Grand Turk beach???

vmbaskets

We are going to Grand Turk on the Carnival Pride. I understand there is a beach within walking distance of the ship. Is it a nice beach and are beach chairs included? I don't know if I should do an excursion if the beach is right there and free........ Opinions appreciated from others that have been there :)

The beach is literally where the ship stops. As soon as you walk off the dock, you go through Duty Free and into a little area with a bunch of shops. Margaritaville is right there. They have loungers and a pool as well, both a free to use and you are not required to buy anything. The pool area looked like it was a fun atmosphere.

You can also walk down the beach for a less crowded area. There are several bars that have loungers to rent or you set up your towel for free.

This would be to the left of the ship as you are looking at the beach. On the right side, I have read it is quieter, but I have also read that side is rockier.

MV was pretty crowded so we opted to go to Jack's Shack. It was $5 per chair and $10 for the umbrella. There were only a handful of people around us. I enjoyed it a lot, I loved the quiet beach feeling but its all in what you are looking for.

The beach on the left side is all the same, it is a nice, sandy beach. It was the warmest water on our cruise. MV doesn't have umbrellas that I saw but there is a line of palm trees that offer shade (still very close to the water) or you can sit out in the sun.

We are going to Grand Turk on the Carnival Pride. I understand there is a beach within walking distance of the ship. Is it a nice beach and are beach chairs included? I don't know if I should do an excursion if the beach is right there and free........ Opinions appreciated from others that have been there :)

The beach is beautiful, yes it is in walking distance from the ship I will post some pics they have chairs there the water is beautiful.. I love just relaxing when at grand Turk we went last year and I believe 2 years ago. ImageUploadedByForums1396189940.353014.jpg.092e067d0f89651ccc171f5c7188d290.jpg

5/15/11 Carnival Valor

5/14/12 Carnival destiny

5/11/13 Carnival Liberty

5/11/14 Carnival Glory

ImageUploadedByForums1396189764.324505.jpg.b959fcb15ac01494a4d7601c4c10f3bc.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1396189913.689520.jpg.f5e274194285799fa2fafbdc433939b0.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1396189923.527810.jpg.c8b787c6ae3d2b2b11dd4e729fd71e92.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1396189933.167299.jpg.e5581d214e13ef6e9fe068b72319e628.jpg

I just read a review on here recently, and this family found Governors Beach.

This beach was BREATHTAKING!!!!!!

They said if you leave Jack's Shack, in the front, not from the beach, go left and you walk down the road a mile, you cannot miss it.

No chairs or facilities, but it was BEAUTIFUL.

They were the only ones there.

Enjoy!!!!!

We'll be there in July and may just have to check it out.:D:D

Great set-up and beach. Short walk from the ship. If only one ship is in, very easy to find chairs, even some in the shade. My last time there, there seemed to be a newly groomed section of beach to the right of the visitors area that was lightly used. If you want to drink on the beach, as others have said, a walk down to Jack's Shack saves money over Margaritaville. The pool at Margaritaville is free to use. Grand Turk is so convenient, we walk back to the ship for lunch and then go back to the beach! Been there four times on three different lines (twice with Pride). Never get tired of it.

One note, the water bottom is coral rocky in many places. Cheap water shoes or attached water sandals will help you enjoy your time in the water. We always look forward to Grand Turk.

And since you are on Pride and stopping at Grand Turk, I'm assuming Half Moon Cay is also on your itinerary. I'm seriously jealous!

Margaritaville is right off of the pier, it is a fun atmosphere but tends to get a little crowded. We like the party atmosphere but also like to relax, if you go past Margaritaville there is a little beach bar that had one man band playing Caribbean music and a lady dancing. Chairs and tables right on the beach, we found this much more relaxing yet still fun. My sister and I went up and dance with her, she loved us! Of course this was a few years ago, so it may have changed since then. The pic is of my sister and I and the lady that was dancing.

image.jpg.e6f064a8819ca83970027e886c6c60cc.jpg

Beach is very rocky BRING WATER SHOES OR YOU WILL BE SORRY!

I've read this before and I'm confused. I have super sensitive feet. The beach itself was fine the whole way down and back to Jack's. I didn't go in the water near Margaritaville, just in front of Jack's Shack but also found it to be sandy. Is it in certain areas? (someone mentioned that the right side, away from MV was rocky but I didn't go over there).

The last time we were there, we racked up a $200 bar bill, for four of us:eek:

To make matters worse, we didn't realize the gratuity was already included, and put another $40 on for the tip.

