Ten Years From Now...... HAL

sail7seas

What do you think HAL will be like a mere ten years from now?

I expect there will be fewer than 15 ships in the fleet.

I expect Lido buffet will be the only food included in the fare.

I expect there will no longer be World Cruise.

What do you think?

I think it will be non-smoking (don't get mad at me)

I think prices will decline to about half of what they are at today's dollars.

I think laws will change to allow Cruises exclusive to US ports (up and down the East Coast as an example) to address fuel costs

I think they'll name a new ship the MS Sail7SeasDam

I think they'll have their first female captain... but she'll get into a crash or get lost in her first month.

Edited by ASIWISH

I think you're way off. (At least on the food and world itineraries) I know the reason I keep booking HAL IS the itineraries. Take away that "niche" and you loose a huge part of their repeat clientele. And there is NO way any of the mass market lines would ever be able to cut the MDR... Cut and trim elsewhere, sure. But nothing as drastic as that.

PS: JUST booked an Australia/New Zealand trip today on HAL. Why? 100% because of the itinerary. (An "A to B" trip with 8 ports in between. NO ONE else offered as much at even double the cost... NO ONE.

Edited by FredT

I think you're way off. (At least on the food and world itineraries) I know the reason I keep booking HAL IS the itineraries. Take away that "niche" and you loose a huge part of their repeat clientele. And there is NO way any of the mass market lines would ever be able to cut the MDR... Cut and trim elsewhere, sure. But nothing as drastic as that.

PS: JUST booked an Australia/New Zealand trip today on HAL. Why? 100% because of the itinerary. (An "A to B" trip with 8 ports in between. NO ONE else offered as much at even double the cost... NO ONE.

I agree with you 100%

I think HAL has to decide what it is going to do FAST

2 small ships are gone.

Both the Maasdam and Volendam days are numbered.

The Prinsendam will most likely be gone within 5 years if not sooner sadly.

If those ships are replaced by the bigger ones (which seems to be the trend) I don't see as many interesting itineraries on the horizon. Their ships they are left with will limit things especially with world itineraries as everyone can't do itineraries that long.

HAL really needs to figure out what it is going to do, Caribbean, Alaska and Panama cruises or different itineraries that people are willing to pay for.

Only time will tell, but if they go the way of the 'blah' itineraries with the bigger ships, I fear they will fall in with the mix and will no longer have the repeat passengers that they have in the past.

I don't foresee the HAL that I love, but we won't know until HAL decides if it is going to be HAL with it's intriguing itineraries or just another one of many cruise lines that do the same thing..

Being the eternal optimist, I think they'll still focus on interesting itineraries. That's their strength. I suppose that, little by little, the S and R class ships will disappear. I think the Prinsendam will be around a while though.

Although, I must say, I was surprised to hear they're transferring Ryndam to P & O. We enjoyed that ship a lot. And it's in good shape. I would have thought they'd get rid of Veendam and/or Rotterdam.

It wouldn't make sense to just serve food in the Lido. For starters, I don't think it could accommodate everyone at dinner. And, what would they use the MDR for if not dining?

I think HAL has to decide what it is going to do FAST

2 small ships are gone.

Both the Maasdam and Volendam days are numbered.

The Prinsendam will most likely be gone within 5 years if not sooner sadly.

If those ships are replaced by the bigger ones (which seems to be the trend) I don't see as many interesting itineraries on the horizon. Their ships they are left with will limit things especially with world itineraries as everyone can't do itineraries that long.

HAL really needs to figure out what it is going to do, Caribbean, Alaska and Panama cruises or different itineraries that people are willing to pay for.

Only time will tell, but if they go the way of the 'blah' itineraries with the bigger ships, I fear they will fall in with the mix and will no longer have the repeat passengers that they have in the past.

I don't foresee the HAL that I love, but we won't know until HAL decides if it is going to be HAL with it's intriguing itineraries or just another one of many cruise lines that do the same thing..

Some interesting comments.

I wonder why you think Volendam would leave the fleet before Veendam or Rotterdam or even Zaandam?

Amsterdam is the World Cruiser so likely as long as there is WC, she may stay longer. ???

And, what would they use the MDR for if not dining?

It sounds like Sail is suggesting that the MDR room would be a fee-based venue and not part of the meal plan.

... but I'm not certain about that.

Edited by ASIWISH

Personal opinion only:

All four "S" class ships (SADM, MADM, RYDM & VEDM) gone/elsewhere

Two of the four "R" class ships (RTDM & VODM) gone/elsewhere

The Elegant Explorer (PRDM) gone/elsewhere

Other ships:

Two "R" class (AMDM & ZADM with AMDM having taken over the role and itineraries of PRDM

Four Vistas (ZUDM, OSDM, WEDM & NODM)

Two Signatures (EUDM & NADM)

Three Pinnacles (SADM, MADM & RYDM)

Some interesting comments.

I wonder why you think Volendam would leave the fleet before Veendam or Rotterdam or even Zaandam?

Amsterdam is the World Cruiser so likely as long as there is WC, she may stay longer. ???

I don't think they can give the Veendam away ;)

they have already decimated that class so I am just guessing the rest are going.

Amsterdam will be around but by lack of ships they can't offer the same number of interesting itineraries when the other ships go.

What ship will replace the Prinsendam itineraries? The Maasdam 42/44 Atlantic Adventure?, the Volendam's Far East discoveries, etc.

There just won't be enough left to do it all IMO.

I don't know - just voicing an opinon - certainly time will tell

It sounds like Sail is suggesting that the MDR room would be a fee-based venue and not part of the meal plan.

... but I'm not certain about that.

