Luggage Scale

Bristol5

We've used a Travelon successfully. They are available through Amazon. Click Here.

It's analog (no battery to worry about) and has a red hand so one person can weigh and check the reading. It has shown to be accurate to within a pound of the airport scales.

Happy Travels,

Charlie

We've used a Travelon successfully. They are available through Amazon. Click Here.

It's analog (no battery to worry about) and has a red hand so one person can weigh and check the reading. It has shown to be accurate to within a pound of the airport scales.

Happy Travels,

Charlie

Thank you, very much! Will check it out.

I would suggest you use a digital scale. The reason I like the digital over analog is from my experiences with an analog scale is if you don't pick up your suitcase perfectly level or if you jerk it at all while weighting the dial that show the weight can be a higher number than the actually weight. With a digital scale once the load is stable you will hear a beep and that number stays on when you put the bag down so you can easily read it. The digital scale is much more accurate than the analog scale I used to have. There are many choices take a look at Amazon and read some of the reviews.

Shak

I use to work with the Weight & Measures office of my state and have a major problem with airport scales. To my understanding they are not required to have them calibrated.

On two recent trips, I have weighed our luggage at home prior to leaving home. Once with our digital luggage scale and again with our digital bath scales which has been within less than 1/2 lb of our doctor's scales.

Upon arrival at the airport was told we were over weight by 4-7 lbs. :eek: At home, we were several pounds under the limit.

I am not about to pay these bandits anything and have either shifted weight or have left items in our car prior to boarding. No point in arguing with them only to have problems with TSA. :mad:

Unfortunately, I have never thought to discuss this with the proper authority. :confused:

Any ideas?

Unfortunately, I have never thought to discuss this with the proper authority. :confused:

Any ideas?

Steve

Like you I never thought about the airport scales being checked. It would seem that they should be since the airlines are actually selling a product (space on the flight) based on their measure.

Locally I would think that the city/county authority (in our case the county auditor) that certifies and seals the scales at the grocery, the gas pumps, etc. would be the place to start.

Ask them why the airlines can charge based on an uncertified weight.

Charlie

We use this scale which is available on Amazon.Com

EatSmart Precision Voyager Digital Luggage Scale w/ 110 lb. Capacity & SmartGrip

If 50 lbs is the limit we always aim for 48.5 and that is because of the differences between a scale and the one that the airline uses. Yours could be off slightly and theirs can be too.

Keith

We also use the Balanzza scale, but it's so bulky, we don't pack it.... coming home is always more difficult for us because of our purchases along the way.

416lnXuKbJL._AA160_.jpg

I just found this Travelon micro digital scale at TJMAXX for 12.99 (around $20 on Amazon). It weighs 5 oz, so we can take it with us. :)

Edited by 5326jan

• 10 months later...

I had a cheap one from Kmart that broke when i used it on the ship a) get what you pay for b) way over weight lol. Fixed it at the airport wear there were scales and a sorting area

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Forums mobile app

Steve

Like you I never thought about the airport scales being checked. It would seem that they should be since the airlines are actually selling a product (space on the flight) based on their measure.

Locally I would think that the city/county authority (in our case the county auditor) that certifies and seals the scales at the grocery, the gas pumps, etc. would be the place to start.

Ask them why the airlines can charge based on an uncertified weight.

Charlie

Even though they are not calibrated I always note the starting weight of the airline's digital scale. If it starts at 1.50 then I know that I can go up to 51.50 ;).

I think they're worried about the repacking...you can weigh your luggage at home without a "luggage" scale...just weigh yourself, then pick up your suitcase, and hop on the scale! You can do that on the ship, too...in the gym...they will have a scale!

Even though they are not calibrated I always note the starting weight of the airline's digital scale. If it starts at 1.50 then I know that I can go up to 51.50 ;).

If a scale is digital (as are all at the airports), it's not that difficult to program it to add a percentage of the actual wieght to the displayed weight. i.e. - with a 2.0 % adjustment, the airport scale reads "00.00" empty, but registers 50 pounds as 51 pounds.

Conversely, your scale at home is not necessarily calibrated, and could also be the one that's off . . .

Now, do I think the airliines are conciously doing this (adjusting scales in their favor? No. The stink that would arise would potentially be so financialil devestating to the culprit that senior executives would be fired.

Edited by Calgon1

Also have a digital scale that I must use and TAKE with me so i can weigh luggage on the way home and 'redistribute' as required.

Agree that the digital one is more useful - esp if travelling alone as you can lift it - wait for the beep, put it down and THEN look at the screen for the weight - mine also does lbs or kgs.

