Bistro on 5....I tried, really, I tried

Muushka

We ate at Bistro on 5 once for breakfast. I found the crepe to be very heavy and thick. We may try it again for lunch on a sea day. Maybe I will like the Panini better. I wasn't blown away by Qsine either. To me it was T.G.I. Friday's with an upgrade for presentation.

Saw on another Board that, earlier this year, Celebrity had tested an expanded menu on Summit's Bistro on Five. Sounded like they were trying to make it a true alternative to MDR and other dining options, especially at dinner, for the modest up-charge. Haven't heard anything since, so I guess the experiment failed...too bad. I thought it sounded good.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Been there twice on Summit. Nothing to write home about but definitely digestible. Atmosphere very similar to a diner. Service was average. It was a nice place to go to get away from the hustle and bustle of the buffet. Paying the $7.00 p/p was a bit high, but I would go back since, I really can't say it was bad, just average.

You're from NY, when is $7 "a bit high" for lunch? Just curious...

You're from NY, when is $7 "a bit high" for lunch? Just curious...

I believe the point is that $7 isn't the cost for lunch, which would be inexpensive.

It's the upcharge for something already included in our cruise fare, and it seems (from what I have read on here) that the food quality may be below that of the MDR or buffet.

Heck - I don't mind spending good money for the nicer restaurants, but to spend an additional $7 each for mediocre food, when you can find good food in other venues for free seems a bit "expensive".

We plan on dining in Qsine on our Summit sailing. $45 per person additional is worth it (in my opinion) for the exceptional food and the unique experience.

Have always liked the embarkation buffet, but read and read about the wonderful Bistro. Had it on my list to try after 7 Celebrity cruises.

This thread has saved me some time and supposedly a bad experience.

Thanks all.;)

I agree with another member. On our recent Silhouette TA, other than some disappointments in Murano and Bistro 5, the food, especially in the MDR, was great! But my DH said 'too bad there's nowhere to get a good pastrami sandwich'. A deli - and nothing less than a great deli, might be a great idea for the Bistro space. No precut meats! Sliced to order! Wouldn't hurt to have great kosher sour dills and knishes too!

I agree with another member. On our recent Silhouette TA, other than some disappointments in Murano and Bistro 5, the food, especially in the MDR, was great! But my DH said 'too bad there's nowhere to get a good pastrami sandwich'. A deli - and nothing less than a great deli, might be a great idea for the Bistro space. No precut meats! Sliced to order! Wouldn't hurt to have great kosher sour dills and knishes too!

We would absolutely, without a doubt, spend money on GOOD pastrami sandwiches on our cruise. In my opinion, Katz's has the BEST pastrami on the East Coast.

The knishes would have to be from Knish Nosh on Queens Boulevard in NY. They make the real, baked (round) knishes - not that square deep-fried knish sold at the NY pushcarts.

Oh, and it wouldn't hurt to have real NY Egg Creams along with the great pastrami and pickles :) At the very least, they would need to have Dr. Brown's soda - Black Cherry, of course.

We can dream.

(Or we can take a ride into NYC and have a feast.)

While we agree it would be nice to get a good pastrami sandwich, I have trouble with the idea that we should start paying extra (alternative restaurants) for a sandwich. We would be happier if they improved the sandwich bar in the Lido, so it would be easy to order a decent pastrami sandwich.

Hank

While we agree it would be nice to get a good pastrami sandwich, I have trouble with the idea that we should start paying extra (alternative restaurants) for a sandwich. We would be happier if they improved the sandwich bar in the Lido, so it would be easy to order a decent pastrami sandwich.

Hank

I agree completely - I wouldn't pay extra for a "decent" pastrami sandwich.

I would, however, pay extra for an EXCELLENT pastrami sandwich - i.e. - similar to the pastrami from Katz's deli.

:D

Edited by DinaS

I have tried the Bistro on Infinity this year and Solstice last year and had great service and the food was ok. I can't recall what we ate exactly, soup and crepes I think, but would go back again.

