Anyone else just case where the ship starts from and goes to, but not the stops?

Yep,,,,quite a few times. We have often used Repo cruises as a way to get to or from Europe, where we spend several weeks (or longer) doing driving trips. We will often just choose a cruise based on the timing and price. For instance, we will generally not take a cruise that gets us to Europe on a Sunday since that is a tricky day when it comes to getting our rental car. Next month we are taking a long cruise (about 5 weeks long) as the means to get to New Zealand, where we have wanted to return so we can spend some time driving South Island. Our primary reason for the cruise was to get us across the Pacific...but we are certainly looking forward to the cruise itself.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

We've taken a lot of Caribbean cruises. The islands don't make much difference for us. Sometimes we stay on the ship and enjoy the peace and quiet while most of the other passengers are off doing excursions.

Yes - we travel to Europe in the Fall (by air) and come home on a re-positioning T/A. Rome - Ft. Lauderdale on HAL, Southampton - New York on Cunard, Rome-Galveston on Royal Caribbean, Harwich-Miami on Celebrity, and this November Rome-Ft. Lauderdale on HAL. A relaxing and reasonably priced way to travel.

Pretty often

With ones I've done now I'll book a cruise not even knowing where it goes just where it starts and finishes and when

Check enough re visas at booking then don't worry

Our cruises here I'll book without looking at all

I'll get on and day three might try find out where we are going

It's the asventure

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My favorite all time cruise complaint was written by an elderly passenger;

"If I had known where this cruise was going, I never would have booked it."

LOL! We resemble that remark! Sometimes it just does not matter :)

Hank:D

Hlitner, you are my travel inspiration :).

Same here! Wish I knew you personally so you could plan all my trips. :)

I would imagine your family and friends all consult with you for advice.

You should definitely consider writing a travel blog.

Same here! Wish I knew you personally so you could plan all my trips. :)

I would imagine your family and friends all consult with you for advice.

You should definitely consider writing a travel blog.

LOL - me too! I can't wait until we're retired and can do the TA combo with land travel that Hank does - in my mind I think of it as pulling a "Hank"!

We prefer not to fly, so we generally only take cruises that leave from our homeport, even though it means repeating ships or itineraries multiple times.

Same here ! We will not fly .

We prefer to start or end a cruise with our home port . :D

I also like to take extended vacations if I have to drive far .

After a 14 day repo cruise ending in Tampa we did 5 nights stay in the Florida keys before driving 1700 miles back to Boston in our one week one way car rental . :D

We've taken a lot of Caribbean cruises. The islands don't make much difference for us. Sometimes we stay on the ship and enjoy the peace and quiet while most of the other passengers are off doing excursions.

Same here! I think we've been to every Caribbean island cruise ships stop at so ports aren't important to us.

Marianne

Since we live in Florida, we use the ship as a resort while in the Caribbean. For overseas travel it is the only civilized way to go. But is not the best way to see Europe.

My favorite all time cruise complaint was written by an elderly passenger;

"If I had known where this cruise was going, I never would have booked it."

My personal favorite was a Caribbean loop out of New York. One passenger used every public venue to complain that "nobody told him" there were three sea days between New York and St. Thomas, V.I.

We've taken two and have one planned in October.

It's a great way to return from Europe after a hectic few weeks in Europe. We took the first transatlantic cruises on the Carnival Breeze and Dream which were built in Italy. The first we took was only $649 per person for a 13 day cruise! The costs was just a little more than the difference between round trip airfare and the higher cost one way.

I can't say that this year, when airfares are sky high, but it's still a good deal. We leave Barcelona on the RC Liberty of the Seas , have a few stops in Spain and the Canary Islands, then six days crossing the Atlantic. My husband likes that every day or so you you pick up that hour you lost flying over. We get home rested and relaxed.

Naturally, this works best for retired people with plenty of time. No fancy show every night; they do always have entertainment, but sometimes it's a magician, maybe just a singer or classical musician etc. We'll be gone for six weeks all together.

All of my cruises (so far) have been to the Caribbean and I'm not terribly choosy on the ports of call.

That being said, if I have a choice between a cruise that goes to Jamaica vs one that doesn't, I will opt for the one that doesn't.

Scuba diving in Jamaica is dreadful and diving is a major draw for me.