strict supervision.

Just be thankful it was not your loved ones. Even if it turns out that neglect played a role here. It does not undercut the impact of the loss this family has suffered.

If and when the facts are released. Don't rush to judgment.

Look I'm an outspoken person with absolutely no filter. Must if the time I piss people off. I've had more posts removed than you can imagine.

However, I'm a parent of 2 young kids. You can't point fingers or make any accusations since there have been no facts released.

Accidents happen, avoidable or not. Plenty of unfortunate drownings happen even with strict supervision.

Just be thankful it was not your loved ones. Even if it turns out that neglect played a role here. It does not undercut the impact of the loss this family has suffered.

Couldn't agree more perfectly put x

Well, at least there's one thing I agree with you on :D

Those poor people will "replay" the situation in their mind ... for the rest of their lives.

This is so tragic. My heart is breaking for this family. I've been cruising solo with my son since he was 4 year old. He's about to turn 15 and I always have the conversation with him about safety onboard these ships. He's not even allowed to be or go in the ship's pool without me present. I can't imagine the emotional pain this family must be going through. May this little one rest in peace and hope her family cope with their loss.

The story on Yahoo News...

http://news.yahoo.com/coast-guard-girl-10-drowns-pool-aboard-cruise-010111715.html

Prayers to the family and all involved.

Are there lifeguards on any of the cruise lines ships?

Disney Cruise Line now has lifeguards on their ships. But it was only after a child drowned on one of Disney's ships that they implemented life guards on duty.

This is the second drowning (with a near fatal one) for NCL in a year and a half. Will be interesting to see how NCL responds. After the Breakaway drowning their "solution" was to make the pools on that class ship adult only. Now with this one it seems their best 3 options is to make pools of certain depths on all classes adult only, staff pools better or hire part time life guards to monitor the pool during high traffic time periods.

Sympathies to the family and here's hoping that NCL does the right thing with regards to their pool policies.

There really is no solution. If there was, there wouldn't even be drownings in a pool at someone's home. (and they don't have lifeguards)

Disney Cruise Line now has lifeguards on their ships. But it was only after a child drowned on one of Disney's ships that they implemented life guards on duty.

It was a near drowning.

This is the third reported drowning in the last 2 years on all cruise lines:

May 2015 10 year old drowns on NCL Gem

Jan 2015 4 year old near drowning on RCCL Oasis

Feb 2014 4 year old drowns and 6 year old near drowning on NCL Breakaway

Oct 2013 6 year old drowns on Carnival Victory

Mar 2013 4 year old nearly drowns on Disney Fantasy

Also notice a pattern about the age range of the children involved in these incidences.

So sad. We took our grand kids on the Gem in January. We drove past the pier this Saturday and saw it at the dock. They wanted to go on it again and we will. I feel so sorry for the parents...

the picture above is with the youngest one with the Gem's Captain at the time.

Edited by smeyer418

So sad.... Prayers and thoughts with the family, fellow passengers and crew that may have witnessed this unfortunate accident.

Now is not the time to lay blame or speculate on what may or may not have happened - we need to be mindful that a family will never be the same on what should have been a wonderful vacation.

Once more details emerge, then perhaps the situation can be reviewed to determine any preventative measures that need to be taken in the future.

Wrong! There needs to be blame so this does not happen again.

It is easy to take a hard line on something like this and assert blame. However, one cannot simply assign BLAME and expect something like this to NEVER happen again. Teach your kids to swim. I was a lifeguard for 7 years and taught water safety and lifeguard training for several years after my life guard days. I can't tell you how many times I have seen children (from 3-99) get in the water that have no clue how to stay afloat. This is not a cruise line issue. Swimming is a life skill and every person can and should learn how - my dog can swim, so can your 6 yr old or 40 yr old. Please, parents, before you cruise make sure your children can swim. If they are not comfortable in the water, prepare them by giving them lessons. If they do not want to learn or if you do not want to teach them, then they cannot be left alone near a pool.

So many other factors go into drowning. A person/child can be hurt, have a medical episode or are pull under by another person etc. It is a silent killer. You will never hear someone drown.