Safety bars in tubs

nat9511

I am wondering if there are safety bars in the tubs on the Noordam? I have had knee and hip replacement and climbing in and out of a tub is a problem for me. If there are bars how many are there?

Thanks for any info you can give me. I have cruised 30 times but have always had a shower instead of a tub in my cabin.

Meant to add that even completely able bodied people should make use of those grab bars when bathing on a moving ship. Any of us can slip when entering/exiting a web tub or shower. Use the grab bars and be safe from what could be an avoidable accident. :)

Be darn careful especially when climbing out. The bathroom floor is noticeably lower than the bottom of the tub.

And I always carry a small, non-skid bathmat for the floor in the bathroom. The little things you get from HAL can skitter around a bit and because of the lower floor, I am a bit unsteady when i get out of the tub/shower. And, if I need more suitcase room going home I don't feel badly about leaving it behind.

Susan

I am wondering if there are safety bars in the tubs on the Noordam? I have had knee and hip replacement and climbing in and out of a tub is a problem for me. If there are bars how many are there?

Thanks for any info you can give me. I have cruised 30 times but have always had a shower instead of a tub in my cabin.

Yes, there are grabrails in all HAL bathtubs. You may not be aware that HAL ships also have a limited number of regular cabins with shower only. My husband has problems getting in and out of a tub and we now book verandah cabins with shower only - not available midship, but not in a bad location, towards the stern of the ship.

And I always carry a small, non-skid bathmat for the floor in the bathroom. The little things you get from HAL can skitter around a bit and because of the lower floor, I am a bit unsteady when i get out of the tub/shower. And, if I need more suitcase room going home I don't feel badly about leaving it behind.

Susan

Excellent idea!!

Yes, there are grabrails in all HAL bathtubs. You may not be aware that HAL ships also have a limited number of regular cabins with shower only. My husband has problems getting in and out of a tub and we now book verandah cabins with shower only - not available midship, but not in a bad location, towards the stern of the ship.

I also can no longer climb over the bath tub so we always make certain that has a shower.

The larger ships have more cabins with shower only than the smaller ships.

I've booked cabins with shower only and those with tubs. It's hard for me to get in and out of the tub so I always use the grab bar and put a mat on the floor when getting out. Those floors are very slippery when wet.

To me the sides of the bathtubs are very high. I understand why they are higher than a normal home tub, but I wonder why they have to be quite as high as they are on HAL ships. I found them difficult even for pax with no mobility issues. Now we only book suites with a separate shower regardless of what cruise line we are sailing.

Edited by peaches from georgia

The larger ships have more cabins with shower only than the smaller ships.
You aren't familiar with the smallest ship in the HAL fleet are you? One thing we love about that ship, the Prinsendam, is that the outside and balcony cabins alternate between having a shower stall and the tub/shower combo. I'm too short to easily get in the tub/shower on the Prinsendam and the R & S class ships. DH is too tall to fully stand up in the tub/showers on the Prinsendam. Being able to have a shower stall is wonderful. Edited by Mary Ellen

Susan

What a great idea! Why didn't I think of that? I haven't had a tub on a cruise since I developed mobility issues (only showers), but I just added "non-skid bathmat" to my packing list!

Thanks! :)

The steward always leaves a rubber bathmat for inside the tub. If you wish another for use when stepping out of the tub to the floor, ask you steward. I think it likely they will provide you with another.

The steward always leaves a rubber bathmat for inside the tub. If you wish another for use when stepping out of the tub to the floor, ask you steward. I think it likely they will provide you with another.

That is my exact thought, Judy. I'm going to ask for a 2nd one this upcoming cruise.:)