Newbie from Celebrity

SusieV

Hello,

I've always been curious about the luxury line experience but it has never been in my budget.

My fiance and I are looking into honeymoons and we saw the Insignia sailing on Jul 15, 2018 and it seems to be fire saled- not much more than I would expect to pay on Celebrity. It's a Canada/NE type itinerary RT NY.

My TA just sent us a quote for category G, is there anything I should know about cabins to avoid in this category? Any particularly desirable cabins I should look for (even if in another category?).

I see that a wine/beer package is included, what is the wine selection like? I was told it would be an additional $20pp/day to upgrade to the fully all inclusive package, how much do individual cocktails cost?

What else should we know about Oceania vs Celebrity? I know the ship is R class and much smaller, but I don't know how much that affects the experience. We are young- I am 34, my fiance is 30, but we are generally laid back and relaxed people. We like good food, cocktails, and relaxing in a hot tub or by the pool.

Any comments appreciated!

Hello,

I've always been curious about the luxury line experience but it has never been in my budget.

My fiance and I are looking into honeymoons and we saw the Insignia sailing on Jul 15, 2018 and it seems to be fire saled- not much more than I would expect to pay on Celebrity. It's a Canada/NE type itinerary RT NY.

My TA just sent us a quote for category G, is there anything I should know about cabins to avoid in this category? Any particularly desirable cabins I should look for (even if in another category?).

Cabins are small 160 sq ft & bathrooms smaller CAT G are insides if that will work for you

I see that a wine/beer package is included, what is the wine selection like?

The Package is for wine by the glass & Beer at meals only

I was told it would be an additional $20pp/day to upgrade to the fully all inclusive package, how much do individual cocktails cost?

drinks will run $10+ 18% gratuity roughly

sample menus

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/experience/value/beverage-packages/

What else should we know about Oceania vs Celebrity? I know the ship is R class and much smaller, but I don't know how much that affects the experience. We are young- I am 34, my fiance is 30, but we are generally laid back and relaxed people. We like good food, cocktails, and relaxing in a hot tub or by the pool.

The ships more relaxed ..people are more into dining later & longer some will go to the shows that usually start at 9:30pm

some small production show & some solo performers

There are a few threads here on X vs O

If you and your fiance are new to your relationship, and intend to spend the majority of time in your cabin, Oceania will be fine, but if you are one of those couples who have been engaged forever, you're probably going to be looking for more activities and entertainment than an Oceania Cruise typically provides.

There is a single show in the Main Lounge at 9:30 pm, followed by music for dancing in the Observation Lounge.

The R ships are very very quiet, and virtually everything is sewn up by midnight.

You should also be aware that the provided Wine and Beer package provides service only while the passenger is eating luncheon or dinner, so if you are looking to drink in a social setting, you might want to buy the Prestige package, regardless.

Also, use the search button and put in Oceania vs Celebrity (and v.v,)

You will find MANY thread discussing the differences and similarities between these two lines.

After that if you have additional questions, please ask here.

Have fun exploring.

Good to know about the drink package. So I should assume I will have to pay for the upgrade.

On Celebrity, we generally attend enrichment lectures, eat, and drink. We spend our evenings at bars. Is there in-cabin movie service? Even if the ship is closed up at midnight we like to be able to grab a plate of nibbles from the buffet and watch a movie late night. How late is the buffet open in the evening?

We aren't looking for a very busy cruise experience, but we are planning to be mostly in public areas and not keep to our room. What types of things can we expect to see occurring on a sea day?

Is the food really a cut about Celebrity? How would it compare to Celebrity's specialty dining?

We're trying to decide between this sailing, and a 10 night Pacific Coastal in May on a Celebrity ship. We're leaning to this because it's a new experience (12 sailings on X), and because generally we wouldn't expect to be able to afford Oceania. So how does it justify the step up in pricing, generally?

Also, use the search button and put in Oceania vs Celebrity (and v.v,)

You will find MANY thread discussing the differences and similarities between these two lines.

After that if you have additional questions, please ask here.

Have fun exploring.

Thank you- I will. Do you have any information to share about the cabin question I asked? That's one reason I posted my own thread instead of searching. I know all the "special" cabins on Celebrity and the ones to avoid, but nothing about Oceania.

Agree with last posters. Cabins on the smaller ships are really small and the bathroom is even smaller. If you could afford the Marina or Riviera, IMO, the experience would be better. Also, in my opinion, the included wine is fair - not great but the selections of alcohols in the premium package is top notch.

