Rotterdam wading pool?

Toad

We have not been on the Rotterdam for quite a few years. I understand that there is a " "wading" pool in the aft of the ship. Why? Does this mean that there are less people using this area? Have you used it?

We have not been on the Rotterdam for quite a few years. I understand that there is a " "wading" pool in the aft of the ship. Why? Does this mean that there are less people using this area? Have you used it?

I don't know if a wading pool is the right term, but basically they have loungers in the midst of this pool. They call it the "retreat". If you click here -

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-onboard/Rotterdam?WT.ac=pNavLP_Onboard_Ships_RT&legacy=true You can see pictures of it. You might have to use the forward arrow but you will find them.

I can let you know in less than 3 months if less people are using this area or not

The Retreat was some big idea someone came up with and after they wrecked the Veendam, they moderated the change on the Rotterdam.

I like the sea view pool area normally so we shall see how it works out.

On a long Rotterdam cruise a few years ago shortly after this was changed, most people did not know what to do with it. It was more like a piece of installation art. Then as the days grew hotter and sunnier, more people sat in the ceramic loungers and splashed some water around, enjoying their drinks and also sticking their their feet in the water.

So this is a long way from being the full swimming pool it was in its past function, before they gobbled up that space for more cabins below, and turning it now into a .... whatever. Approach it as visual whimsy and it works best for what it is now.

Lots of other spots of colorful visual whimsy on the Rotterdam, which makes her one of our favorites and glad she is doing the Voyage of the Vikings this year. At least on this voyage, not having an aft full aft pool most likely will not be missed.

Calling it a "wading pool" is giving it too much credit. We have long called it a "bird bath" that is actually about 4 inches deep. HAL did this to two of their ships in order to cram in a few extra cabins underneath...where the aft pool used to take up space. This was an awful attempt to increase revenue with a few cabins.... and it failed miserably. So they stopped after the first two ships. Bottom line for the Rotterdam and Veendam is over 1300 passengers and only a single pool (with fewer then 60 loungers). If they get 4 or 5 kids on the ship they quickly take over the lone pool, and the typical HAL Seniors have no where to go to do their pool exercises, laps, etc. Very sad.

Hank

It will be interesting to see how Rotterdam does on the Caribbean run from Tampa next winter. I can't imagine 1300 pax trying to find space at the Lido pool. A shame. [emoji45]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know if a wading pool is the right term, but basically they have loungers in the midst of this pool. They call it the "retreat". If you click here -

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-onboard/Rotterdam?WT.ac=pNavLP_Onboard_Ships_RT&legacy=true You can see pictures of it. You might have to use the forward arrow but you will find them.

I can let you know in less than 3 months if less people are using this area or not

The Retreat was some big idea someone came up with and after they wrecked the Veendam, they moderated the change on the Rotterdam.

Thank you, jacqui. I just took a look at The Retreat. It appears more attractive than its' counterpart on Veendam. Raised hot tubs blocking any "Sea Views" from most vantage points.

Shouldn't be an issue on your cruise. I'd be concerned in the Caribbean, however.

Calling it a "wading pool" is giving it too much credit. We have long called it a "bird bath" that is actually about 4 inches deep. HAL did this to two of their ships in order to cram in a few extra cabins underneath...where the aft pool used to take up space. This was an awful attempt to increase revenue with a few cabins.... and it failed miserably. So they stopped after the first two ships. Bottom line for the Rotterdam and Veendam is over 1300 passengers and only a single pool (with fewer then 60 loungers). If they get 4 or 5 kids on the ship they quickly take over the lone pool, and the typical HAL Seniors have no where to go to do their pool exercises, laps, etc. Very sad.

Hank

Very well said and so true!!

Thank you, jacqui. I just took a look at The Retreat. It appears more attractive than its' counterpart on Veendam. Raised hot tubs blocking any "Sea Views" from most vantage points.

Shouldn't be an issue on your cruise. I'd be concerned in the Caribbean, however.

Thanks Sheila.

Haven't been on the Rotterdam since the Retreat was put in and was avoiding it because of that, but the itinerary was irrestistible ;). And the rest of the ship was lovely when I was on.

I clicked through the pictures and could not find it? Is it possibly so small I missed it?

To the poster above (Toad); yep the retreat is visible. Click on the link and then select Lido deck. A map-like image will appear. Click on the Retreat and you will get a picture of the area.

Now, having seen it, UG, what were they thinking?? For a European cruise or a TA, I agree that the lack of a rear pool should not matter, much. Yet in the Caribbean, this absolutely rules out this ship (and Veendam) for me.

At least they had the sense to stop after two ships.

Did a TA on the Rotterdam and that Retreat was a waste, plus if you used one of the loungers your always concerned about dropping a Kindle or phone in the water.

Beautiful ship but Hal ruined the pool areas on the Rotterdam and Veendam.

Edited by aliaschief

Did a TA on the Rotterdam and that Retreat was a waste, plus if you used one of the loungers your always concerned about dropping a Kindle or phone in the water.

Beautiful ship but Hal ruined the pool areas on the Rotterdam and Veendam.

Curious Chief - was the area a quiet one then to relax in. Did most people avoid the area? A couple roll call members were asking so I'll share your info with them if you see this and have time to respond.

Jacqui

The area around the aft "wading pool" is quiet. Also the New York style pizza is in the area which is very busy at lunch time not many around the "pool".

Sheila

in regards to the water in the pool I didn't ask why there wasn't any. Didn't care!

Janet

Jacqui

The area around the aft "wading pool" is quiet. Also the New York style pizza is in the area which is very busy at lunch time not many around the "pool".

Sheila

in regards to the water in the pool I didn't ask why there wasn't any. Didn't care!

Janet

Thanks so much Janet :). Appreciate the help. I didn't realize Rotterdam had the new pizza already - awesome :)

Curious Chief - was the area a quiet one then to relax in. Did most people avoid the area? A couple roll call members were asking so I'll share your info with them if you see this and have time to respond.

On our TA from FL to Rotterdam the first couple of days were nice to enough to Lounge and sun. I remember it being crowded and the normal noise one would find at any Sea View Pool. Being a TA there were only a handful of kids and they were at Lido pool.

The rest of the crossing was storms and up to 35 foot seas and no access outdoors.

Bottom line was it more relaxing? I don't think so and one can always choose the wrong Lounge next to the loudest person in the area.:)

On our TA from FL to Rotterdam the first couple of days were nice to enough to Lounge and sun. I remember it being crowded and the normal noise one would find at any Sea View Pool. Being a TA there were only a handful of kids and they were at Lido pool.

The rest of the crossing was storms and up to 35 foot seas and no access outdoors.

Bottom line was it more relaxing? I don't think so and one can always choose the wrong Lounge next to the loudest person in the area.:)

Thanks for the feedback;)

Yikes, I hope our crossing is smoother than yours. I like access to the outdoors.

Edited by kazu

We have so rarely seen anyone even use the aft pools on prior cruises. I agree they are lovely to have but we always thought both pools are not overly used. Maybe it was just the itineraries we chose that precluded much outdoor pool use in the first place.

Our Rotterdam experience was similar in the use of this new aft area on all cruises - smokers over in one corner and lots of people enjoying the tables, deck loungers and hot tubs if they are present, or in this case splashing a bit, having drinks and using the ceramic loungers in the "bird bath". People seemed to be having fun with them, taking photos etc. Primarily Dutch on that cruise.