Carnival fascination out of San Juan questions

Gbpa1991

I'm just one who do not like to take risk when i'm going on vacation,

I would like to hear from others who agree or disagree on Passports

It is definitely great to have a passport. You use it for more than just travel. I have used it as my second form of ID for job paperwork in lieu of my social security card. I would much rather carry my passport around than the Social Security card. Even though the cruises are a closed loop, you are going to another country and in the event you need to fly back to the U.S. It could be a problem. Things do happen, people get sick, car accidents (taxi, rental), flat tire on the way back to port, traffic, the possibilities are endless.

Keep in mind that passports are valid for 10 years so even if the initial price is high, spread out over 10 years it is totally worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I can only speak for myself but I don't like buying things that I don't need, especially if they come with an expiration date. When we first started cruising it would have cost $850 or so for passports for my family, which was close to what our entire 4 day cruise cost. I did the research and determined that given the low risk associated with sailing on a closed loop cruise we would wait until we actually needed them for the type of travel we were doing.

You are comparing "apples to oranges". The cruise was for 4 days; the passports are good for 10 years.

You are comparing "apples to oranges". The cruise was for 4 days; the passports are good for 10 years.

No, there are no apples to oranges to compare, we had no plans to travel internationally by air in the foreseeable future, so obtaining passports didn't seem reasonable (after researching the issue)and we decided to wait to get passports until we were planning a trip that actually required it. By the time that happened our passports would have only had 4 years remaining on them, which to me represents waste. (And only some of the passports would have been good for 10 years, 3 of them would have only been good for 5 years.)

Passports all the way, better safe than sorry.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

soon we are going to need passports just to travel on planes from state to state.....so like it or not, you will be getting them :mad:

I agree that a passport is better just in case of a medical or any kind of emergency that would come up during the cruise. One of our friends broke her ankle getting out of a beach chair and it was a mess to fly her home without the passport, Since they are good for ten years they seem to be a bargain to me. Since we travel with our daughter I just don't want the worry and we all have elderly relatives that might have a emergency at home. Its just a choice.....We did the San Juan cruise two years ago and its still our fav. I just brought our luggage to the port and checked in and we were off to explore the entire day till about 8. The forts are not to be missed! It was a Sunday and I loved how the people were so kind and really family oriented. I did worry cause some people told us that we needed the passports to get back on but it was not trouble with the drivers license and sail and sign card. Have fun!

We did this cruise in June. Like others have said, you can get on and off the ship. There is a liquor shop right in the port building so you could go back and get more wine if you wanted. They do screen your bag coming back in so I am not sure if liquor would make it through or not. I know they were taking stuff at the various ports when you got back on the ship.

As for a passport...you don't HAVE to have one for this sailing but I personally wouldn't travel without a passport. I worry too much about the "what ifs" lol

We loved this cruise btw!!!

Staggered check-in aside, what have been people's experience with being able to board the ship? Is this similar to other US based ports where it's anywhere from 11:00-1:00 that boarding starts? We have priority boarding, so simply wondering why it opens up.

Also, how does it work to get off the ship and come back on in SJ? Are there separate lines/areas? Is it just like reboarding at a regular port of call? Go through a detector and all?

We have decided to go ahead and get passports for my husband and son. I guess I'm just not that much of a risk taker after all! Can someone advise on whether or not to leave/carry the originals versus copies? I can't remember if it's better to leave the original in the safe on the ship and carry copies or vice versa?

We have decided to go ahead and get passports for my husband and son. I guess I'm just not that much of a risk taker after all! Can someone advise on whether or not to leave/carry the originals versus copies? I can't remember if it's better to leave the original in the safe on the ship and carry copies or vice versa?

Then you've made the best choice for you. As for whether or not you should leave them on the ship again it's going to be split between those that feel safer with them on their person and those that feel safer with them in the safe. You have to do what feels comfortable to you. FWIW we left ours in the safe.

This would be like only taking a copy of your drivers' license with you and leaving the original in the safe. There is no point in having a passport if you don't take it with you off the ship. If the ship leaves without you for whatever reason and your passport is on the ship, it will not help you at all. We have taken ours with us for years and have never had a problem. We now use them for IDs on domestic flights instead of DL, it's just easier.

