Roll or fold Q

Sat1

I fold all my husband's shirts no matter what the material. When I hang them up in the cabin closet I mist them with a little water and smooth them out before hanging. Any fold marks or wrinkles come out as they dry.

I pack a small empty spray bottle for this and any "bed hair" events in the morning! :D

I have folded my golf shirts, but have read that rolling them is better, says no wrinkles. Let's see how many roll or fold. ;)

I fold them, sort of.

On my last cruise I found a great tip that I used to prevent wrinkles in my dress shirts. I lay all of the shirts flat in the suitcase, then I get one of the really realy large ziploc bags (not sure the size, but they hold a boat load of stuff) and place shirts that can be a bit wrinkled like my tshirts and undershirts within that bag. Close it up and set it on top of your golf or dress shirts, then fold the bottom of the shirts and the sleeve up and over the bag of the other garments. Smooth the parts that are folded over out so they are wrinkle free and then finish packing. Stuff other items like shoes, socks, underwear, etc... around the bundle to keep it locked into place and finish up your packing.

When your luggage makes its way to your room and you unpack, your shirts should still be wrinkle free.

There are multiple videos on YouTube that show the steps as well.

Edited by SLCfirsttimer
Corrected spelling error

I tried rolling for the first time last week. Apparently I should have watched a YouTube video on technique first...

When I unrolled the clothes in my cabin it looked like I had paid someone good money to make my clothes look as wrinkled as possible.

I ended up pressing twice what I normally would.

Back to folding for me.

I bundle wrap, a little differently than SLCfirsttimer suggests.

Find out how on http://www.onebag.com I have also tried the other method of placing clothes into the luggage and then the ziplock and folding, but got many more wrinkles doing it that way. I had read about bundle wrapping before a cruise to Norwegian Fjords in 2007, and have been packing that way ever since. Before that, I folded, and we've been traveling, and I've packed many times throughout the years. The last cruise, I bundled most things, and then placed my dresses which don't wrinkle at all on top of the bundle.

I recently started rolling everything and found I can pack about 90% of what I need for a 7-day cruise in my carry on! In my experience, the wrinkles are no worse than they were when I folded everything. If they don't hang out, I hang them in the bathroom and let the steam from the shower do my ironing.

I tried the large ziplock bag method on our most recent cruise. I bought the huge ziplock bags & put my folded clothes in them. I squished out all the air (put an empty suitcase on top of the bag with just the ziplock part exposed).

This method was said to work great but I really wasn't impressed when I went to unpack on the ship. Some of my items were slightly wrinkled & some were very wrinkled. Guess it also depends on the material. The big plus to this method was space. It was amazing how much I got into a medium suitcase with all the flat ziplock bags!:eek: I was able to leave our large suitcases at home.

Anyway, I had better results with rolling so will continue to use that combined with the squished ziplock bags (for those items that didn't wrinkle so much).

I tried rolling for the first time last week. Apparently I should have watched a YouTube video on technique first...

When I unrolled the clothes in my cabin it looked like I had paid someone good money to make my clothes look as wrinkled as possible.

Back to folding for me.

Same for me when I tried rolling -- wrinkled mess ... and I had watched the YouTube video! :rolleyes:

Back to folding for me!!!!

LuLu

I roll and use either packing cubes or the XL 2 gal. ziplocks. I can get 4 of DH's xxl T shirts rolled in one ziplock. Yes, there are still some wrinkles, but everything is organized and doesn't shift around as much in my bag. Now, when I pack to go home that is a different story. I use the tornado method, as in just like one went through my suitcase.:D

Mary Ann

Tshirts usually get rolled. For DH's button shirts I use an Eagle Creek PackIt folder. To get the shirts a uniform size I'll use a laundry folder. That's the only time that thing gets used.

To really roll check out --

This is for pants but he has a whole series

Edited by SadieN

I'm a folder of sorts. I lay things in the suitcase as flat as possible and with the least amount of folds. I also use dry cleaner bags.

After reading about rolling I tried an experiment. Packed my usual way for the cruise but rolled coming home. No contest for me, rolled clothes were a mess. Through trial and error, everyone needs to find what works for THEM. No way is either right or wrong.:)

Edited by iheartbda