I have the Balanzza which I bought at Bed, Bath, and Beyond with a $5 off coupon (so it was only $15). For the metrically challenged (which I am), you can weigh in pounds or kilos.

12311114704795p.jpg

I have one from Bed, Bath and Beyond that I keep in my carryon. I have found it very reliable.

If a scale is digital (as are all at the airports), it's not that difficult to program it to add a percentage of the actual wieght to the displayed weight. i.e. - with a 2.0 % adjustment, the airport scale reads "00.00" empty, but registers 50 pounds as 51 pounds.

Conversely, your scale at home is not necessarily calibrated, and could also be the one that's off . . .

Now, do I think the airliines are conciously doing this (adjusting scales in their favor? No. The stink that would arise would potentially be so financialil devestating to the culprit that senior executives would be fired.

Never thought about the nefarious changing the programming on a scale but I'm sure it has happened somewhere.

Have run into (programming) calculating problems with TI calculators and found my HP to be more accurate. TI uses the visible rounded numbers for calcs and HP uses the complete number. Hopefully TI's changed it's programming. Difference can be a very large statistical error.

FWIW we have several digital luggage scales and they've been accurate to the airport scale every time.

In my reading the scales are monitored by the state. Most only require the scales to be checked once a year. In contrast at my manufacturing plant we check our scales each shift. With the heavy traffic of use of these scales it is no wonder to me that scales could be off. Here are a couple articles on the subject.

http://www.kpho.com/story/23882125/airport-luggage-scales-put-to-the-test

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/george-hobica/ask-airfarewatchodg-do-ai_b_1455847.html

Shak

Digital travel scales are not expensive and if going to pack near the limit I believe it is a good idea to purchase one. Yes you could drag your luggage up to the gym but what a pain that would be. I have a Travelon Micro Scale and I found it at Red Tag price of $5 at T J Maxx. Those that shop their know about Red Tag items I am sure.

When packing at home I check the weight of my luggage with the digital scale and then take it over to home scale to check accuracy. So far my digital scale is pretty close to my home scale. I also pack at least 2 pounds less just in case.

Shak

I also got my lightweight, portable scale at TJ Maxx. It works great. Over the last few years I find that the difference between what my suitcase weights at home and at the airport is usually a difference of between 1 and two lbs. Mine weighing at home 48 and theirs weighing in at 50. So, I always pack my suitcase so that it weights (by my scale) 45 lbs. It's worked like a charm every time.

Funny story, a couple of years ago I was going to the airport during the day to pick up the DS's friend who was coming to CA to visit and travel with us. Since at the time he was only 17, I was in line at the ticket counter waiting to ask if I could get a pass to wait for the kid at the arrival gate (I eventually got the okay). Meantime, there was only two people at the ticket counter when I walked up to it. It was Ice T and his wife Coco. He had had to buy a nylon duffle bag from the airline because Coco's shoe's had taken her suitcase over the 50 lb. limit. She was in the process of taking shoes from her suitcase and stuffing them into the new airline duffel bag. Meanwhile, I got to speaking with Ice T and Coco and they were just the nicest people. People kept coming up to them and asking to have pictures taken with them...they refused no one. We even laughed because one guy asked if he could take his picture with Ice T and then after asked Ice T who he was.:eek: They were such a charming couple and very generous with their time. They even introduced me to their new puppy (at the time) Spartacus, who was just adorable. So, even VIPs can't get their over 50 lb., luggage through check-in.

• 1 month later...
I use to work with the Weight & Measures office of my state and have a major problem with airport scales. To my understanding they are not required to have them calibrated.

As already posted, they are required by law to be calibrated, at least once a year.

No point in arguing with them only to have problems with TSA.

You can have have a discussion without arguing. And if you made a scene, I don't think TSA would become involved. They would call airport security or the police.

Any ideas?

I honestly don't know what gets packed to have a bag weigh even close to 50 pounds. Maybe try leaving some things at home? Wear your heaviest shoes and coat on the plane? Get a Kindle and don't pack books? Don't bring extra hangers, a hand held luggage scale, over the door shoe rack or all the other many "must haves" I see posted here (not saying you bring these).

As already posted, they are required by law to be calibrated, at least once a year.

You can have have a discussion without arguing. And if you made a scene, I don't think TSA would become involved. They would call airport security or the police.

I honestly don't know what gets packed to have a bag weigh even close to 50 pounds. Maybe try leaving some things at home? Wear your heaviest shoes and coat on the plane? Get a Kindle and don't pack books? Don't bring extra hangers, a hand held luggage scale, over the door shoe rack or all the other many "must haves" I see posted here (not saying you bring these).

Part of the problem is the weight of the suitcase. Some 'light' cases weigh over 11 lbs.