Half way through the VOV some random thoughts

GRACECRUISE

We are in Amsterdam half way through the VOV and thought I would share some random thoughts.

Captain - Eric van der wal

HM Simon do Boer

CD Bruce Allen Scudder

Veendam - She has been wonderful. We have had no bathroom problems, sewer smells or AC issues. If anything the AC works to well at times. We keep adjusting it in our room. One likes cold, one likes warmer Hard to find happy medium.

The respiratory bug has been going around. Some just seem to enjoy coughing everywhere! More concerned with some women's overuse of perfume than the cough.

Food - It has been very good. Our server is great but keeps ordering us things off the menu. He brings us chicken wings as apps that are fantastic. Even brings me a wonderful cheeseburger is nothing appeals to me on the menu. The whoopi pies for dessert are sensational.

Gluten Free - I did notice for those interested there was a big box of GF rice krispys and GF bread kept at one of the ice cream areas. They are out in the AM you can help yourself. Don't know if there is other GF cereal.

Entertainment - Cast has been wonderful but not enough of their shows. The other acts aside from Pappas and a comedian have been so so. Wish they used the cast more.

Movies - a couple of good ones and then lots of old ones. Monument Men and Noah have been shown in the showroom on the overnights or long stays.

Lectures - I have not attended them but people have raved about them.

Culinary - Good cooking sessions and if you get Donna as the hostess she does lots of crafts and has a trunk of yarn and needles for you to use.

Weather has been great. Some days warmer than expected. Missed one port due to ice at beginning. Hoping we make it through Prince Christian Sund.

Blog at kinglevov.wordpress.com

Thanks for your great report.

Sounds like Veendam and her crew are providing a wonderful cruise.

We were very pleasantly surprised with our experience on Veendam last August.

Continue to enjoy. :)

We did the first half of VOV on Maasdam a number of years ago, and it was our best HAL cruise ever. They had the best of the best as far as Captain and crew.

It did rain all of the time and we missed Prince Christian Sund. I would be curious to find out how often they make (or miss) the icebergs. It is always advertised.

We were on Veendam two years ago on a 22 night cruise from Valparaiso to NYC which had a great itinerary.

Edited by Jade13

Thanks for your update, sounds like your having a good cruise. We have sailed with Captain Van der Wal before on the Oosterdam. He is a very good Captain. Hope the rest of your cruise goes well. Keep us posted.

I'm curious, Melodie.

Did you sail Oosterdam with Captain van der Wal or Captain van der Loo? :)

Can't tell you how much I am enjoying your blog! Thanks for taking the time to post and include pictures. Also appreciate the internet tips as we will be on the 2015 VOV.

A question: Did you see lots of waterfalls by walking around in Seydisfjordur, Iceland?

Our cruise is not scheduled for Cartw(rong). Maybe the problem has happened in the past and that is the reason for not going there.

I am looking forward to reading about the second half of your cruise!