I have no experience with cat G cabins - so I can't help you there. I am sure that others will.

Food is definitely a step up from X - IMO. Especially so on the 2 larger ships with 4 specialty restaurants and more public space. The smaller ships - like the one you are thinking about - create a more intimate experience where you are likely to know your fellow passengers and crew better (and v.v.)

Good to know about the drink package. So I should assume I will have to pay for the upgrade.

On Celebrity, we generally attend enrichment lectures, eat, and drink. We spend our evenings at bars. Is there in-cabin movie service? Even if the ship is closed up at midnight we like to be able to grab a plate of nibbles from the buffet and watch a movie late night. How late is the buffet open in the evening?

We aren't looking for a very busy cruise experience, but we are planning to be mostly in public areas and not keep to our room. What types of things can we expect to see occurring on a sea day?

Is the food really a cut about Celebrity? How would it compare to Celebrity's specialty dining?

We're trying to decide between this sailing, and a 10 night Pacific Coastal in May on a Celebrity ship. We're leaning to this because it's a new experience (12 sailings on X), and because generally we wouldn't expect to be able to afford Oceania. So how does it justify the step up in pricing, generally?

if you drink more than 4-5 drinks a day pp then the Prestige package would work out for you

They have movies on TV or you can borrow DVD's from reception

Terrace closes about 9:30pm

room service is 24/7

Keep in mind the price you see includes airfare unless the TA quoted cruise only fare

I would read through some of the thread here & most of you questions will be answered already

Edited by LHT28

What else should we know about Oceania vs Celebrity? We are young- I am 34, my fiance is 30, but we are generally laid back and relaxed people. We like good food, cocktails, and relaxing in a hot tub or by the pool.

I am 51 and on Marina now. Out of 1200 passengers, I would estimate only 40 are under 50 years old. I feel like a whippersnapper. Average age would be 70. Most are interesting and vital seniors, but some are on their last legs. This is not a criticism of Oceania, as I had expected this following my pre cruise research (although, tbh, it is even more skewed towards the elderly than I expected). But you should be aware of the difference in demographic compared to lines like Celebrity.

I am 51 and on Marina now. Out of 1200 passengers, I would estimate only 40 are under 50 years old. I feel like a whippersnapper. Average age would be 70. Most are interesting and vital seniors, but some are on their last legs. This is not a criticism of Oceania, as I had expected this following my pre cruise research (although, tbh, it is even more skewed towards the elderly than I expected). But you should be aware of the difference in demographic compared to lines like Celebrity.

+1

Yet it is also true that the shorter, less expensive cruises attract a much younger demographic.

In terms of general ambience, food and the cocktail service in the bars and lounges, I would say that Oceania is on a completely different plane than Celebrity.

Specialty Dining is about a tie.....although on Oceania the Specialties are free, and if one books a Suite the food from the Specialties may be ordered to the cabin.

Where Celebrity truly excells is with the historic touches in some of their restaurants

thumb_0-restaurante-the-normandie-summit.jpg at their best, they are breathtaking...

if you drink more than 4-5 drinks a day pp then the Prestige package would work out for you

In this case I think it is more like 1 1/2 drinks as they have the Select package included so it's $20 pp /pd more. $20 is spent pretty quickly at $12 ($10+18%) per drink.

Even if the ship is closed up at midnight we like to be able to grab a plate of nibbles from the buffet and watch a movie late night. How late is the buffet open in the evening?

As LHT28 wrote the Terrace buffet closes at 9:30 and there is room service. I don't know what room service is like on X but O has a small but very nice menu. Burgers, salads through to NY steak (the last time I looked but I rarely order in.)

It sounds like you would enjoy O! You like to socialize, spend time on deck, relax, and watch late movies. About what we like, too.

I think you will also find the food excellent, the entertainment more than acceptable (small shows and good piano bar), and the company interesting. On the smaller R ships, you will find you are bumping into aquaintances often.

We have sailed in a G cabin. It is "cozy," but as long as you aren't intending to spend oodles of time there, it should suffice.

In this case I think it is more like 1 1/2 drinks as they have the Select package included so it's $20 pp /pd more. $20 is spent pretty quickly at $12 ($10+18%) per drink.

That is true

when you have the House Select package you do not need to drink as many to get your monies worth :D

Edited by LHT28

when you have the House Select package you do not need to drink as many to get your monies worth

Why is that even a concept? :confused:

The room service menu is more expansive in the upper cabins, but there is never a question of Eating Enough to "get your monies worth".