This would be like only taking a copy of your drivers' license with you and leaving the original in the safe. There is no point in having a passport if you don't take it with you off the ship. If the ship leaves without you for whatever reason and your passport is on the ship, it will not help you at all. We have taken ours with us for years and have never had a problem. We now use them for IDs on domestic flights instead of DL, it's just easier.

Thanks Amy. Of course this makes perfect sense! Now that you have jogged my memory I remember we left copies in the safe just in case we lost the actual Passport.

The bottom line....

Things happen...sometimes not good.

You are away, in a foreign country,

where in the end, nobody cares about you.

If something should go wrong, your ONLY hope/help is that passport.

period..

People buy trip insurance, so that if anything goes wrong, there are no problems

Why would you risk really SERIOUS problems.

All it takes is to read some of the horror posts on here to know...dont risk not having your PP (original is the ONLY one excepted-not copies) on you when you are on the Islands. Hopefully you will NEVER need to use it. But if you do, you will thank God you did! you are on Vacation...no worries wanted

Can't tell you how many times I watched our ship sail out of Port.. w people running to the ship, waving arms, screaming... :D

The bottom line....

period..

People buy trip insurance, so that if anything goes wrong, there are no problems

All it takes is to read some of the horror posts on here to know...dont risk not having your PP (original is the ONLY one excepted-not copies) on you when you are on the Islands. Hopefully you will NEVER need to use it. But if you do, you will thank God you did! you are on Vacation...no worries wanted

Can't tell you how many times I watched our ship sail out of Port.. w people running to the ship, waving arms, screaming... :D

people pay thousands of dollars for vacation but will not spend less than $150.00 for a passport ( go figure ).

The bottom line....

period..

What SERIOUS problems? You would be delayed until arrangements were made to get home. People make it sound like they're traveling behind the Iron Curtain. You're traveling in the Caribbean to tourist locations. Millions of people travel on closed loop cruises every year with something other than a passport and have no issues at all.

people pay thousands of dollars for vacation but will not spend less than $150.00 for a passport ( go figure ).

I've already explained this in post 16. Everyone is not like you and everyone's travel needs are different than yours.

I've already explained this in post 16. Everyone is not like you and everyone's travel needs are different than yours.

I guess i am one that cannot be convinced that a passport is not needed when traveling, i agree everyone"s travel needs are different than mine so all i can do is give my opinion

• 11 months later...

I can just say, if you are grown, be a grown up and buy a passport. Things you never imagine can happen. I had a friend who had a family member die on a shore excursion. The family members didn't have passports and ended up having to board the ship and leave their loved one's body in a foreign country. This is nothing you would want to deal with, much less have it happen to you.

If you spend the money for a cruise, get a passport. Think of how much money you spend on silly stuff. A passport isn't that much. A driver's license and birth certificate is almost as worthless as a bubble gum baseball card in a foreign country.

What SERIOUS problems? You would be delayed until arrangements were made to get home. People make it sound like they're traveling behind the Iron Curtain. You're traveling in the Caribbean to tourist locations. Millions of people travel on closed loop cruises every year with something other than a passport and have no issues at all.

Sparks,

With Respect For your Naval Service.....I doubt you have ever tried to Deal with a American Embassy in a Foreign Country....I have Dealt with three or Four in my life the latest being in Nassau in 2015 while I was on a Carnival Cruise...I attempted to assist a American Couple who missed their Royal Carib Cruise...It was not that easy...I have also had many problems with the American Embassy in Mexico City....They and especialy their Private Security Company's they hire are not the nicest people in the World,

I once had to shove my way past their private Security when he blocked my Entrance to the Embassy. asking Stupid Questions and saying I could not enter even though it was during Business Hours, In my hand I had my Passport and a Military ID Card...I talked to other Expats living in Mexico that it will take a Day or Two to get a Replacement Passport...and dealing with the couple in Nassau who had been stuck their for two days ...with the lady breaking down in tears in the British Colonial Hotel which is where I found them(Once a Cop Always a Cop) that you just can't just get a replacement Passport in a hour and a half.

I strongly encourage Everybody to get a Passport!!!

