Changes to RCCL Internet Packages

Unlimited internet was $189.95 for one concurrent device, $229.95 for two. The lower prices posted in the OP were reflective of it being a shorter cruise.

The speed was okay. I was able to use Skype (video) to call home, and my e-mail and web surfing worked just fine, too.

Doh I missed their comment on a 4 day. You either did 6-8. I'm guessing the 8.

We have six family members, each addicted to at least one internet connected device. Is the unlimited-two device plan sharable among lets say 10 devices, assuming people log off when they are done? Is there a timeout where it will log you off automatically?

Of course, it will remain to be seen if the family can actually share...

I would say it was for a 7day... I am currently on the Navigator and paid $206.XX for two devices on 7day. That was using my CA rewards discount (10%off)

As far as I know Indy was doing alternate 6 and 8 day cruises. I'm thinking of taking the TA in May.

We have six family members, each addicted to at least one internet connected device. Is the unlimited-two device plan sharable among lets say 10 devices, assuming people log off when they are done? Is there a timeout where it will log you off automatically?

I was on the Allure last week and had the one device unlimited. With the 2-device you get two login ID's.

We used the one device plan and shared it between 4 devices. Never needed to log off - signing onto a new device just kicked the prior user off. So you definitely need to set up some ground rules or specific times for each person.

Yes, just share the log on and only two devices at a time. :)

My wife was logging off/on between her iPhone & iPad with no issues while I stayed continuously logged on. Never had it log any of us off automatically not was there a time delay while switching devices.

I was on the Allure last week and had the one device unlimited. With the 2-device you get two login ID's.

We used the one device plan and shared it between 4 devices. Never needed to log off - signing onto a new device just kicked the prior user off. So you definitely need to set up some ground rules or specific times for each person.

I'm on the Navigator currently and have the 2 device unlimited and only have one user ID. We logged both devices with the same user ID with no issues.

I'm on the Navigator currently and have the 2 device unlimited and only have one user ID. We logged both devices with the same user ID with no issues.

Thanks for the correction. We were told it would be 2 separate ID's but it appears that is not the case.

I would assume if you try to connect a 3rd device it logs one of the other ones off automatically. If you can try that, I'm curious if it gives you any choice of which connection to terminate or if it just logs one off arbitrarily?

Doh I missed their comment on a 4 day. You either did 6-8. I'm guessing the 8.

Yes, it was the 8-night itinerary. I didn't even consider the fact that the price for the 6-night itinerary is likely to be less.

How does one get a coupon for internet?

Once you sail at least once with Royal, you can join the Crown & Anchor society. You will then get a set of coupons to use onboard for things like internet discount, drink discount, etc.

People talk about Royals internet but none of then know how to do a SPEED check. I was on Adventure in June 3013 and was getting around 5mbs not to bad but when you are used to 60 to 100 mbs it is very slow.

We have had several threads with speed check results posted, as it happens. I assume you meant Mbps not mbps :)

You didn't post the most important number - latency. That's the speed killer because of the satellite hop and will be at least 10 times what people are used to. The long-awaited O3b trial on Allure and Oasis will address that with the use of a Medium Earth Orbit constellation.

We have had several threads with speed check results posted, as it happens. I assume you meant Mbps not mbps :)

You didn't post the most important number - latency. That's the speed killer because of the satellite hop and will be at least 10 times what people are used to. The long-awaited O3b trial on Allure and Oasis will address that with the use of a Medium Earth Orbit constellation.

I've lost track of the status of the O3b satellites. Have they successfully launched the full constellation?

Back from the Adventure of the Seas. The signal was great all over the ship...but it was just as slow as always. I didn't have the speed test app (it's downloaded now). I tried to download a couple of apps on the ship, but the connection was too slow for anything to finish downloading. A friend also emailed me a video, which I also couldn't download b/c of the connection speed.

I mainly wanted the Internet to text (iMessage on iPhones) and check emails. The connection was fine for those things, so I was happy :)

OK -- I'm impressed. However, I have no idea what you just said, so if you could rephrase in a way that my level of expertise can follow, I'd appreciate it. I'm always willing to learn.:) Thanks in advance --

(By the way, I love the Cotswalds, we've been there a couple of times, many years ago.)

Edited by travelgoddess1

OK -- I'm impressed. However, I have no idea what you just said, so if you could rephrase in a way that my level of expertise can follow, I'd appreciate it. I'm always willing to learn.:) Thanks in advance --

(By the way, I love the Cotswalds, we've been there a couple of times, many years ago.)

Latency is the time delay imposed by the connection. A geosynchronous satellite connection has inherently more time delay because the packets are moving around 40K miles just to get back to the ground. Then another 40K miles for the response to get back to you. Even at the speed of light, that takes a bit of time.

Latency is the time delay imposed by the connection. A geosynchronous satellite connection has inherently more time delay because the packets are moving around 40K miles just to get back to the ground. Then another 40K miles for the response to get back to you. Even at the speed of light, that takes a bit of time.

Good to know.

And that is the problem.

Great if you have purchased unlimited, but if you have only purchased one hour, or have free minutes it is wasted while waiting for pages to download.

The packages should be in MB of data rather than time.

Disney Cruises Internet Packages are changing to Data Packages. Ranging from 25c per MB down to 19c per MB if you buy a package.

http://disneycruiselineblog.com/2014/01/disney-cruise-line-internet-packages-changing-to-data-packages/

MB?----not great with acronyms. Thanks