We just finished our first O cruise after a few on X. The food on O is really good, the best we've had on a cruise, but it isn't as widely available unless you do room service. It is harder to get little snacks coming back from excursions in the afternoon or late night. Also, if you like to drink socially before or after dinner rather than just at meals, it might be worth checking if you can switch from the beverage package to the onboard credit, especially if you have a lot of ports and aren't likely to eat a lot of lunches on board. We had $900 in onboard credit to spend on drinks on a 10 day cruise and had enough left for me to get a massage. We had 3-4 drinks per person per day, but are fine with rail liquor so it went farther. The wine is ok. I don't think the wines offered by the glass were any better than on X.

You will definitely notice how much smaller the ship is compared to X. We were on Riviera and I don't think I could do one of the smaller ships. You do see the same people over and over again which can be a bad thing depending on who they are. We had fun on our cruise even though the demographic was quite a bit older (we're 38 and 42). But, you'll have to look for the fun things to do around the ship more than on a bigger, younger oriented cruise line.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I had responded on the X board when you posted the X vs O comparison. I think you should give O a try after 12 X cruises. A completely different experience but I like sedate luxury and if timing and itineraries are the same we always choose O.

Have fun on whichever ship you choose.

Why is that even a concept? :confused:

The room service menu is more expansive in the upper cabins, but there is never a question of Eating Enough to "get your monies worth".

some people have that mindset :D

We know people that will order 3 entrees at dinner ... just because

I never get my monies worth on a cruise but I am happy to sail on Oceania for other reasons :D

some people have that mindset :D

We know people that will order 3 entrees at dinner ... just because

I never get my monies worth on a cruise but I am happy to sail on Oceania for other reasons :D

I don't have a problem with people ordering 3 entrees IF they finish them. I do have a problem if they waste food just because they can.:mad:

I have a cabin on hold, apparently most of the lowest level cabins were already booked, much to my surprise. What is the difference between the handicapped cabins and the regular ones? It has been ingrained in me never to book a handicapped cabin because I don't want to prevent someone who needs the cabin from sailing but my TA says it is different on Oceania than on the mass market lines? I asked her to watch for a regular cabin though.

The sample menus look amazing. How is Oceania at dealing with food allergies? My fiance has life threatening nut allergies and didn't fare very well on Celebrity our last trip.

I don't have a problem with people ordering 3 entrees IF they finish them. I do have a problem if they waste food just because they can.:mad:

I had a variation of this situation on the Riviera recently. I ordered 3 appetizers because they all looked good and I wasn't terribly hungry. I asked the waiter to serve them in any order he chose. The first two were fine, but the third one was a huge portion. When I questioned the waiter, he said that he'd doubled the order because he thought I was going to be hungry.

I left half over. :D

I had a variation of this situation on the Riviera recently. I ordered 3 appetizers because they all looked good and I wasn't terribly hungry. I asked the waiter to serve them in any order he chose. The first two were fine, but the third one was a huge portion. When I questioned the waiter, he said that he'd doubled the order because he thought I was going to be hungry.

I left half over. :D

That sounds reasonable to me. It wasn't your fault nor your intension.

Edited by Paulchili

I have a cabin on hold, apparently most of the lowest level cabins were already booked, much to my surprise. What is the difference between the handicapped cabins and the regular ones? It has been ingrained in me never to book a handicapped cabin because I don't want to prevent someone who needs the cabin from sailing but my TA says it is different on Oceania than on the mass market lines? I asked her to watch for a regular cabin though.

The sample menus look amazing. How is Oceania at dealing with food allergies? My fiance has life threatening nut allergies and didn't fare very well on Celebrity our last trip.

The lowest priced cabins & the top suites book up early

I would question your TA on how is O different with the H/C cabins

seems unfair to book them if not needed

if it a month or less from the sail date then it is probably not an issue but if you are in one you could be moved

I would prefer to know my cabin location

How about an E cabin ? ..they are smaller again but if cost is a factor it may be worth the inconvenience

Food allergies are dealt with fairly well Just be sure it is noted on your file when you book then check again with the Maitre D when you board

If eating at the buffet ask to speak with the chef not just the servers

You get a menu the night before to choose items you want & they will make sure it is prepared without being contaminated by nuts

Our friend has the same issue & will check with the chef at tea time as well to be sure no nuts were involved in the making

Edited by LHT28