Royal's Quantam goes all in with NCL freestyle dining

david_sobe

NCL was definitely a pioneer with freestyle dining and adding so many specialty restaurants. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery :)

I wonder how the Royal passengers will react. Looks like Royal is abandoning the traditional dining.

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2014/03/28/royal-caribbean-ditches-traditional-dining-on-quantum/

I'm sorry

I will paint a target on my chest and everyone can throw nickels and dimes at me :)

It took more work to copy and paste all those links rather just saying there is a thread about it already. Oh well, cant delete it.... so enjoy ;)

For what it's worth, the article here is better than those posted :)

Edited by david_sobe

I'm sorry

I will paint a target on my chest and everyone can throw nickels and dimes at me :)

It took more work to copy and paste all those links rather just saying there is a thread about it already. Oh well, cant delete it.... so enjoy ;)

For what it's worth, the article here is better than those posted :)

Glad there is more than one thread. One of the others has so much pointless bickering that a real discussion of the pros and cons is impossible.

There seems to be a lot of gnashing of teeth with Royal fans over the loss of the big MDR and no more traditional seatings. I personally think it is a mistake for Royal. Even on NCL ships, people love the big MDR.

I do like the idea of several free venues with different themes, steak, Italian etc., even though the menus in each are fixed daily. It is one of the big reasons we pay the extra fee on NCL, just for a change of scenery.

But the big drawback I see with their concept is that you cannot just decide spur of the moment. From what I am reading, it is expected that you will reserve your nights well in advance and it is strongly encouraged that you reserve each and every one. Two or three nights at the same venue frowned upon. To me, it seems more similar to Disney's concept where you are rotated to a different dining room each night. But with Royal, they want you to make a reservation. Seems like it will be a logistical nightmare to me, trying to sort out reservation requests for several thousand people, since there is no other option except for fee or buffet.

There seems to be a lot of gnashing of teeth with Royal fans over the loss of the big MDR and no more traditional seatings. I personally think it is a mistake for Royal. Even on NCL ships, people love the big MDR.

I do like the idea of several free venues with different themes, steak, Italian etc., even though the menus in each are fixed daily. It is one of the big reasons we pay the extra fee on NCL, just for a change of scenery.

I agree, very controversial among Royal fans. I'd say unscientifically it's been about 60-40 in favor of the new system on CC, but that's pretty darn close. I agree with your second comment too, adapting one of the hallmark concepts of specialty dining (eating in a special themed restaurant) to included dining is very appealing to me. I'm sure the food will not be up to the quality of specialty dining, but I look forward to seeing how it all plays out.

Didn't Princess try different dining rooms with different menus several years back?

I seem to recall when Sapphire and Diamond came out they had different themed restaurants. That didn't last too long. It seems that one restaurant was always more popular and in demand than the others, but since the restaurants were smaller it resulted in long waiting times to get into that one while the others were empty.

Didn't Princess try different dining rooms with different menus several years back?

I seem to recall when Sapphire and Diamond came out they had different themed restaurants. That didn't last too long. It seems that one restaurant was always more popular and in demand than the others, but since the restaurants were smaller it resulted in long waiting times to get into that one while the others were empty.

Good point....it will be interesting, for example, to see how long the "formal only" restaurant lasts.

Not to mention the same menu every night concept...that will be the first one to change.

Good point....it will be interesting, for example, to see how long the "formal only" restaurant lasts.

Not to mention the same menu every night concept...that will be the first one to change.

Oh I don't know, the fact that the menu in venue A never changes does not bother me. As long as it differs from the menu in venue B. It is pretty much like NCL's menu at Cagneys or Le Bistro never changing. But if I eat at one of them twice, I can certainly try something else on the menu.

I think the biggest problem is the need to reserve them. It really bears no resemblance to Freestyle, which is initially what I thought they were suggesting. They have a pretty good concept, but they mucked it up with making it too difficult.

Well, I had to go and look at those menus. Are those four restaurants free? The menus do look good.

That is my understanding. It remains to be seen what effect, if any, this will have on the cruise fares on Royal. If I could get a different venue each night without having to pay for specialties, I might be tempted. But the fares would have to be really competitive compared to NCL's and somehow I don't think that is going to happen.

Yes, Princess tried this several years back. They had four "main" dining rooms, each one with a different theme. They would have a set menu each night that was available in all four, but, based on the theme of the dining room, would then have an added entree along with set appetizers complementing the theme of each room. Example, one had a southwest theme and had chips and salsa, southwest eggrolls, etc., available every night, plus a southwest themed entree. The Italian one would maybe have a ravioli special as an added entree along with parma ham/melon appetizer.

