A walk through Rome?

txflood33

I have a question about a path to walk through Rome. I know there are Ports of Call boards, but these tend to get a little more traffic from what I've seen...and I'm betting that there is enough people here that have been to Rome, possibly more than once.

So my question....we will have a short time in Rome before getting on board our ship. My best estimation is we should be at our hotel by 2pm...we land at noon on a Sunday

We are staying at the Empire Palace Hotel. I routed this walk on google maps and it says it's right at 3 miles (4.9 km). So my question is, is my planned route feasible? Safe? Practical?

From out hotel we would walk to the Spanish Steps

Then to Trevi fountain

Then to the Panthenon

then to the Roman Forum

Then to the Colosseum

We are not interested in any tours. We just would like to wander in Rome with the camera and these are some 'must see's' according to many.

How long should I expect this 'tour' to last? I do understand the time spent at each of the sights will vary based on someone's interest level, but in general. If I were to start at 2:00(or is this even too generous) is this a 3 hour walk? 4-5? If I end up at the Colosseum at 8pm is that an unsafe area? Is this too much? There will be a stop for dinner and wine somewhere in this trip too. Is this biting off too much after a long trip(8 hrs Chicago to London and 3 hrs London to Rome)?

It is a lot of walking after a LONG flight. That being said, we have done almost exactly what you outlined, except in the reverse order. The only disappointment we had last month was that they are working on the Trevi Fountain and there was no water just scaffolding all over the fountain. Very disappointed that we could not again throw our coins in the fountain, however, I am sure we will return anyway. It depends on how fast or slow you walk, but we have done it in less than 3 hours. If you stop for dinner you could be back to the Hotel by 8:00 or 9:00. We have never felt unsafe anywhere in Rome. If you are too tired to walk it when you arrive, they also have hop on hop off buses that hit the top spots.

Vatican City is also very special, but would require another day.

Enjoy Rome and your cruise

Edited by Phxazzcruisers

Safe? It depends. Don't wear any jewelry of any kind. Keep your money/credit cards in a safe area, close to your body, under your clothes. Beware of young children who might surround you asking for money. Usually, they are very well trained pickpockets. Be especially careful about walking off the beaten path, once it gets dark.

I really think it's an ambitious tour, especially after a long flight. But, if you get tired, you can always get a taxi back to your hotel.

If it is truly all the time you have, then it is doable. That said, you will be missing so much. If at all possible take the time to at least do a tour of the colosseum. As for safety, I have spent a lot of time in the city and have always felt very safe day or night.

Thanks for the feedback. We really will be limited on time.

We land at noon on Sun and the Celebrity bus is picking us up I believe at 11am at our hotel on Mon to take us to the ship.

The distance in and of itself doesn't worry me as my wife and I are both runners and will actually have to keep up with training for an upcoming 1/2 marathon during our cruise. I had also planned to leave everything not needed at the hotel and carry the necessities in a backpack with safety pins on the zippers for security.

The original plan was to do the walk and include the fountain, the forum and the Colosseum. Then watched Rick Steves Rome last night and the steps and the Panthenon looked pretty awesome...but certainly adds to the walk. I figured we would stop for a drink and some dinner anywhere along the way and would catch a cab back from the Colosseum. The idea was to use some excitement (new things to see right down the road) to help keep us going and after a full day we would wrap up in the evening Rome time to help get adjusted to the time difference as well. We will sleep on the flight....leave at 5pm local time, watch one movie and then go to sleep. Wake up after 5 hours of sleep and now it's 6am in Heathrow...then a small nap from London to Rome.

As it sounds like you are very fit, I would think you will have no problem with this walk. We did similar in June when were in Rome. Rome is very walkable.

Yes, you may wish to spend a little more time at some items (like the Colosseum, which is a good reason to put it first). Seeing the inside of the Colosseum is a key point. The Forum is very interesting, and may hold you there for a while.

So, yes, you can breeze through very easily, but it will be difficult to not stop at look at things that interest you.

Edited by CruiserBruce

If you're used to walking, it should be no problem. The last 2-3 times I've arrived in Rome, I've walked miles on my arrival day. But I adjust well to jet lag as long as I keep moving (and it helps to spend time outside in the natural light).