Won't make that mistake again...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Definitely going to split the day between Margaritaville and Jack's Shack.

Need to see Topher, but also want to give the girls some time in the pool, before it gets packed.

Can't wait!:D

I've read this before and I'm confused. I have super sensitive feet. The beach itself was fine the whole way down and back to Jack's. I didn't go in the water near Margaritaville, just in front of Jack's Shack but also found it to be sandy. Is it in certain areas? (someone mentioned that the right side, away from MV was rocky but I didn't go over there).

The beach north of the pier is sandy. Everything south of the pier is sand and rock.

GrandTurkpier_zps5215b8bc.png

In this photo I took (yeah, right), it shows the pier. MargeritaVille is in Yellow. It has a very nice pool and bar, along with food ($$$$). Pool is free. As an excursion, you can do the FlowRider. A standup surf rider. Google it if you don't understand.

In red is Jack's shack. This is where you will find beach, very sandy, along with free beach chairs (some in shade if desired) and reasonable drinks.

Green arrow is where snorkeling excursions and water activites are sometimes held.

We did a snorkeling excursion that picked us up just south of the pier and took us just north up the beach. Snorkeled off the edge of the wall (deeper water) and then took us closer to the beach in about 15 ft. of water and showed us nurse sharks. Got to pet them and hold them.

DSCN7474_zps49fd0085.jpg

Edited by HawkIVette

If you're cruising on a tight budget, Grand Turk is one of the best possible destinations... because there is absolutely no need to book a shore excursion, and you can be on the beach within a couple of minutes of leaving your cabin. As others have said, the beach is literally right at the end of the pier. Here's a photo to help you visualize how nice the beach is, and how close it is to the ship:

CarnivalGlory-GrandTurk-800.jpg

As others have mentioned, this beach is totally free to use... even the lounge chairs. The only exception is if you want to rent a clam shell to provide some shade... or if you want to order food or drinks.

GrandTurk.jpg

If you get tired of lounging around in this area, take a little walk up the beach and you'll find something spectacular that you just don't see on beaches in the United States. It's known as the "conch graveyard"... and here you will find a whole bunch of these gigantic conch shells:

CarnivalBreeze-IMG_2178.JPG

To find the conch graveyard, as you are walking down the pier from the ship and heading towards the shore, make a RIGHT rather than going left where the crowds are.

Another great thing about Grand Turk for people on a tight budget is that there is a huge swimming pool at Margaritaville that is free for you to use. Just find an empty lounger and make yourself at home by the pool.

CarnivalBreeze-IMG_2110.JPG

While you're enjoying the pool at Margaritaville, it's a lot of fun to sit and watch the people on the Flowrider surf simulator:

FlowRider-GrandTurk.jpg

The best part of watching the folks on the Flowrider is when they crash! Here's a short video compilation of Flowrider Fails at Grand Turk:

[YOUTUBE]DCFl1wrBZmI[/YOUTUBE]

Have fun at Grand Turk! It's one of my favorite destinations in the Caribbean, because you can have so much fun without having to spend any extra money. If you're planning on spending some time at both the pool and the beach, my advice is to try to get off the ship as early as possible... and head straight to the pool to grab a lounger. They fill up fast. You'll be much more successful at getting loungers if you do the pool first and then the beach later, rather than vice versa.

Edited by Spaniel Lover

We were there in December and stayed on the beach near the ship ( facing the beach from the ship it's to the left) I wouldn't have been able to even go into the water due to the amount coral without shoes. Walking on the beach in that area had lots of sand but many good size rocks....enough yo break a toe if you hit one.

We didn't go down to the shack so I can't say.

Edited by Midwestgal

Wow, Spaniellover, great post. Love the overview shot. (I also read your review on the Sunshine I think, I'm looking forward to trying the excursion you did in Mexico)

I only learned of the conch graveyard after we got home. I'm disappointed. I really wanted one. My husband found me two diving in St Thomas but forgot them in his BC, only to remember when we were back on the other side of the island.

Thanks to those who answered about the beach. I definitely plan on going back, I loved Grand Turk.