I think that's the whole point.

Why would people pay ANY extra amount for "OK" food, when you can get GOOD food in the MDR or buffet?

Combination --- Katz's Deli and Russ and Daughters Cafe. Both our family's must-go-to whenever in NYC.

I don't know you, but I love you ;)

I am originally from NY (still live nearby) and those are my two FAVORITE places.

(We just go to the original Russ and Daughters store, since we usually buy lots of food to take back home with us.)

Edited by DinaS

We love Bistro on 5 for it's laid back atmosphere. We enjoy the fact that the service is slow and frequent it for the lack of hustle and bustle. I have to agree that the food can be iffy at times - I've had to return a Chicken Ceasar Salad as the chicken was slightly underdone, but on the whole, we love it and in any case the problem was speedily addressed and remedied. (I've had similar problems in the Specialty restaurants that attract an even higher premium, so these issues are not unique to Bistro) A true crepe should be wafer thin, light and airy and this is what we have experienced many times. We have had the odd 'thicker' crepe - more akin to a British pancake, but delicious nonetheless. I can understand that it is not for everyone, but if you are looking for a truly relaxed dining experience at a reasonable cost then in my opinion, it's worth a try.

we ate there 3 times. Had the cowboy crepe- very good- had Italian and French, also pretty good. Had soup and salad with them- Salad was ok, nothing great- soups pretty good as well. We had very good service on the Reflection June 2013 cruise.

We will be on the Summit in June-- It will be interesting to see the difference in service at the Bistro and see if the meals taste similar. We are hoping to eat at Bistro on embarkation.

I believe the point is that $7 isn't the cost for lunch, which would be inexpensive.

It's the upcharge for something already included in our cruise fare, and it seems (from what I have read on here) that the food quality may be below that of the MDR or buffet.

Heck - I don't mind spending good money for the nicer restaurants, but to spend an additional $7 each for mediocre food, when you can find good food in other venues for free seems a bit "expensive".

We plan on dining in Qsine on our Summit sailing. $45 per person additional is worth it (in my opinion) for the exceptional food and the unique experience.

These are the little "gimmicks" that all the cruiselines are using to generate extra revenue. Our trip this year is exactly the same price as last year. How do you think they are able to do that? They make up for it in other ways.

we ate there 3 times. Had the cowboy crepe- very good- had Italian and French, also pretty good. Had soup and salad with them- Salad was ok, nothing great- soups pretty good as well. We had very good service on the Reflection June 2013 cruise.

We will be on the Summit in June-- It will be interesting to see the difference in service at the Bistro and see if the meals taste similar. We are hoping to eat at Bistro on embarkation.

We found the Crepes to be excellent overall. This is on the Eclipse, where I found all the food surprisingly good. We're real foodies & my partner is a prof.Chef, so we have a "little" idea about good food!

The restaurant is often a ghost town. Why?

It isn't Bistro food, and it's poorly executed. It's heavy, oily food rolled into a crepe.

The salads are an embarrassment, and an afterthought....no effort put into either the design or execution.

I would rather that Celebrity charge $20, and try to do something really good rather than fill up space.

We found the Crepes to be excellent overall. This is on the Eclipse, where I found all the food surprisingly good. We're real foodies & my partner is a prof.Chef, so we have a "little" idea about good food!

You realize you are in the minority here, right?:o

Tell me. Were your crepes fresh? Made to order? Hot? Give me a hint as to how to order them

because we are on a 14 nighter and I know we will have to eat there at least once (husband likes the place :rolleyes:).

The salads really are horrible. I eat GF and they make them fresh so my experience is different.

It wasn't that long ago that there was a thread and everyone was upset bistro was leaving to make room for the suite resturants. Quite a few fans posted they loved it.

I will agree the service and food was not as good the last time as the first few times, I have also thought that of the other resturants too. Hope to report more love for resturants at the end of the month.