After dinner clothes

MM051510

With us, it just depends. We usually stay dressed up for dinner and a show afterwards/before, if we are going, or for just walking around, listening to music, etc. We don't dance or go to the clubs, so can't comment on that. I may change out of my heels if they are bothering me.

After that, we often go to MUTS around 10 so we do change into comfy clothes for that.

For us, it depends. If we are going to the show, or to a lounge or other entertainment venue, we will stay dressed up. If we are just hanging out, walking on the outdoor deck, sitting outside, etc, we will change into something more confortable.

My DH and I are going on our first cruise in 14 days!! (Eeek!) I'm curious to know what everyone does after dinner (casual and formal nights). Do you stay in your dress all night until you retire to your room? Do you wear your dress for dinner then change into something comfortable? Do you wear your dress then change into another cute outfit?

I plan on living in gym shorts/tshirts during the day. Do I need to pack more "cutsie" outfits for the evenings??

It depends upon the dress code of the cruiseline your're on. Some lines such as Cunard, Holland America, Celebrity might be stricter about formal night, ad ask that you remain dressed up for the entire evening. Ncl has dress up or not night. Royal Caribbean has Formal Night, with a suggested dress code--- Formal wear not really required. Most say no shorts in MDRs at dinnertime.

Many people do change after dinner, but my husband and I tend to remain in dressy clothes until we return to the cabin for bed.

Ncl has dress up or not night. Royal Caribbean has Formal Night, with a suggested dress code--- Formal wear not really required. Most say no shorts in MDRs at dinnertime..

You left out Carnival. It has an Elegant Night. The minimum requirement is pretty much business casual: slacks and a dress shirt for men, and the equivalent for women (don't know what exactly, sorry). It only applies to the MDR, although I've seen people dressed up for that night's theater show, since it's right before or after dinner seatings. Other than that, most people "slip into something more comfortable" shortly after dinner.

I do the same. I like the dressy atmosphere of the MDR, as artificial as it may be, but I also don't want to mess up my good clothes and shoes. Which can happen pretty easily while tearing up the dance floor in the nightclub or wandering around the outside decks.

• 1 month later...

We're obviously in the minority on this one because we change into something casual after dinner. We usually stay up late after dinner because we go to the show, listen to the various live bands, and go to hear the late night comedians. Some people really get upset with those of us who change clothes immediately after dinner, but hey - it's MY vacation! I have to dress up every day for my job, so I dress down on vacation as much as possible. Do whatever YOU feel comfortable doing and enjoy your cruise!

I wouldn't get mad at anyone for deciding to change, I just don't understand it (unless it's to change out of heels or remove an uncomfortable tie). It seems to me to be more of a hassle to change clothes then anything else.

We tend to cruise with lines like Seabourn or Windstar where the stated dress code is considered anytime after six o'clock. Again, I love to dress up, but I know not everyone does.

I wouldn't get mad at anyone for deciding to change, I just don't understand it (unless it's to change out of heels or remove an uncomfortable tie). It seems to me to be more of a hassle to change clothes then anything else.

I think part of my reason is getting out of the heels AND the fact that I'm so stuffed after dinner that I'm ready to get into my stretchy pants! :)

We tend to cruise with lines like Seabourn or Windstar where the stated dress code is considered anytime after six o'clock. Again, I love to dress up, but I know not everyone does.

We spend a LOT of time on deck. After a couple of "incidents" :eek: with skirts in the wind, it is just much more "seemly" to change into less-formal clothing after dinner :D

My DH and I are going on our first cruise in 14 days!! (Eeek!) I'm curious to know what everyone does after dinner (casual and formal nights). Do you stay in your dress all night until you retire to your room? Do you wear your dress for dinner then change into something comfortable? Do you wear your dress then change into another cute outfit?

I plan on living in gym shorts/tshirts during the day. Do I need to pack more "cutsie" outfits for the evenings??

I would think you might want to pack differently for the day as well. Gym shorts and t-shirts will be very under dressed around the ship--unless you are in the gym. They are totally inappropriate for dinner.

Whatever we wear to dinner is what stays on us until we go to bed.

Edited by ducklite

I understand changing out of shoes that have become uncomfortable. Why do they always feel good in the store?:D Anyway, what clothes are people wearing, to begin with, that are uncomfortable and it becomes necessary to change ?:confused:

I understand changing out of shoes that have become uncomfortable. Why do they always feel good in the store?:D Anyway, what clothes are people wearing, to begin with, that are uncomfortable and it becomes necessary to change ?:confused:

This goes more for men than for women. Women's dressy outfits are usually light, soft, and comfortable (this doesn't apply to full-length gowns and such). Men's dressy outfits are quite thick and cumbersome. Compare, for example, a nice cocktail dress to a nice suit. A cocktail dress sits nicely on the body, based on what I can imagine from seeing someone wearing it (I'm a guy). A suit, let alone a tuxedo, is thick and restrictive, and that goes double for certain fabrics. Yes, it's worth wearing for the elegance factor, as well as for your spouse's sake, but as the evening goes on, the discomfort factor increases. It's hard to dance anything faster than waltz in a suit; otherwise, it's like wearing a sauna. A cocktail dress, by contrast, looks far less restrictive of movement and provides more ventilation, because it covers less of the body.

Shoes are a complete 180 of that, apparently. Men's dress shoes are almost completely flat, and conform to the shape of the feet. Unless they're brand new, they can sit comfortably on the foot for some hours. I've seen women's dress shoes that are just painful to look at :). I can't comment on walking in high heels, but props for putting up with wearing them.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

I would think you might want to pack differently for the day as well. Gym shorts and t-shirts will be very under dressed around the ship--unless you are in the gym. They are totally inappropriate for dinner.

Whatever we wear to dinner is what stays on us until we go to bed.

I was thinking the very same thing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

This goes more for men than for women. Women's dressy outfits are usually light, soft, and comfortable (this doesn't apply to full-length gowns and such). Men's dressy outfits are quite thick and cumbersome. Compare, for example, a nice cocktail dress to a nice suit. A cocktail dress sits nicely on the body, based on what I can imagine from seeing someone wearing it (I'm a guy). A suit, let alone a tuxedo, is thick and restrictive, and that goes double for certain fabrics. Yes, it's worth wearing for the elegance factor, as well as for your spouse's sake, but as the evening goes on, the discomfort factor increases. It's hard to dance anything faster than waltz in a suit; otherwise, it's like wearing a sauna. A cocktail dress, by contrast, looks far less restrictive of movement and provides more ventilation, because it covers less of the body.

Shoes are a complete 180 of that, apparently. Men's dress shoes are almost completely flat, and conform to the shape of the feet. Unless they're brand new, they can sit comfortably on the foot for some hours. I've seen women's dress shoes that are just painful to look at :). I can't comment on walking in high heels, but props for putting up with wearing them.

That is true. My DH feel too hot in his tux after a while. Some time now he will take off the jacket after dinner and just were the rest of the outfit with the tux vest. Other time he will change in to a pair of dark dress pants and a long sleeve white dress shirt.

It really depends what cruiseline you're on. From what I've seen on Carnival and Royal Caribbean plenty of people change into comfy clothes after dinner, or never changed into "fancy" clothes to begin with. And gym shorts and T-shirts for daytime would also be fine. Also, some people change right after dinner so they can wear that outfit again another night. Saves on packing, if you're comfortable with that idea. Some are, some aren't.

Yes, it depends on which cruise line and where you are going.

I sailed on Cunard and their evening dress codes were in effect for all public areas of the ship other than the buffet, were in effect all evening, and their evening dress codes were either formal or informal.

I am sailing on Princess next week and we will dress for all dinners. We will wear those clothes all evening.