Mediterranean Cruise in July / August

billydog

Looking at Med cruises in July and August. Barcelona to Rome type route. Is it the weather too hot for comfort at time of year? Love to hear any feedback.

Thanks

It's hot and queues are long. If we could go in the shoulder months, we would ;).

Looking at Med cruises in July and August. Barcelona to Rome type route. Is it the weather too hot for comfort at time of year? Love to hear any feedback.

Thanks

Two years ago was 100 degrees in Florence and my hotel didn't have AC. It's not something I would recommend if you can go another time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We live in the U.K. and never go anywhere in mainland Europe in July/August. It's far too hot and can be humid, plus it's too busy everywhere.

Many places are becoming very crowded all year round, but it is worse during these months.

I lived in Italy for several years. I agree with the others; too hot, limited air conditioning, and very crowded. European nationals typically vacation much of August and head south. If you want to cruise in the summer I would select a northern itinerary.

We are from Georgia in the USA and used to the heat. We did a 14 day cruise in the Aegean and Adriatic in early July 2010. Loved the cruise. Yes, it was hot. You wear a shirt one day and with the perspiration, it needs to be washed.

Just remember to drink plenty of water. Also, after all as we say down South, God did invent air conditioning, so its only when you are out touring.

Since we have school aged children we were limited to summer months. We were in Barcelona for four nights then on Disney Magic for a week to 3 Italian ports. It was hot (and we're from Texas). We did DIY and independent excursions. Aug 15 is a national holiday and the Sisteen chapel was closed. Do I regret going? Not at all. If that's all that's available to you and you want to go, do it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Did did the Med cruise in Italy and Spain in July. We're from GA and used to hot weather, but we recognize when it's hot. We made sure to book a pre-cruise hotel that had a/c and read the reviews to make sure it worked. We carried those cool-towels for any time we spent standing in ques (Vatican), and when our itinerary included Turkey. While it was hot in the Med, we visited Universal Studio in August this past year and it was hotter. We are limited to traveling in the summer so we know to expect hot weather. It didn't stop us from thoroughly enjoying this trip of a lifetime. The evenings were fabulous and the temperatures were fine. During the day, we used taxis during the heat of the day, rather than walking for long distances in the sun. We kept a bottle of water and our cool towels when our plans included something we knew would have us out in the heat in a long line. When possible, we pre-purchased tickets to minimize our time outside. We enjoyed it so much, we took a similar Med cruise the following year...same time of the year.

We cruised the Western Med last September, neither of us like the sun and we were expecting cooler weather than June/July. There was a heatwave and temperatures were in the high 30s most of the time, its OK on the ship but when you dock you want to visit places and explore on foot, we found the excessive heat uncomfortable and energy sapping. Sometimes we couldn't wait to get back on the ship for a cold drink and a rest.

It depends what you are used to I suppose, we live in the North East of England and a hot day for us is 20 degrees!

We are from Scotland so not used to the heat! When we cruised with our son we were restricted to July and August school holidays. We found the cruises in the Eastern Med to be hotter than those in the Western med. Greece and Greek islands were particularly hot. We made sure to pre book as much as possible to save queuing in the sun.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Did an Eastern Med cruise (Italy, Greece, Turkey) in July one year and it was extremely hot. Fortunately we booked the earliest excursions offered to avoid the mid afternoon heat but even still it was uncomfortable at times. As others have said I would avoid July/August if the heat is a concern.

Wife and I ( 70) did Barcelona to Rome , Venice and 4 other ports.

Barcelona was nice 80s . 6 ports were 95+ and humid. Plus Rome and Venice were crowded , I mean packed. Dubrovnik , Montenegro and Malta were not crowded. Don't be fooled by a sign saying condition air , it means they have a fan inside. I had a digital thermometer on table on balcony and it never went below 78 degrees even at night. We had a good time, bring a hat, water and try to stay in shade. Last 4 cruises were NOT in summer.

My wife and I did a Barcelona to Venice last July with a couple days in Frankfurt on the front end and a couple days stay over in Venice at the end. Yes it was warm to hot but really not a problem for us we like hot weather and we just planned for it and we went on a excursion at every port and the only one that was to hot for us was our day in Rome but still loved it and the next day we were on the Island of Capri with nice breezes and loved it so I know it's not for everyone but we met a lot of people on the ship and not one said they did not enjoy the cruise. We are going back next July 20th on the Reflection to Italy and Greece. .

Thanks

yes. This is when I went and I was miserable outdoors. I wish I had gone at a more temperate time.

We did a Venice/Greece cruise in August in 2015. It was the only time we could fit it in because of our children's school break. I was worried about the heat too, but it ended up being fine. Athens was the hottest, but we hired a van with A/C and did most walking in the morning. We were really glad we went.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello!

I have read your comments.