Adding the Pantheon shouldn't really add much to your walk. Distances in Rome are not that far. If I could suggest anything, it would be to completely reverse your schedule. Walk to the Colosseum first, then work your way back to your hotel. This would let you spend some good time looking around the Colosseum and Forum area in full daylight. Get to the Pantheon before the doors close at 7pm, then plan to have dinner in that area (lots of good choices around, just look at a menu and make a choice.) Then Trevi.

Trevi Fountain is really at its best when seen at night. However, you should be aware that it is undergoing extensive renovation right now. (At least for the next year.)

^ this -- reverse itinerary is best! You will have no problem, especially if your visit is during months of late sunset. Be sure to add Vittorio Emanuele ("the wedding cake"), Piazza Navona and a stroll down the Via dei Condotti (all easily incorporated). Have a wonderful time!

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Great info...thank you

kind of a bummer hearing about the fountain, but not much I can do to change it

I do like the idea of reversing the path as suggested as to end near the hotel.

forgot to add...we will be there early Oct...Sun the 5th to be exact

Edited by txflood33

^ this -- reverse itinerary is best! You will have no problem, especially if your visit is during months of late sunset. Be sure to add Vittorio Emanuele ("the wedding cake"), Piazza Navona and a stroll down the Via dei Condotti (all easily incorporated). Have a wonderful time!

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I agree. Skip Trevi fountain and Spanish steps (or ask the taxi driver to pass on your way to or from the hotel). You will pass Vittorio Emnuele on your way from the Forum to Pantheon.

After your visit to Pantheon (always the highlight of ant trip of mine-finally got to experience it in the rain last year:D), I suggest you have gelato at Ci Gusto (I mean you are a marathon runner so you can indulge right?:rolleyes:). It is artisan gelato and is usually among the top few places on "best of" lists. When you leave the Rotunda, walk straight towards the cafés across the piazza, bear slight left and follow the side street...it will be on your right at the next corner.

You might want to reconsider the X transfer....we enjoyed our train trip....and the $ it saved us!

Edited by Clay Clayton

I agree. Skip Trevi fountain and Spanish steps (or ask the taxi driver to pass on your way to or from the hotel). You will pass Vittorio Emnuele on your way from the Forum to Pantheon.

Going to/from their hotel, the Spanish Steps and Trevi won't be out of their way; might as well pass by them if there is time.

Even though Trevi is under renovation, there is a clever "bridge" that allows you to get up close to the sculpture (something that's normally not possible).

After your visit to Pantheon (always the highlight of ant trip of mine-finally got to experience it in the rain last year:D), I suggest you have gelato at Ci Gusto (I mean you are a marathon runner so you can indulge right?:rolleyes:). It is artisan gelato and is usually among the top few places on "best of" lists. When you leave the Rotunda, walk straight towards the cafés across the piazza, bear slight left and follow the side street...it will be on your right at the next corner.

We will be there in a month, and gelato is definitely on our list. Thanks for the directions! (I love the Parthenon; only had one fairly quick visit there, also in the rain. I'm looking forward to spending more time there, and perhaps no rain. :) )

We will be there in a month, and gelato is definitely on our list. Thanks for the directions! (I love the Parthenon; only had one fairly quick visit there, also in the rain. I'm looking forward to spending more time there, and perhaps no rain. :) )

Love the Parthenon too but if you are going to get from Athens to Ci Gusto you are going to need more than my directions!:rolleyes::D

Love the Parthenon too but if you are going to get from Athens to Ci Gusto you are going to need more than my directions!:rolleyes::D

Yes, truly a long trip (but I hope the gelato would be worth it.) :)

I HATE that you cannot edit your own posts (even your brain farts)....

You might want to reconsider the X transfer....we enjoyed our train trip....and the $ it saved us!

For gelato we find http://www.gelatoicaruso.it to be one of the best :D

Great tip! We were in Rome a few months back and stopped at Ci Gusto. Very, very good.

Also, I don't remember the name, but we also ate at one of the cafe's noted in your directions. It would be the one of the left as looking from the Pantheon entrance. Incredible food there as well.

Great tip! We were in Rome a few months back and stopped at Ci Gusto. Very, very good.

Also, I don't remember the name, but we also ate at one of the cafe's noted in your directions. It would be the one of the left as looking from the Pantheon entrance. Incredible food there as well.

Not sure where you ate but we LOVED a cafe' that was to the right as you left the Pantheon....almost to the next corner. It was higher end than those directly on the piazza del rotunda....a little expensive but very tasty.