Exactly. I think there would be two (or more) fee-based dining venues created in the space of both levels of MDR. I'm not sure I hate that idea entirely. Depending upon pricing etc, the variety might be appealing.

Personal opinion only:

Other ships:

Two "R" class (AMDM & ZADM with AMDM having taken over the role and itineraries of PRDM

:) Sure makes sense.

I can see that as possible.

I am disappointed that the decision has been made to add Lanai staterooms to the Volendam and Zaandam. That reduces the appeal of those ships to me.

Enhancement of the late Fall/Winter/early Spring itineraries simply must be made. Beautiful, well equipped ships with public facilities that invite guests to enjoy them on longer itineraries, why are these opportunities ignored? I have thought from the beginning upon the Signature Class ships introduction that it was a "crime" that they were restricted to the most mundane 7 day itineraries.

Grand World Voyages will contine, I hope. Also, Grand Voyages for other destinations as well would be welcome. But, HAL, please note: all of the "stuff" one gets as a result of these cruises is not welcome nor wanted at this stage of my life. I am at the "getting rid of stuff" stage not accumulating more "stuff"! And, my gosh, the price for the cruise could be reduced and you might end up with a full ship from X to X, without lots of segment reduced prices! And, I think maybe some additional creative thinking might lead to some itineraries not yet considered.

the new Viking Ocean ship , which is 930 pax - all verandahs - and the 2 new soon-to-be additions to that ocean fleet will take over the market that HAL held with the R and S class ships.

Carol

Being about 48,000 ton it is not that much smaller than "S" Class ships..... I think they are about 55,000 tons and carry apprx 1,250 guests.

Whether Viking Star and her sisters will take over that 'market' remains to be seen. Price, of course, will be one factor but so many others including itineraries, length of cruises, embarkation ports etc Can't forget Azamara and Oceania.

Edited by sail7seas

Being about 48,000 ton it is not that much smaller than "S" Class ships..... I think they are about 55,000 tons and carry apprx 1,250 guests.

Whether Viking Star and her sisters will take over that 'market' remains to be seen. Price, of course, will be one factor but so many others including itineraries, length of cruises, embarkation ports etc Can't forget Azamara and Oceania.

I got the figure 930 passengers from the website and also their press release regarding their new 2016 itineraries and "tripling" their fleet by adding 2 new ships. All articles I have read state "less than 1,000 " pax.

Carol

the new Viking Ocean ship , which is 930 pax - all verandahs - and the 2 new soon-to-be additions to that ocean fleet will take over the market that HAL held with the R and S class ships.

Carol

Viking would really have to prove itself to me after seeing how their river cruise passengers were treated last summer when the rivers flooded and they just about told them that they did not care about them. I would be very hesitant to sail with this company after reading some of those horror stories.

The test of good customer service is how a company reacts when things are not going smoothly.

Terri

I got the figure 930 passengers from the website and also their press release regarding their new 2016 itineraries and "tripling" their fleet by adding 2 new ships. All articles I have read state "less than 1,000 " pax.

Carol

Yes, those are the numbers I also saw on Viking web site as pertain to Viking Star and her (to be) sisters.

When I wrote 'they', I was referencing HAL's "S" Class ships as being 55,000 ton and about 1,250 guests.

The way I posted was, indeed, unclear.

Edited by sail7seas

Personal opinion only:

Other ships:

I think you might be on to something, John

Edited by Himself

Yes, those are the numbers I also saw on Viking web site as pertain to Viking Star and her (to be) sisters.

When I wrote 'they', I was referencing HAL's "S" Class ships as being 55,000 ton and about 1,250 guests.

The way I posted was, indeed, unclear.

no problem, I reread the post, and then figured that is probably what you meant and what I was supposed to have understood! :o

Carol

When are the Pinnacle ships expected to be built? Are you guessing what the names will be or have they been published?

I think there might be a fee for eating in the MDR. Already some cruise lines have extra fees in the MDR for certain food choices.

Perhaps there would be restrictions on how much could be ordered without incurring an additional fee.

Edited by Susie51

In ten years...

A Woman will be the head of Carnival Corp after Mickey is overthrown.

HAL and other leading cruise lines will bump the age to receive Senior discounts to 80.

HAL will have 100 star mariners

They will make half their ships adult only, and become The Worlds most popular Cruise Lines.

A new popular addition to the ships activities with be a special deck for scooter / hoveround races. They will have better wheelchair parking in the hall.

Stein Kruse will also be the head of Seabourn, and will build the New Prinsendam much more beautiful than the Seabourn Quest (oh, wait a sec... Stein Kruse is the head of Seabourn already. Silly me:o.

There will be a new Program "I wish I could stay forever" and you can sign on to jump back and forth on cruise ships for years, and never have to go home.

They will offer limited and very expensive bookings to stay on half moon Cay for a week.

Okay, so most of this is tongue in cheek. I hope some fresh thinking will be able to retain the best of the charm on Holland America Ships.

:DAC

RKA cruiser,

In response to your comment about decreasing the "stuff", I think they may be onto that. (I too moan with many of the Grand gifts, although some I really like.) In the most recent booklet we received from HAL (within the past few weeks) they have some stellar (in my opinion) long cruises (like 40 - 80 days) with wonderful ports, a number of which are not commonly used. From an itinerary perspective they are "grand", but not classified as such, nor priced like an historical "Grand Cruise". I found a number I would like to go on today! For these cruises I am sure that many of the extras besides the "gifts" from Grand Cruises will go away, but I find their longer cruises without such perks totally satisfactory - like the Voyage of the Vikings and the Circle South America cruises I have taken, which were not classified as Grand. And - they are certainly less expensive than the Grand Voyages. Just my thoughts.

Edited by wander