All The Best

Mike

Sparks,

With Respect For your Naval Service.....I doubt you have ever tried to Deal with a American Embassy in a Foreign Country....I have Dealt with three or Four in my life the latest being in Nassau in 2015 while I was on a Carnival Cruise...I attempted to assist a American Couple who missed their Royal Carib Cruise...It was not that easy...I have also had many problems with the American Embassy in Mexico City....They and especialy their Private Security Company's they hire are not the nicest people in the World,

I once had to shove my way past their private Security when he blocked my Entrance to the Embassy. asking Stupid Questions and saying I could not enter even though it was during Business Hours, In my hand I had my Passport and a Military ID Card...I talked to other Expats living in Mexico that it will take a Day or Two to get a Replacement Passport...and dealing with the couple in Nassau who had been stuck their for two days ...with the lady breaking down in tears in the British Colonial Hotel which is where I found them(Once a Cop Always a Cop) that you just can't just get a replacement Passport in a hour and a half.

I strongly encourage Everybody to get a Passport!!!

All The Best

Mike

Well, there is a post on the Royal board where someone was able to get a passport in an hour and a half from the Nassau Embassy (of course that person worked closely with the port agent, who facilitated everything)(and it sounds like the couple that you helped was not in communication with that individual). Yes, there will undoubtedly be hassle involved and this presupposes that a passport to return is even necessary as I read a thread by one poster who had a minor medical issue and had to return home from a Mexican port and after coordinating with the port agent went to the airport. It took them 45 minutes at the airport to find someone who would let them board a plane and then 10 minutes in secondary inspection with CBP when they landed. Granted, every situation is going to be different and it may not always be as easy. I personally planned on up to a 3 day delay in the event something happened. If that kind of delay is unacceptable to someone then yes, they should get a passport. The fact remains that people have a choice and should choose the best travel document that meets their travel needs, their personal risk factors and their comfort level.

Well, there is a post on the Royal board where someone was able to get a passport in an hour and a half from the Nassau Embassy (of course that person worked closely with the port agent, who facilitated everything)(and it sounds like the couple that you helped was not in communication with that individual). Yes, there will undoubtedly be hassle involved and this presupposes that a passport to return is even necessary as I read a thread by one poster who had a minor medical issue and had to return home from a Mexican port and after coordinating with the port agent went to the airport. It took them 45 minutes at the airport to find someone who would let them board a plane and then 10 minutes in secondary inspection with CBP when they landed. Granted, every situation is going to be different and it may not always be as easy. I personally planned on up to a 3 day delay in the event something happened. If that kind of delay is unacceptable to someone then yes, they should get a passport. The fact remains that people have a choice and should choose the best travel document that meets their travel needs, their personal risk factors and their comfort level.

Yes your Right, Every situation is Different, and people have a choice, I just have a feeling and you might agree that in the next 5-7 years ,Anybody that leaves the USA will be required to have a Passport book or Card, but that is in the Future.

All The Best

Mike

Yes your Right, Every situation is Different, and people have a choice, I just have a feeling and you might agree that in the next 5-7 years ,Anybody that leaves the USA will be required to have a Passport book or Card, but that is in the Future.

All The Best

Mike

That's the requirement now, with 12 exceptions of which the closed loop exception is one:). When DHS wrote the regulations they determined that a US citizen on a closed loop cruise poses a low risk to the National Security and until and unless something happens to change that determination I don't see the regulations changing. And if it does change in 5 to 7 years than those who are traveling with birth certificates will have plenty of time to get what they need.

It's been my experience over the years that cruising Carnival out of San Juan is the one port where the alcohol rules are bent in the passenger's favor. So many other places are strict, and I worried that maybe times have changed, but apparently not.

I fondly remember the days when our cabin resembled a well-stocked bar. :p

Probably not going to need that rum runner at all!

• 6 months later...
We just got off this cruise yesterday. Carnival states that each passenger at the San Juan port can bring one bottle of wine onboard on embarkation day. Since you can come and go as often as you'd like in San Juan (Back on board time was 8:30 pm) you can bring a bottle each time you come back on! They never looked inside my bag to see what was in the bottle so I suppose it could have been a bottle of liquor, although they may look at bottle shapes, it passed through the screening machine and off I went. At the ports of call it's different. I saw a few people have to turn in their bottles for pick up on debarkation day. I think the best way to get liquor on board is to buy small bottles and put them in your pocket when you walk on.

It's true that you don't need a passport in the ports of call. You will need to fill out a customs form upon return.

I've been looking for this answer, although it's year old info. I was wondering about taking the 1st bottle on, then leaving and bringing another one on later. Between my wife and I, we could potentially bring 4+ bottles on? Now, if only I could get bring beer onboard :beer-mug::beer-mug::beer-mug::beer-mug: