Taxis & Uber On Our December 2016/January 2017 Stay In Miami

Keith1010

I had mentioned this in another thread when I was doing live reports on our pre cruise stay in Miami but thought I would mention it on a separate thread.

We vary the type of transportation we use in Miami depending on where we are staying and need to get to and from and how much luggage we have with us. Same goes for Fort Lauderdale.

In some cases we get a private vehicle to take us between airport/hotel, hotel and port, and port and airport.

Other cases we might use a taxi for some of these trips and usually use a taxi when one time during our stay we go between downtown Miami and South Beach.

Nothing in life is perfect but this time around we had two things that went wrong on two of four taxi trips and one very positive experience using Uber.

We took a taxi from the airport to downtown Miami. That was fine.

We took a taxi from hotel to South Beach. When we got in the driver said it would be a flat rate of x dollars. Now I know it's not a flat rate but the price was cheaper then I know the meter rate would be based on experience. A minute into the drive I saw that he hadn't even turned the meter on. I suspect he pocketed the money at the end. He was actually one of the best taxi drivers we've ever had but what if he had given us a price that was higher then the meter rate. Anyway a reminder that things happen and if you use a taxi know the rules for the area you are going to. More on that later.

On our return from South Beach to the hotel in downtown Miami a few minutes into our trip the driver was pulled over by a police officer. As it turned out he was driving with an invalid drivers license. We got out after paying him what we owed him and got another taxi. That was a first for ous.

We were supposed to have a private transfer between port and airport at and of cruise. Given a positive experience I will talk about in a moment with Uber getting to the port I actually thought about cancelling the private one but didn't. Anyway, to make a long story short the private vehicle didn't arrive on time, we were told about constant delays and finally said we would just take a taxi. We did that. It should be a flat rate between the Port Of Miami and the airport. But guess what. The meter was running. I didn't say anything. When we got there I told the driver that it is a flat rate. He concurred. :) Well, then why did he use the meter? OK enough on that.

We've never used Uber before. We have heard positive things from this board, from family members and from friends. After the incident with the police officer pulling over the taxi driver we decided let's use Uber. We were staying at the Epic Hotel and within minutes of requesting Uber (we picked the option for an SUV) the driver was there. The price was terrific as was the car and the professionalism of the driver. He either has his own private service or he works for another company. He was great.

So in the future we will use Uber in these situations rather then taxis.

One final note and that is about porters at the Port Of Miami. I know this is sometimes a controversial subject with some saying they don't do much and expect a tip. Yes, we tip but let's leave that out of the discussion.

When we arrived to the Port the porter who took our bags was just fabulous. Very informative and helpful. The best was yet to come. When we disembarked the ship in Miami I mentioned that the private service company did not come. Well the porter stayed with us for easily 20 or more minutes. He could have said is it OK if I leave you? He didn't. When I made the decision that we just needed to go with a taxi he was very helpful with that, loaded all our luggage in the trunk and the front passenger side of the vehicle and didn't leave us until we were driven away. For us these porters on both ends of the trip added a lot of value. Just wanted to mention that.

Keith

Once you go Uber, you never go back.

I had to take a cab home from the FLL airport last week and it was a horrible experience. Nasty, dirty cab, squeaky car, and the driver spoke very little English which made it difficult to explain where I was going.

Needless to say, I got my glitch fixed with the Uber app immediately.

Glad you've come to the dark side Keith! Welcome!

Uber is by far the best way to get around. They need to be decent, if they are not, Uber will not let them drive for them anymore. Its also much cheaper than a cab. While people are even driving for taxi companies I don't know. For the amount of money they pay to rent the medallion they could lease a decent car and drive for uber.

Thank you for this thread.

Although my kids use Uber all the time, I'm a newbie.

It will be my mom and I traveling next month.

MIA to Miami Hotel

Miami Hotel to POM

POM to FLL

Can I use Uber for all of the above? We will be two people, two pieces of luggage and our bags/carryon bags (just one each).

Can we request a regular Uber or do I need a larger one (what are they called?).

We will not have discount coupons since last year my dd traveled with my mom and me and we used our first free rides then when we cruised.

Thanks all so much!

Thank you for this thread.

Although my kids use Uber all the time, I'm a newbie.

It will be my mom and I traveling next month.

MIA to Miami Hotel

Miami Hotel to POM

POM to FLL

Can I use Uber for all of the above? We will be two people, two pieces of luggage and our bags/carryon bags (just one each).

Can we request a regular Uber or do I need a larger one (what are they called?).

We will not have discount coupons since last year my dd traveled with my mom and me and we used our first free rides then when we cruised.

Thanks all so much!

Yes, regular UBER will work.

It will work between all these locations.

Keith

Yes, Über is the way to go.

We took a taxi from the Fort Lauderdale airport for our New Years cruise last month. The taxi driver was rude and surly form the moment we got into the car. The worst part was that he nearly killed us getting us to our hotel.

Speeds up to 90 mph on the freeway, and came close to hitting two cars and a truck! He had a real anger issue for some reason.

My husband spent the next hour on his phone trying to get the right agency to report him. The number listed in the taxi was useless, and each agency passed him on to another.

Took the kids advice after that and only used über!

Über is much more regulated and safe as far as I'm concerned! Will never take a taxi from FLL again.

Okay...Got the app, cannot see a discount coupon on the site, anyways...Once I collect my bags, I go to the arrivals area and order an Uber on my phone app...Then what happens, does someone call me?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I think it comes down to this, the older people will still use a taxi because they don't know about Uber, don't have a smartphone or just like to use something they are used to and not like change. Younger folks will use Uber because it's new, modern, saves more money and are more "with the times". Eventually taxis will be obsolete. One day.

Okay...Got the app, cannot see a discount coupon on the site, anyways...Once I collect my bags, I go to the arrivals area and order an Uber on my phone app...Then what happens, does someone call me?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

No. The app will show you the type of vehicle, name and photo of driver, and tag number of vehicle. No phone required.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have JiffyJeff booked for a shared van from POM to FLL after our cruise next month.

I'm thinking I should just cancel JiffyJeff and use Uber. I won't have to wait for others and it should be around the same price, correct?

Also, I am not going to ask for an XLUber, just regular, correct? It is two people, two pieces of luggage.

Also, how do I tip? Do I give the driver cash or if they don't take cash, how do I put on the card?

Thanks all.

Edited by js

I have JiffyJeff booked for a shared van from POM to FLL after our cruise next month.

I'm thinking I should just cancel JiffyJeff and use Uber. I won't have to wait for others and it should be around the same price, correct?

Also, I am not going to ask for an XLUber, just regular, correct? It is two people, two pieces of luggage.

Thanks all.

2 people with 2 pieces of luggage would be fine in a regular Uber. It's typically similar to a Toyota Camry which I have a 2016 Camry and the trunk is more than big enough for 2 pieces of luggage.

I don't know anything about Jiffy Jeff but looking at their website for 2 people it looks like it would be $30 for 2 people using their service from POM/FLL. For Uber for the cost would be $22. That's just getting the rates from the Uber site as well as Jiffy Jeff site.

Again someone with more real-world recent experience can give you a better idea.

2 people with 2 pieces of luggage would be fine in a regular Uber. It's typically similar to a Toyota Camry which I have a 2016 Camry and the trunk is more than big enough for 2 pieces of luggage.

I don't know anything about Jiffy Jeff but looking at their website for 2 people it looks like it would be $30 for 2 people using their service from POM/FLL. For Uber for the cost would be $22. That's just getting the rates from the Uber site as well as Jiffy Jeff site.

Again someone with more real-world recent experience can give you a better idea.

Thanks so much! Even with same price I won't have to share a van and wait for others.

Where did you find the cost from POM to FLL? I looked on the app last night and couldn't find it. Did you look online? I am going to cancel JiffyJeff. Poor Jeff :(

Thanks so much! Even with same price I won't have to share a van and wait for others.

Where did you find the cost from POM to FLL? I looked on the app last night and couldn't find it. Did you look online? I am going to cancel JiffyJeff. Poor Jeff :(

Yea I looked up the estimator online and got it.

The thing with Uber is you pay per car, not per person. So even if you were to take someone else with you, it'd be the same cost. You're right, you won't have to share.