Bistro on 5....I tried, really, I tried

Muushka

The salads really are horrible. I eat GF and they make them fresh so my experience is different.

It wasn't that long ago that there was a thread and everyone was upset bistro was leaving to make room for the suite resturants. Quite a few fans posted they loved it.

I will agree the service and food was not as good the last time as the first few times, I have also thought that of the other resturants too. Hope to report more love for resturants at the end of the month.

Please come back and give us your restsurant reviews at the end of the month. We will be going on the Millennium in 99 days ( yes I am counting) and I don't believe they have a Bistro on Millie. I wouldn't go if they had one!

Marion

Please come back and give us your restsurant reviews at the end of the month. We will be going on the Millennium in 99 days ( yes I am counting) and I don't believe they have a Bistro on Millie. I wouldn't go if they had one!

Marion

Hi. Yes, there is a Bistro on 5 on the Millie. Usually empty, but there.

I was on the Silhouette last month. The menu had a few additional items, mainly breakfast stuff.

Nothing there to convince me to try it again, and of course it's empty.

They should really focus on making it a true lunch/ casual dinner dining alternative with a REAL menu, like a real restaurant.

The Porch, Aqua spa, Bistro on 5..... All places with boring simple food, poorly executed. Wasted space and opportunity

We are preparing for our third Celebrity cruise next year. As a project engineer by trade I tend to do most of the planning and research. Our first cruise was on the Millie. Coming to this board and others I determined that Bistro was where we were to have lunch on embarkation day. We’ve been to the zoo of a buffet line on other cruises and Bistro sounded like a good fit for us. The cost was $5 pp which I thought was reasonable in that I didn’t have to fight a crowd to get fed and then fight to find a table. Our server gave us good service and even booked our reservation in Qsine for that evening. The food, in our opinion, was good. Yes it was very quiet. In fact there was only one other family there and as it turned out they were also on the Roll Call too. So it turned into a mini connections gathering of sorts. I don’t remember what we ordered, but I do remember leaving full and satisfied.

Our second cruise was on the Silhouette. Our experience with Bistro was enjoyable so we didn’t even give it a thought the second time and heading straight there. This time the room was not empty with several tables occupied. It also appeared that two of the senior officers were there with their families. There was also a bonus. There was a door in the rear of the Bistro that led right to the embarkation area were the Mimosa were being served. A few of us went around for another just to have with lunch. Again the food was good and filling. No it wasn’t gourmet, but it was good. I expect we will go to Bistro on embarkation again on our next cruise.

Now I don’t want to hijack the thread but sometimes I wonder what folks really want. I can say that, in respect to the cost, I’ve have better luck in Bistro than in the specialty restaurants. We’ve eating in Qsine twice. The first time was great and we had a lot of fun. The second time was good, not great.

We’ve eaten in the Olympic and were greatly, greatly disappointed, so much so that we mentioned it to the Metra D when we left. This dinner was for our anniversary and my wife’s birthday. There was my wife and I and one large group of Asians. The bad news we were seated right next to that group. They were dropping big coin on wine and they were loud. Our service was terrible, awful, and the food was only ok. I guess I’m cheap, but if I’m dropping over $100 for dinner I want to be wowed.

I guess in the end it’s all in what you expect for the price you pay.

You realize you are in the minority here, right?:o

Tell me. Were your crepes fresh? Made to order? Hot? Give me a hint as to how to order them

because we are on a 14 nighter and I know we will have to eat there at least once (husband likes the place :rolleyes:).

We're on a 14 nighter as well(Jan.18)Yes, the Crepes were always hot. We watched them being made. They were made to order,within confines of what was on the menu.You could easily have them adjust what ingredients went into them..Less oil, more hots, more or less meats/veggies, etc. I'm not a sweet crepe fan so we generally catered to more savory/spicy varieties. This was on the Eclipse. I've heard the food can vary quite a bit on Celebrity ships(as there's quite a few of them)I think the food is more precise & consistant in the "specialty" rest.

Thanks Keith.

Well I think I will not fuss when my husband requests a visit to Bon5.

But.....I plan on complicating mine a bit to be sure it is made to order.

I'll make sure we leave the beautiful Eclipse in good working order for you.;)

Thanks all for your input.:)

Been on S Class for 50 days and never seen more than 3 tables being used at a time. The creperie takes up quite a large area. Given that Celebrity took out Cellar Masters (or was it Michaels Club), because of little use, I dont know why it hasnt been converted to something else.
Before they "carve" away a chunk of the MDR for the new suite restaurant I hope

management thinks about using this big waste of space. Always empty for good reasons !

These are the little "gimmicks" that all the cruiselines are using to generate extra revenue. Our trip this year is exactly the same price as last year. How do you think they are able to do that? They make up for it in other ways.
I unfortunately agree with you but this place is a culinary failure and since it is almost

always empty , I've got to believe it is a financial failure as well. About half of the few diners

there were actually Celebrity employees. Kinda pathetic.

management thinks about using this big waste of space. Always empty for good reasons !

