Does it pay to be friendly with other passengers?

barante

Defiantly! We met our cruise buddies in 2006 on Princess. We were tablemates. We have cruised together every year, including B2Bs, since then. Three times they have driven to our house on the NC coast from their house in Flint MI. Then we drive to the ship together.

We have seen people we have met on a ship at their homes in Clearwater, FL, Lancaster, PA, and even Winsor, Ontario, Canada. We have also emailed each other and once we met a couple from Gig Harbor, WA. I called them when we were going on the same ship again and we picked them up in the Costco parking lot in West Palm Beach FL, after they flew there, and we drove to the ship together.

WE have also met a couple again we had met on another cruise an another ship. We met Al in an elevator on a ship and have bumped into him on 3 more cruises, different ships.

So, yes it does pay to be friendly!

We were friendly to a lady on the Copenhagen metro in the morning on the way to the castle we were seeing first. That evening we go to an Art Museum and the lady who took our Copenhagen card said, "Wow, you must have had a long day.". The lady on the metro was the Art Museum attendant. We got to stay a little later after closing.

Edited by tetleytea

Thats the name of the game for Me!

To meet new people , Learn about different customs, and to see all the new places in the world a ship will take me to. :D:D

After all, we are here for a good time , Not a long time.

Edited by biker@sea

IN 2016 we'r taking the 27th "Annual Friends and Family Annual Winter Caribbean Cruise". Most of the folks are those who we met 27 years ago and have been cruising together every winter since. We've visited back and forth with all of them. Shared good times/sad times and have become close friends.

At the risk of boring everybody who's already heard the story, I'll be brief :p.

Single gal from Seattle meets single guy from Wyoming on a Caribbean cruise in 2006. Six months later guy moves to Seattle and they marry exactly one year to the date they met - barefoot on the beach at sunset (at an all-inclusive in Negril, Jamaica). And so far live happily ever after.

Although he did bring his dog with him, and until then, I hated dogs (was attacked by a dog when I was about 2). I fell in love with the dog too and now I love dogs. But we just lost her about 3 weeks ago so now we're sad.

We no longer cruise because we got an RV and prefer to vacation that way. But some day we'll go back to cruising. He likes it more than I do.

We still have alot of friends we met cruising. In fact, we had a reunion cruise in 2012 with alot of the people from around the world who were on the 2006 cruise and witnessed us meeting and watched our romance blossom.

At the risk of boring everybody who's already heard the story, I'll be brief :p.

Single gal from Seattle meets single guy from Wyoming on a Caribbean cruise in 2006. Six months later guy moves to Seattle and they marry exactly one year to the date they met - barefoot on the beach at sunset (at an all-inclusive in Negril, Jamaica). And so far live happily ever after.

Although he did bring his dog with him, and until then, I hated dogs (was attacked by a dog when I was about 2). I fell in love with the dog too and now I love dogs. But we just lost her about 3 weeks ago so now we're sad.

We no longer cruise because we got an RV and prefer to vacation that way. But some day we'll go back to cruising. He likes it more than I do.

We still have alot of friends we met cruising. In fact, we had a reunion cruise in 2012 with alot of the people from around the world who were on the 2006 cruise and witnessed us meeting and watched our romance blossom.

Excellent story! Congratulations.:):)

Thanks for sharing! I always like the rest of the story.

Wishing you many years of love and laughter. 😃

I think the more precise theme is whether you are comfortable knowing you don't know who you are being friends with, and they may be criminal.

I reach out to meet and chat with any and all on a cruise. But my antenna is always out and sometimes I decide to avoid some. Regardless, social interaction is one of the pleasures of cruising to me.

Totally agree with cruznjan. This is an odd question to begin with.

Be friendly and polite, have fun and if a long term, true friendship blossoms, that is great. Just don't expect it or force it. And, be somewhat cautious if a fellow cruiser wants to do everything with you. You don't have an obligation to be their buddy. Most cruisers are wanting time to relax and spend precious time with their ones. But, always demonstrate respect and kindness.

Edited by Donder1

I love your story.

We have met and made friends with many wonderful people over the years we have been cruising. Some we have hosted in our homes, and we've been guests in theirs; even though we are thousands of miles apart, we formed a friendship that just seemed like destiny. There are 2 couples we met on our millennium cruise (1999-2000) who are just like family to us.

There's nothing nicer than receiving an email from a friend you've made while cruising to have them say "we know you are booked on XYZ ship, and we want to join you."

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)