Dollars to Euros

LaurieCM

When you arrive in Europe, stop at a bank ATM and obtain the currency. There are plenty of ATMs at the airport upon arrival. The exchange rate on the ship is awful, plus you'll have a service charge on top of it. Most ships have a separate "banking" desk to handle currency exchanges - try to avoid it.

Using US$$ in Europe is not an option. You can also use your credit cards, but be sure you contact your bank or CC company to alert them to your using them overseas.

Darcy

Edited by WatchHill

Do not exchange money on the ship. Exchange rates there are awful. We just use our ATM card. I withdraw enough Euros when we arrive in Europe. Your bank may charge a fee. Ours charges $5 per transaction, but we do not make enough withdrawals to make it worth the hassle of getting another card with no fee.

If you will be in western Europe, dollars will not be accepted for purchases. You must have Euros

When on a cruise in Europe can you get euros at the desk using your onboard account/credit card? I know that most places take dollars, but I don't want to be standing in a busy market doing the math (:

First most places will not accept $dollars you neet the local currency.

You can get currency converted....for just a 20% fee. That 20% converting too and from so your out %40 right off . Many times they run low and wont

NO....you get local cash from an ATM not the ship.

However, credit cards are accepted about everywhere and I seldom ever use cash at all... Anywhere they use Euro s they accept credit cards except discover and American express... VISA Master card way to go.

The mid-market interbank rate for converting Euros to Dollars is almost exactly 40€ = $US50. The market spread will add around 2% to this and, however they hide it, you can expect to pay a 2.5% commission, so 40€ for $US54 is about as good as you could get today.

I believe that todays rate for buying dollars from Travelex in US airports is around $US 55 for 40€ which seems fair to me, so if you can get that rate before you leave the US, my advice would be to go for it.

When on a cruise in Europe can you get euros at the desk using your onboard account/credit card? I know that most places take dollars, but I don't want to be standing in a busy market doing the math (:

First of all check to see that the countries you are visiting are indeed Euro countries. Many people believe all European countries are in the Euro Zone, but many of the Baltic countries and, of course, the U.K. are not. The best place to obtain local currency is from an ATM in the visited country, or obtain a supply before you leave. Some tourist shops will take US$, but the exchange isn't very good and change is provided in local currency. So if you want to pay in US$ have lots of $1's available. Leftover Euros and Lbs. paper currency, no coins, can be deposited to your on board account at the passenger service desk, but the exchange rate is poor and there is a fee. So plan carefully.

Worst scenario (dollar wise) is to buy Euros in the USA prior to traveling though the ship charges could easily be more expensive. Don't know. Best scenario is to purchase Euros in the country you enter with a low fee ATM card. Like 1%. Don't worry about not finding an ATM near a transportation center. They are everywhere.

Awhile back I returned from the Bahamas with an inadvertent $20 Bahamian bill in my wallet. Though the currency is par with the US dollar, the exchange at RSW (Fort Myers) only offered $8 for the conversion which I declined. Later gave it away to a friend going there. Just an example of onerous fees one should avoid.

Edited by yregrus

We used the machine onboard the Regal and were pleased with the rate, convenience, and safety of using it onboard. The best rates we got, though, were at our hotel in Venice and at the bank in the U.S. The worst rate was at the airport in Venice. The rate looks good until they charge their "fee".

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The mid-market interbank rate for converting Euros to Dollars is almost exactly 40€ = $US50. The market spread will add around 2% to this and, however they hide it, you can expect to pay a 2.5% commission, so 40€ for $US54 is about as good as you could get today.

I believe that todays rate for buying dollars from Travelex in US airports is around $US 55 for 40€ which seems fair to me, so if you can get that rate before you leave the US, my advice would be to go for it.

We are fortunate to have an account with an ATM card that charges no foreign exchange fee or transaction fee. Took out cash six times in September and our Euro rate averaged just 0.2% above the interbank rate. Slightly better than when we used one of our no fee credit cards for charged purchases. Even if I had to pay a transaction fee, I would only get Euros through an ATM. The best exchange rate by far.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We are fortunate to have an account with an ATM card that charges no foreign exchange fee or transaction fee. Took out cash six times in September and our Euro rate averaged just 0.2% above the interbank rate. Slightly better than when we used one of our no fee credit cards for charged purchases. Even if I had to pay a transaction fee, I would only get Euros through an ATM. The best exchange rate by far.

Totally agree, I used to do the same before I opened a French bank account, but not everyone appears to be so well organised. or indeed as comfortable abroad, as you.

Came across someone on another thread, going to Martinique, whose US Bank wanted to charge $25US minimum commission on a small value Euro purchase and they were not happy either to pay their bank extra for a card they could use in an ATM, and ended up in a right mess as they arrived on a Monday when all the banks and bureau de change were closed.

For folks like that, the airport before departure is better than the ship or their bank.

But you are right commission free ATM is by far the best.

One thing to watch out for at many ATMs around the world.

They will give you the choice of having your bank to the conversion or the ATM showing what will be charged in US $. Always pick having your bank do the conversion. The conversion rate if the ATM does it is very poor.

This also applies when using a credit card in many places outside the USA. If the charge ship shows the charge to be in US $, ask to have it done is local currency instead. You may pay 10% extra or more if signing a slip in many countries overseas that shows US $.

We are doing the trans-Atlantic in March on the Island. A week at sea and then Portugal, Spain, and Italy. It seems like the advice is to wait until Portugal and visit an ATM at the port. Our ATM card is Mastercard.

We are doing the trans-Atlantic in March on the Island. A week at sea and then Portugal, Spain, and Italy. It seems like the advice is to wait until Portugal and visit an ATM at the port. Our ATM card is Mastercard.

We are also on your cruise but we buy euro in Australia before we leave here as we get a good exchange rate.