Someone mentioned Topher - he was my best friend for the day

8224e554-d7e2-4303-ab10-1c7913cf679f_zps84fbcf40.jpg

Topher digging for crabs

P2280410_zps1ced0ffc.jpg

Our set up at Jack's Shack

IMG_2207_zps45ca3106.jpg

Jack's Shack - everyone raved about the Jerk chicken. It was good, not the best I've had though

P2280444_zps97a75b50.jpg

Ship from Jack's

P2280436_zps149bf4a0.jpg

Edited by 1kaper

Wow, Spaniellover, great post. Love the overview shot. (I also read your review on the Sunshine I think, I'm looking forward to trying the excursion you did in Mexico)

I only learned of the conch graveyard after we got home. I'm disappointed. I really wanted one. My husband found me two diving in St Thomas but forgot them in his BC, only to remember when we were back on the other side of the island.

Thanks to those who answered about the beach. I definitely plan on going back, I loved Grand Turk.

Someone mentioned Topher - he was my best friend for the day

8224e554-d7e2-4303-ab10-1c7913cf679f_zps84fbcf40.jpg

Topher digging for crabs

P2280410_zps1ced0ffc.jpg

Our set up at Jack's Shack

IMG_2207_zps45ca3106.jpg

Jack's Shack - everyone raved about the Jerk chicken. It was good, not the best I've had though

P2280444_zps97a75b50.jpg

Ship from Jack's

P2280436_zps149bf4a0.jpg

I was in grand turk in September on the carnival splendor. Topher was just hanging out on the deck of jack's shack. That's an awesome photo of him digging for crabs, maybe ill catch him digging when I go back on the pride may 3, 2015

If you walk further down the beach, about my .3-.5 mile, there is a place called "jacks shack" There is some dogs there that are hilarious to watch, but the fun part is lots of the entertainment staff go there to unwind. And you know they would know the best spots!

I was in grand turk in September on the carnival splendor. Topher was just hanging out on the deck of jack's shack. That's an awesome photo of him digging for crabs, maybe ill catch him digging when I go back on the pride may 3, 2015

I read somewhere on here that if you tell him to dig for crabs, he will. I didn't try it, he was doing it all on his own. You couldn't get him to stop once he started, no distracting him, haha. He would stop when he got to the water line.

If you're cruising on a tight budget, Grand Turk is one of the best possible destinations... because there is absolutely no need to book a shore excursion, and you can be on the beach within a couple of minutes of leaving your cabin. As others have said, the beach is literally right at the end of the pier. Here's a photo to help you visualize how nice the beach is, and how close it is to the ship:

CarnivalGlory-GrandTurk-800.jpg

As others have mentioned, this beach is totally free to use... even the lounge chairs. The only exception is if you want to rent a clam shell to provide some shade... or if you want to order food or drinks.

GrandTurk.jpg

If you get tired of lounging around in this area, take a little walk up the beach and you'll find something spectacular that you just don't see on beaches in the United States. It's known as the "conch graveyard"... and here you will find a whole bunch of these gigantic conch shells:

CarnivalBreeze-IMG_2178.JPG

To find the conch graveyard, as you are walking down the pier from the ship and heading towards the shore, make a RIGHT rather than going left where the crowds are.

Another great thing about Grand Turk for people on a tight budget is that there is a huge swimming pool at Margaritaville that is free for you to use. Just find an empty lounger and make yourself at home by the pool.

CarnivalBreeze-IMG_2110.JPG

While you're enjoying the pool at Margaritaville, it's a lot of fun to sit and watch the people on the Flowrider surf simulator:

FlowRider-GrandTurk.jpg

The best part of watching the folks on the Flowrider is when they crash! Here's a short video compilation of Flowrider Fails at Grand Turk:

[YOUTUBE]DCFl1wrBZmI[/YOUTUBE]

Have fun at Grand Turk! It's one of my favorite destinations in the Caribbean, because you can have so much fun without having to spend any extra money. If you're planning on spending some time at both the pool and the beach, my advice is to try to get off the ship as early as possible... and head straight to the pool to grab a lounger. They fill up fast. You'll be much more successful at getting loungers if you do the pool first and then the beach later, rather than vice versa

For the "conch graveyard" can you walk along the beach or is there a road that you can walk along too ?

"someone told me I will one day get sick of cruising ... I just smiled and said only when I'm dead "

You'll hear different opinions on this, but the best jerk chicken that I've ever had was at Jack's Shack. $12 for half chicken + and fries. A great place to rent a chair/umbrella, relax on beach, people watch & Topher watch. It's about a 10 minute walk down the beach left off the ship. Much better than the craziness at Mville, plus you can go to a Mville practically anywhere in the states.

Edited by Fla Senior