NCL really seems to be setting the standard for where cruising is headed. Better to be out front than playing catch-up. Where NCL seems to excel though is the entertainment area. So much to do on their big ships and RCCL, Carnival, Princess and definitely HAL simply can't compete as yet. Fascinating how all the mainstream lines have managed, with each new ship that comes out, to one-up each other. I personally don't see cruising going stale for us any time in the foreseeable future. :cool:

Edited by tarps14

That is my understanding. It remains to be seen what effect, if any, this will have on the cruise fares on Royal. If I could get a different venue each night without having to pay for specialties, I might be tempted. But the fares would have to be really competitive compared to NCL's and somehow I don't think that is going to happen.

QOS will prob be pretty pricey for a while. On paper the 4 menus look great, with I think enough choices to cover 7 sittings split amongst them, but how it all taste will be another matter. I don't think we should expect specialty level quality or service as those for fee restaurants will still be there for those who wish to pay extra.

I don't really see the huge deal about this as it is just dividing the mdr into 4 smaller mdrs each supposedly thematically and culinarily different; hasn't Disney been doing this for a while? I guess from a marketing perspective you have to come out big about it.

The other thread on this has become a whole RCI/ NCL mine is bigger than yours shouting match.

From the article linked by David...."Finally, Royal Caribbean says Quantum of the Seas will be the first cruise ship with a hot dog stand, known as the Seaplex Dog House. There is no charge for the hotdogs, or the onions, mustard, relish and sauerkraut you’ll want to pile on top of them"...

Total rip off from Norwegian's Hot Dog carts on the Breakaway! :rolleyes:

...I'm off to buy more NCL stock. ;)

But the big drawback I see with their concept is that you cannot just decide spur of the moment. From what I am reading, it is expected that you will reserve your nights well in advance and it is strongly encouraged that you reserve each and every one. Two or three nights at the same venue frowned upon.

What is your source for that? Making reservations pre-cruise will be available but is not required. In fact you can walk right up with no set reservations. Now, conditions on board will dictate if there is a wait at that time or not obviously.

Your statement is the first I have read that multiple nights at the same venue is frowned upon. The information I have seen indicates you can park yourself in the same place at the same time with the same group each night if that is your desire. Go to any given free place as much or as little as you like with set times or not. Hence the name Dynamic. Will it work seamlessly and perfectly? Probably not; a lot of moving pieces and it will take time for them to find a rhythm, but I am optimistic and it has me considering ships I otherwise had no particular interest in.

Put me in the "Willing to give it a try" camp.

From the article linked by David...."Finally, Royal Caribbean says Quantum of the Seas will be the first cruise ship with a hot dog stand, known as the Seaplex Dog House. There is no charge for the hotdogs, or the onions, mustard, relish and sauerkraut you’ll want to pile on top of them"...

Hahaha my eyes were wide when I read that too :eek: ... So funny! "Well YOURS is a hot dog CART, and OURS is a hot dog STAND, so :P"

Whatever, all I read were free hot dogs :D

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Actually, that article and your comment are both wrong.

Allure of the Seas has had the Boardwalk Dog House hot dog stand, free of charge, since the ship debuted. The Boardwalk Dog House has already been added to at least 3 other RCI ships during their refurbishments.

Edited by Aquahound

I have been eating hotdogs on all cruise ships for the last 38 years . Nice to know that some of the cruise lines I haven't sailed are discovering hotdogs !!!!!

Instead of .....when is lobster night?

Is it now......when is hot dog night?

:)

I agree, very controversial among Royal fans. I'd say unscientifically it's been about 60-40 in favor of the new system on CC, but that's pretty darn close. I agree with your second comment too, adapting one of the hallmark concepts of specialty dining (eating in a special themed restaurant) to included dining is very appealing to me. I'm sure the food will not be up to the quality of specialty dining, but I look forward to seeing how it all plays out.

Malcolm Oliver's cruise blog has a poll. So far it is 54% a little dissapointed, 38% like it and 8% not for them.

NCL was definitely a pioneer with freestyle dining and adding so many specialty restaurants. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery :)

I wonder how the Royal passengers will react. Looks like Royal is abandoning the traditional dining.

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2014/03/28/royal-caribbean-ditches-traditional-dining-on-quantum/

Imitation is indeed flattery, however, RCCL is saying they are revolutionizing the future of cruising. In other words, are taking credit as their idea. I know it is tweeked, but come on, give credit where credit is due. It's NCL's.

We may have to try this - or actually a future ship which sails from Florida.

Lol. Carnival Breeze has a hot dog cart up in their sports area, and Carnival Breeze debuted before Breakaway ;);)