touching base with family

coachfanmd

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Depends on where you are cruising to. On board computers for e mail is our first choice. But also phones in ports and Internet cafes in ports are very popular. Just ask the crew where the best ones are. they know.

Just an FYI in case you were not aware... Verizon told me to turn off my automatic roaming and to turn the phone off while on the ship... the nice verizon guy said that the ships have their own cell towers and it is not included in our verizon plan... either is texting.... they charge their own fees. We will just use it in the ports (Alaska) and not call as much...

:)

The cheapest way is to use local internet cafes in ports. You can also pick up a phone card to use to make long distance calls come. If you feel a need to always be accessible, there are cell phone choices but even if your existing phone will work in port, you might want to consider other options. The calls can be quite expensive and if a lot a people have your cell number, you may wind up spending a bunch of money for calls you don't want. Some cell phone providers can offer you a phone you can rent for the length of the cruise and you can give that number to only the people you want to hear from.

I have Verizon as well and the texting costs were .50 cents for outgoing and .05 for incoming texts. If you are only in need of a message or 2 per day this could be the cheapest way. I keep my phone off and only turn it on to look at a text from my kids and send one at a particular time each day.

One of the things I loved about cruising when I first started was that I was not accessible! If I was sailing without my children I would always get an internet package and visit the ships internet cafe (before the days of ship wifi) each day to check in on my kids. Now I bring a laptop and do this from my cabin. But honestly, I think for now on I will just stick with the texting rather than spending 50+ dollars on an internet package.

Call Verizon and they will give you all the details.

• 2 weeks later...
What is the best way to keep in touch while cruising so my neurotic family doesn't panic and I don't run up my Verizon bill?

Tell them that you are on vacation, you don't need to talk to them every day, and that you might call then when you come home.

Then forget about them and enjoy yourself.

DON

Tell them that you are on vacation, you don't need to talk to them every day, and that you might call then when you come home.

Then forget about them and enjoy yourself.

DON

I need the like button again!!! lol

I have AT&T so I call them before I cruise and get the international plan for wherever I am cruising to. It cuts the rates down dramatically. Then I only call, text or email when in port and preferably when I can get on wifi. I never use Cellular at Sea because the costs are outrageous.

Last year I cruised europe for a week and used my phone to make a few calls, send a few texts and emails as well. With the international plan added on only for my trip I spent a total of about $100 for the whole week.

It turns off many other cruisers especially when talking out loud on those things. Use low tech items as post it notes on your cabin doors, a commonly decided on meeting place on board the ship for example, on deck chairs with your pool towels and the voice mail function on your in cabin phones. Tell your neurotic family members that it is your vacation as well as there will no excuse for panic or anxiety. Patience and a good sense of humor are the best guarrantees for a well enjoyed cruise.

If something bad happens back home, they can call the Carnival corporation, and get a message to you. Then money is only a slight concern.

I would look for internet cafes in ports. In Cozumel, at the dock I found a great place that gave you free internet service for an hour, if you bought a fancy coffee drink.

We always tell our families, if someone dies, keep them on ice. We'll be home in a week or so. They'll keep. (Honestly we do!).

Don't call us, we are on vacation. Don't expect us to call you, we are on vacation. If there is an emergency, then I will pay whatever the costs are to deal with it at the time. So far in 18+ cruises, no emergencies = no phone/text bill.

Archived