I'm Italian, I work in Milan all month of August (warmer month) and I never died.

The air conditioning you have is definitely higher than how we keep it, but I think that the excursions of a few hours can be done.

If you only have the hottest months to make a cruise in Europe, I still leave.

sorry for the translation...

We're going in late July next year (Taylor D, I think we're on your sailing) because I don't have a choice: I'm a teacher, and July/August are the only months I can travel. (Can't wait for retirement.) The advice I've been getting from others who also had to travel during those months has been to book private tours (in nicely air-conditioned vehicles) so that we can go at our own pace -- and stop for gelato when necessary -- and to schedule any outdoor-with-no-shade touring (the Acropolis, Pompeii, etc.) for as early in the morning as possible.

I think we'll survive. (Fingers crossed.) We survived Disney World in Florida in August.

Hello!

I have read your comments.

I'm Italian, I work in Milan all month of August (warmer month) and I never died.

The air conditioning you have is definitely higher than how we keep it, but I think that the excursions of a few hours can be done.

If you only have the hottest months to make a cruise in Europe, I still leave.

sorry for the translation...

I think as this is vacation one would hope for better than not dying. I actually found that many days I was too sticky, sweaty, and uncomfortable to enjoy anything. Also, forget a lot of ice for cold drinks and little or no air conditioning as stated by others above.

Did a Med cruise at the end of July. It was hot. Some days, extremely hot. We are teachers so summer is the only time we can go. Do I regret it? Not at all. If you choose to go during the summer, use a couple of strategies:

1. If you can get a drink pkg included (or buy one) it will be worth it. Grabbing cold bottles of water throughout the day, and as you leave the ship for an excursion helps you stay hydrated and healthy. Enjoying icy cold drinks upon your return is a welcome relief from the heat too;p

2. Schedule port excursions for as early as you can on days you know there will be hotter weather. When we were in Athens it was 24 C (75 F) at 7:30am and 45 C (115 F) at noon when we went back to the ship. Glad we went early!

3. See if you can book your tickets before you leave for the Coliseum in Rome, Vatican, etc to avoid standing in line in hot weather. Some lines take a long time.

4. Prepare yourself, mentally and physically. Expect the weather to be hot, don't be surprised by it. Bring hats, sunscreen, sunglasses, battery powered fans, cooling neck wraps, etc. Keep hydrated.

5. Don't plan excursions that stop here there and everywhere in one day. You will wear out. Most likely you will have to pick and choose.

5. Take a cab. We planned to save money and take bus, subway and trains. In the end we opted for a quick air conditioned taxi ride. Did it cost more? Yes. Did it break the bank? No. Saving yourself or partner from becoming hot and cranky is important.:cool:

Would I go in the summer again? Yes!! Would my husband? No.

Just realize the weather will be hot and attractions will be crowded.

If it is possible for you to go in the spring or fall, it will be cooler and chances are the prices will be kinder on your wallet too.

If you can only go in the summer, it's better than not going at all...IMHO ;)

Hope this helps and gives you something to consider.

Enjoy!

Did a Med cruise at the end of July. It was hot. Some days, extremely hot. We are teachers so summer is the only time we can go. Do I regret it? Not at all. If you choose to go during the summer, use a couple of strategies:

1. If you can get a drink pkg included (or buy one) it will be worth it. Grabbing cold bottles of water throughout the day, and as you leave the ship for an excursion helps you stay hydrated and healthy. Enjoying icy cold drinks upon your return is a welcome relief from the heat too;p

2. Schedule port excursions for as early as you can on days you know there will be hotter weather. When we were in Athens it was 24 C (75 F) at 7:30am and 45 C (115 F) at noon when we went back to the ship. Glad we went early!

3. See if you can book your tickets before you leave for the Coliseum in Rome, Vatican, etc to avoid standing in line in hot weather. Some lines take a long time.

4. Prepare yourself, mentally and physically. Expect the weather to be hot, don't be surprised by it. Bring hats, sunscreen, sunglasses, battery powered fans, cooling neck wraps, etc. Keep hydrated.

5. Don't plan excursions that stop here there and everywhere in one day. You will wear out. Most likely you will have to pick and choose.

5. Take a cab. We planned to save money and take bus, subway and trains. In the end we opted for a quick air conditioned taxi ride. Did it cost more? Yes. Did it break the bank? No. Saving yourself or partner from becoming hot and cranky is important.:cool:

Would I go in the summer again? Yes!! Would my husband? No.

Just realize the weather will be hot and attractions will be crowded.

If it is possible for you to go in the spring or fall, it will be cooler and chances are the prices will be kinder on your wallet too.

If you can only go in the summer, it's better than not going at all...IMHO ;)

Hope this helps and gives you something to consider.

Enjoy!

Love these tips. Especially battery powered fans! Thank you.