Currency in Canada

augiesmom

What currency is accepted in Canada?

Canadian dollars.

Some businesses close the US borders may accept US dollars (but if you are due back change, you'll get it in Canadian).

Edited by Shmoo here

Canadian money. We don't take pennies anymore and we have loonies and toonies for $1.00 and $2.00. Bills start at $5.00 and up.

Remember that the States will not take Canadian money and not sure why we should take American money. Oh unless you are willing to let your American money go for par. Then I will help with that LOL

tigercat

We live near Niagara Falls, Canada. While many establishments will accept U.S. money, they do not give a very good exchange rate. You would be further ahead to buy Canadian dollars at a bank or just put things on your credit card.

This topic seems to come up a half dozen times a year in various forums and the answer is always the same. The Canadian currency is the only currency that is legal tender in Canada. The said, as a courtesy to our American cousins the USD is accepted in most if not all Canadian port cities and cities close to the border. However, it is highly unlikely you are going to get the current exchange rate on the USD. I can certainly speak for Vancouver and Victoria where the USD is accepted by virtually all merchants and service providers including taxis, government liquor stores and even the Canadian Post office, about the only service that will not accept the USD is the public transit system. So the bottom line is if you are only going to be in a Canadian port for a few hours or a day then it may not be worth the time and effort to get money exchanged, the USD will work, just don't expect the full exchange rate.

This topic seems to come up a half dozen times a year in various forums and the answer is always the same. The Canadian currency is the only currency that is legal tender in Canada. The said, as a courtesy to our American cousins the USD is accepted in most if not all Canadian port cities and cities close to the border. However, it is highly unlikely you are going to get the current exchange rate on the USD. I can certainly speak for Vancouver and Victoria where the USD is accepted by virtually all merchants and service providers including taxis, government liquor stores and even the Canadian Post office, about the only service that will not accept the USD is the public transit system. So the bottom line is if you are only going to be in a Canadian port for a few hours or a day then it may not be worth the time and effort to get money exchanged, the USD will work, just don't expect the full exchange rate.

But even if you are in the Port City for just a few hours it might be educational to get some Canadian currency beforehand if only to see that there are other colours in the spectrum besides green.:D;)

I'm assuming I'll need Canadian currency for my taxi from YVR-Canada Place (don't want to use credit card) and the roundtrip back ? And there will be four adults and one toddler and luggage (4 pieces) and stroller (foldable) how much currency should I have with me ?

Edited by Ashland

I spent a few days in Vancouver and was told to exchange American for Canadian by some people. Going to an exchange it seemed to me with commissions not to be worth it. The currencies have been near par for several years. I use American, no problem, in Vancouver at least.

I'm assuming I'll need Canadian currency for my taxi from YVR-Canada Place (don't want to use credit card) and the roundtrip back ? And there will be four adults and one toddler and luggage (4 pieces) and stroller (foldable) how much currency should I have with me ?

Last time I took a cab it was about $50 one way. Traffic in Vancouver can be very bad at times which increases the cost. Most of the time we just take the Sky Train (Subway) right from the terminal to Canada Place.

You will get the best exchange rate using a CC, but if you really won't use one you can get loonies at YVR. Don't expect a favorable exchange rate. The rate is better at the ATMs at the banks near Canada Place.

Last time I took a cab it was about $50 one way. Traffic in Vancouver can be very bad at times which increases the cost. Most of the time we just take the Sky Train (Subway) right from the terminal to Canada Place.

I thought there was a flat rate...no :confused:

Thanks, but not interested in the Sky Train with luggage etc and toddler.

You will get the best exchange rate using a CC, but if you really won't use one you can get loonies at YVR. Don't expect a favorable exchange rate. The rate is better at the ATMs at the banks near Canada Place.

"Loonies" :confused:

I could purchase Canadian before leaving home...not interested in the hassel/time of changing money at the airport we want to get to the ship...Perhaps I will just use a credit card if this is going to be the easiest...just not comfortable using one in a taxi...JMHO.

There are ATMs at the airport. Could also buy some Canadian at AAA or your bank to get you started.

Loonies are the Canadian dollar coin. There's a picture of a loon on them, hence 'Loonie'. The $2 coin is affectionately called the 'Toonie'. It has a bear (named Churchill) on the reverse, not two loons.

FWIW I'm not in Canada but got the info online. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_2_dollar_coin

Edited by SadieN

There is now a flat rate scheme in place and the fare is $35 from YVR to Canada Place. You may need to wait a few extra minutes for a mini-van cab but the price will be the same. No, you do not need Canadian money to pay the cabbie but plan that your USD will get you somewhere between 0 to a 10% discount.

We just yesterday took a cab from our hotel near Canada Place (Westin Bayshore) to the airport. Fare was a little over CA$34 plus tip - flat rate, meter not running.

Edited by Kartgv

We just yesterday took a cab from our hotel near Canada Place (Westin Bayshore) to the airport. Fare was a little over CA$34 plus tip - flat rate, meter not running.

Unless the driver offered you that flat rate up-front and you agreed to it, you should have had a free trip - no meter, no payment is how the bylaws governing taxis work here. INBOUND travel from YVR is now fixed-rate but all zones have nice round numbers, tax-included - Westin Bayshore is in the $35 zone.

I spent a few days in Vancouver and was told to exchange American for Canadian by some people. Going to an exchange it seemed to me with commissions not to be worth it. The currencies have been near par for several years. I use American, no problem, in Vancouver at least.

Not anymore right now $1 Canadian Dollar is worth about 0.82 USD