This was supposed to be a glorious day instead I am at the ER

My gallbladder did not cause a problem with a cruise but a similar situation.

I am a teacher and had planned a Monday surgery with the remaining week off. On the Saturday before the surgery, my father died. We live in Maryland and they lived in Wisconsin. My sister said the services would be Saturday and Monday of the following week (so people could fly in). So I called my doctor to see if I had surgery on Monday if I could travel on Friday. He said he would usually recommend a week before flying but I could if I felt ok. After planning for a sub for a week and the fact that I was in the ER the weekend before with problems, I took the chance and had the surgery. Everything turned out fine. I went home after a few hours. With baggy clothes, I made it through the flight and funeral. We were suppose to fly home on Tuesday but were delayed until Wednesday to fly because of Hurricane Sandy which closed all the airports on the East Coast.

Had mine out at 24 because of pregnancy the old fashioned way and was down and out for weeks....my daughter had the same problem and was back on the tennis court 4 days later with the laparoscopy. It's a peach.

Gall bladder attack is no fun, major pain.... I used to tell people I'd consider giving birth to triplets with just Lamaze before I'd suffer another one of those!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by BecciBoo

I had mine taken out using DaVinci (?) robot rather than by laparscope. One incision instead of 3. Not all surgeons are able to use the robot. Recovery was fairly easy. I had a little abdominal discomfort for a couple of days but the surgery was done outpatient. Good luck!

We are supposed to be boarding Liberty right now , instead I am in the ER

Last week I was having some abdominal pain so I went to the doctor and he diagnosed me with gastritis. He put me on Nexium so as soon as i came home from his office i threw up and felt better. By the weekend I felt 100% no pain

This morning as we are getting ready to leave he calls me and tells me I need to go to the ER asap because my blood work shows elevated liver function and maybe I suffer from gallbladder stones? He urges me not to go on the cruise unless ER clears my blood work and ultra sound

So hysterically I go to the ER and now waiting for the results ... hoping and praying it will be OK and we can actually make down to the port in time

Called RCCL they were nice enough to give me couple options to salvage my vacation and money ... i did not buy the trip insurance let this be a lesson learned

I am so sad.. i feel so stupid :(

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Sending prayers and best wishes to you.

To have the GB removed I ended up with 3 little holes and a little bit bigger hole just above my navel. The were smaller than dimes and healed quickly.

Was in Emergency Room at 6:30am in pain.

Rolled off to surgery by 12:30

Spent one night and went home by lunch the next day.

Not nearly as bad as I anticipated - in fact before surgery I hurt so bad ... the surgery was welcome! :)

Recovery was easier than I thought. Dr said I couldn't drive for a week and had to shower instead of bath. Advil basically took care of any discomfort I had for the first couple of weeks (not debilitating - if I wasn't retired :D I could have gone to work in 3 or 4 days after coming home)

Thank you for sharing your story

A lil' off topic - for those who had their gallbladder taken out ... what is the surgery like? is it laparoscopy?

It is now, but not when I had it done in the 1970's.

In my day, it was 10 days in the hospital, followed by 6 weeks at home. Nowadays people are having it done as day laparoscopic surgery. The recovery time is so much quicker.

Thank you all for the positive vibes - They worked <3

After I was discharged from the ER at almost 3:00pm I had to run to CVS to pick up the meds they prescribed and that took what it seemed like an eternity ... we were at the ship at around 3:45 and we were probably the last to board but we made it!!

We had a blast on the ship and the ports- what a beautiful vessel she is

I will be writing a full pictorial review once the sea legs are gone lol

I had no health issues thank God and was able to enjoy food and drinks .. in moderation :D

Great news!! Good to know you are healthy and enjoyed your cruise!!! Looking forward to your report!

A lil' off topic - for those who had their gallbladder taken out ... what is the surgery like? is it laparoscopy?

Glad that it worked out. Had mine removed nine years ago. In and out the same day. Ate dinner out that evening. I guess it can be different for everyone but for me it was not bad at all.:)

The surgery is a day surgery. Most people are there only a few hours after the surgery. For me the worse part was trying to get a line in me. They hit both arms on the inside of the elbow area and the tops of my hands. They finally put me out somehow and put it in in the room. I have small veins and I bruise. So I went to the funeral with black and blue marks on my arms. But the rest was easy and little pain.

I had it out in 1998 with laproscopy. I had 4 years of undiagnosed attacks...I had a rather super shot gallbladder then and have some scar tissue pain issues due to abnormal ducts and extra work done..but am ok and managed..all life has some pain right...improving all the time..with everything. Had a severe whiplash injury years before that I still wonder if that goofed me up for needing this later..have heard a funny co-relation...may just be non -related but interesting.

I can eat most anything..and consider myself very lucky with as many bad undiagnosed attacks i had..my surgeon said he did not know how I had made it that long with it that bad...

I did have to stay 2 nights and had a drain tube that did not hurt to take out..a few people it does..i healed with pain meds first week and then just tylenol etc. I did get bad strep throat i did not notice at first with pain meds..good to check your throat after a tube is down it from surgery...mine was still way easier than "old method".

It is a day surgery or overnight at most usually now...but i would aim for one night...you are getting an organ out in an important place.

I was glad to have a good surgeon go with the flow and ok the 2 needed nights..I needed not oral meds for 48 instead of 24 hrs..got sick to stomach and with the drain took 2 nights then...my deal was nothing compared to old surgery..most do very well and and easier than me..and mine was "ok".

Edited by sjn911

So glad you made it to your cruise and letting us know! I had my gallbladder surgery 20 years ago via laparoscope, and for me it was a breeze. I was back at work in a week and a half. I know of others where it took a little longer. The one thing I would tell you is even if you have the laparoscopic procedure, that behind those 3 or 4 little band aids you still had major surgery.

Edited by KeywestK

We are supposed to be boarding Liberty right now , instead I am in the ER

Last week I was having some abdominal pain so I went to the doctor and he diagnosed me with gastritis. He put me on Nexium so as soon as i came home from his office i threw up and felt better. By the weekend I felt 100% no pain

This morning as we are getting ready to leave he calls me and tells me I need to go to the ER asap because my blood work shows elevated liver function and maybe I suffer from gallbladder stones? He urges me not to go on the cruise unless ER clears my blood work and ultra sound

So hysterically I go to the ER and now waiting for the results ... hoping and praying it will be OK and we can actually make down to the port in time

Called RCCL they were nice enough to give me couple options to salvage my vacation and money ... i did not buy the trip insurance let this be a lesson learned

I am so sad.. i feel so stupid :(

The good news is that Obama will pay for the bill if you need surgery. Good luck and good health.