Margaret

One thing to watch out for at many ATMs around the world.

They will give you the choice of having your bank to the conversion or the ATM showing what will be charged in US $. Always pick having your bank do the conversion. The conversion rate if the ATM does it is very poor.

This also applies when using a credit card in many places outside the USA. If the charge ship shows the charge to be in US $, ask to have it done is local currency instead. You may pay 10% extra or more if signing a slip in many countries overseas that shows US $.

Within the last two years were have cruised in the Baltic and the Med and the only time we were given the option of charging in USD was at the Starbucks in the Copenhagen airport. We declined that option. Several stores in the Gamla Stan in Stockholm accepted USD and EUR currency but charges were in Krona. ATMs in Tallinn, Barcelona and Naples only gave the option to receive Euros.

Edited by IECalCruiser

Worst scenario (dollar wise) is to buy Euros in the USA prior to traveling though the ship charges could easily be more expensive. Don't know. Best scenario is to purchase Euros in the country you enter with a low fee ATM card. Like 1%. Don't worry about not finding an ATM near a transportation center. They are everywhere.

Awhile back I returned from the Bahamas with an inadvertent $20 Bahamian bill in my wallet. Though the currency is par with the US dollar, the exchange at RSW (Fort Myers) only offered $8 for the conversion which I declined. Later gave it away to a friend going there. Just an example of onerous fees one should avoid.

It's not always worst case scenario to get it from home - some cities have very good exchange places. I can get currency across the street from my office at about the same or less than using an affiliated ATM with no fee in Europe.

One thing to keep in mind using ATMs, you may be limited on how much you can take out at a time. Munich last week at a Bank ATM I could not get €300. I had to drop my request into the €200's

We did our Euro conversion at our bank in the US with a very low fee. We also got more Euro's at an ATM in Florence Italy. They all will let you choose a language of your choice to work from on the screen. What ever you do, Do not use one of the Money Changer offices often on the squares of the various cities. That human in there swapping money will get around 10% plus the conversion fee just to hand you the Euro's.

Edited by Steviewonder1

Before you travel be sure and check with your bank about what fees they charge. It will vary by bank. With ATM cards your costs include both atm charges (same as with a US atm), as well as foreign transaction fees. Some banks charge as much as 5% on the foreign transaction fee, mine charges 1%.

It's not always worst case scenario to get it from home - some cities have very good exchange places. I can get currency across the street from my office at about the same or less than using an affiliated ATM with no fee in Europe.

One thing to keep in mind using ATMs, you may be limited on how much you can take out at a time. Munich last week at a Bank ATM I could not get €300. I had to drop my request into the €200's

I can buy Euros (in the EuroZone) at an ATM for a flat 1% and any fees are refunded. If you can purchase Euros for 1% or less without fees in the USA, please tell me where to go, like the name of the bank in the U.S. that sells Euros at 1% commission and no fees. I honestly would like to know.

Also, in April 2014 the limit on an ATM machine I used in Munich was €500. I realize machines may have different limits. The limit is typically per day (assuming you have the funds.) You can always get more the next day.

Edited by yregrus

Use Google Maps, in advance, to find ATMs around the port or around where you are going (and have free time) on your excursions. Just search for banks, almost every bank has ATMs.

On converting back: Unless the amount is large or you don't anticipate EVER going back, just keep it. I have probably about 15 pounds and 30 euros and some Mexican pesos and so on. Life is long and I like to travel.

Also, in April 2014 the limit on an ATM machine I used in Munich was €500. I realize machines may have different limits. The limit is typically per day (assuming you have the funds.) You can always get more the next day.

Your bank may have its own limit on how much can be withdrawn in a day. Find out what it is before starting your journey. Your bank's limit may be less than what the local ATM's limit is.

I can buy Euros (in the EuroZone) at an ATM for a flat 1% and any fees are refunded. If you can purchase Euros for 1% or less without fees in the USA, please tell me where to go, like the name of the bank in the U.S. that sells Euros at 1% commission and no fees. I honestly would like to know.

I'm in Canada. I get them from a company called Vancouver Bullion. Bank rates for foreign exchange sucks. Their rates are very comparable to what I get using an affiliated ATM in Europe.

I was surprised I could only get under €300, haven't had that happen before.

I'm in Canada. I get them from a company called Vancouver Bullion. Bank rates for foreign exchange sucks. Their rates are very comparable to what I get using an affiliated ATM in Europe.

I was surprised I could only get under €300, haven't had that happen before.

We are going to Europe in April and were wondering whether or not to get most of our money from our bank ahead of time .... do you know if Scotia charges the same as vancouver bullion..or close to it???? I never even thought there were other places besides the money exchange hackers at the mall lol ...And can anyone use Vancouver Bullion or do you have to be trading with them .. sorry to sound stupid about this lol ...We dont really need alot because we use mastercard for everything that we can when we travel but you always need some cash. Thanks for your help ...

We are going to Europe in April and were wondering whether or not to get most of our money from our bank ahead of time .... do you know if Scotia charges the same as vancouver bullion..or close to it???? I never even thought there were other places besides the money exchange hackers at the mall lol ...And can anyone use Vancouver Bullion or do you have to be trading with them .. sorry to sound stupid about this lol ...We dont really need alot because we use mastercard for everything that we can when we travel but you always need some cash. Thanks for your help ...

Scotia is definitely higher. Anyone can use Vancouver Bullion. They open at 9 weekdays. However, if you're not buying a lot, by the time you factor in coming downtown and paying for parking, you may need to decide if it's worth it.

Vancouver bullion is selling the Euro right now for 1.437, scotia is 1.466

Not sure where in Europe you're going but you can use your scotia ATM card at BNP Paribas, Deutsch bank , and barcleys with no extra fees