I unfortunately agree with you but this place is a culinary failure and since it is almost

always empty , I've got to believe it is a financial failure as well. About half of the few diners

Boo, some of us do enjoy this venue.

Oh and a minor issue, it isn't big enough for the suites dining room. Remember all suites, including S1 and S2 suites, will have the new restaurant available to them.

Edited by Oville

Boo, some of us do enjoy this venue.

Oh and a minor issue, it isn't big enough for the suites dining room. Remember all suites, including S1 and S2 suites, will have the new restaurant available to them.

I guess my post was a little harsh . My issue is the carving out of space for the new elite/suite spaces.

Unless you cut the ships open , these new spaces must come from an existing spot .

My preference (besides not doing so) is taking this space from an underutilized location.

Bistro on 5 meets that simple criteria . I have no idea whether this space is large enough.

It seems it could be . Others have mentioned that the Bistro is where they

place the trainees so that the least amount of people are affected . That says a lot.

Edited by richstowe

I guess my post was a little harsh . My issue is the carving out of space for the new elite/suite spaces.

Unless you cut the ships open , these new spaces must come from an existing spot .

My preference (besides not doing so) is taking this space from an underutilized location.

Bistro on 5 meets that simple criteria . I have no idea whether this space is large enough.

It seems it could be . Others have mentioned that the Bistro is where they

place the trainees so that the least amount of people are effected . That says a lot.

Well I have agree, the last couple of times there the staff was very green, it's like they stopped trying to have good service. Even at it's best it was never a quick meal, when they made crepes to order. I enjoyed the slow pace and with desire to make it work it could be lovely.

As I said the food was always good. We usually had them change the Crepes to our likeing, without any problems. I'll agree the place had very little pax using it. This was fine for us. I feel if it was crowded, the staff would be unable/unwilling to accomodate our wishes.

it turned into a mini connections gathering of sorts. I don’t remember what we ordered, but I do remember leaving full and satisfied.

Finally tried Bistro on Five last cruise. Lo and behold my Sis-in-law and I met up with 4 of our Roll Call members! We had wonderful conversation and comraderie in a quiet atmosphere. I think I ordered the cowboy as main course and nutella crepe as dessert and recall enjoying the meal.

Hi Nancy & Uri and Di & John!

I would return for a lunch here, especially on a longer cruise just for a change of pace from the Mast Grill or OV café.

Just boarded the eclipse and went to the Bisto for lunch. Seated at noon, had our order taken at 12:15, got our savory crepes at 12:50, the order was wrong. At 1:30 a waiter finally asked if we wanted to order anything else. DW was so angry we just said no and tried to leave. At that point they did finally ask for our cruise card and charged us $28 for lunch. When we pointed out that error they changed it to $14 and then asked if everything was fine. To,say the experience was "bloody awful" would have been an understatement. We did quietly tell them it was the worst service we have ever had on X (and we are Elite Plus).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We're on Reflection and we enjoyed our Bistro experience yesterday. We prefer the setting to the noisy buffet area on boarding day.

We enjoy the hot & spicey, tomato soup, Caesar's salad and the Nutella dessert. Sometimes we skip the dessert and just order another spice experience. The manager was at the entrance, we were seated and served in good time, including our wine. It beats dodging carry on luggage and back packs on 14.

I just read that Summit has an interesting new menu at Bistro. That was long overdue. On Milennium there were some interesting Asian choices including a very tasty spicey soup with a name that I can't remember.

I certainly do not want to lose the venue but would like more choice.

We found Bistro on Five a complete waste of time too. Only went because we were sold a "deal" for dinner with champagne at SS United States (on Infinity) which included a voucher for a free meal at Bo5. We used it for lunch on one of our last sea days and the only good thing to say is that we didn't have to pay. It didn't seem to be very well used and the staff didn't seem to be very happy to be working there. Re the "crepes" you can buy packs of them in any supermarket in the UK, all ready cooked, just need to be filled and heated. Can't remember what type I had but bland, boring and tasteless.

I don't believe that they actually have someone behind the counter making them fresh for each order!

We found Bistro on Five a complete waste of time too. Only went because we were sold a "deal" for dinner with champagne at SS United States (on Infinity) which included a voucher for a free meal at Bo5. We used it for lunch on one of our last sea days and the only good thing to say is that we didn't have to pay. It didn't seem to be very well used and the staff didn't seem to be very happy to be working there. Re the "crepes" you can buy packs of them in any supermarket in the UK, all ready cooked, just need to be filled and heated. Can't remember what type I had but bland, boring and tasteless.

I don't believe that they actually have someone behind the counter making them fresh for each order!

I find it difficult to believe too. Which is why I started the thread to see if there was some trick to getting one made better than the 10 or so that I have so not enjoyed. But I'm thinking it isn't going to happen.

Celebrity, are you reading these threads?