To Balcony or not to Balcony

dateacher

I apologize if this has been asked and answered before but I can't find it. We are considering a Mediterranean cruise on the Journey in July, 2015. Since this is a port intensive (no sea days) trip, how important is a balcony? I expect to be gone all day from the ship so I just wonder if it will be worth it to have a balcony not being there that much.

We just returned from an Alaska cruise and didn't have one and never felt we missed it. We preferred being on the various decks and bars for the scenery and not feeling we needed to be on the balcony we paid for.

This may be famous last words because we haven't sailed in it yet, but there are 4 special large ocean view cabins (6004, 6005, 7006, 7007) that cost less than a balcony but give you the balcony space inside the cabin. We're trying 7006 on the Norwegian Fjords. My only worry is that they're at the very front of the ship, in case of rough seas. But the Med should be calm.

This may be famous last words because we haven't sailed in it yet, but there are 4 special large ocean view cabins (6004, 6005, 7006, 7007) that cost less than a balcony but give you the balcony space inside the cabin. We're trying 7006 on the Norwegian Fjords. My only worry is that they're at the very front of the ship, in case of rough seas. But the Med should be calm.

Fair warning:

I have sailed in 7006 on Oceania (same ship) . If seas are rough the motion is awful. If you have any problem with motion sickness you will NOT be happy. My husband had an awful time (I have no problem with motion) on our Southeast Asia cruise (we had many days of rough seas) and we never considered that cabin again.

I apologize if this has been asked and answered before but I can't find it. We are considering a Mediterranean cruise on the Journey in July, 2015. Since this is a port intensive (no sea days) trip, how important is a balcony? I expect to be gone all day from the ship so I just wonder if it will be worth it to have a balcony not being there that much.

On a port-intensive cruise I see no need for a balcony. My husband prefers to hang out on the pool deck when is onboard (and not eating or sleeping.) I like a balcony but only have taken one when it was an included upgrade (our experience on Azamara) or upsold in the last few weeks before a cruise (our experience on Oceania).

Others have a drink before dinner there or perhaps room-service breakfast but we do not do either, so not a priority for us.

Edited by CintiPam

I agree with Laraine. We were in a suite in front of the ship. The motion was awful. We were in Italy and the waves were coming over the front of the ship and water was coming in through the sliding doors. My husband also had an awful time of it. (We were in Italy)

For a port intensive cruise, a window is fine. Mid ship is the best.

Since we started cruising late in life, we get a balcony, albeit, only 2 cruises under our belt with two more coming up. We've gotten a balcony each time but we also got great deals on our cruises and this last time it was the double upgrade. We have also done only port intensive cruises. With that said, we do enjoy the balcony and sometimes enjoy room service and eating breakfast in my pj's and and having a drink before bedtime and just looking at the stars in peace and quiet.

We too are gone from the ship each day but sometimes it's so nice just to chill and relax on the balcony.

I probably would not book a balcony if it meant a big increase in cost of the cruise though.

We have always booked a balcony. I just love being able to go out in the early morning and see us pull into port...and then have breakfast on the balcony. I also prefer, on sea days, to sit on the balcony and watch the ocean. (I'm also a bit claustrophobic, lol, so I'm not sure I could handle a closed cabin, even if it does have windows.)

Fair warning:

I have sailed in 7006 on Oceania (same ship) . If seas are rough the motion is awful. If you have any problem with motion sickness you will NOT be happy. My husband had an awful time (I have no problem with motion) on our Southeast Asia cruise (we had many days of rough seas) and we never considered that cabin again.

Thanks for the warning. Since the ships are so similar, could this information be added to the Cabin Spreadsheet? Only one of these four cabins is listed there (7007) and there is no mention of rough seas motion.

I have stayed in 7007 and loved it but it isn't for anyone who suffers motion sickness. The window is big enough to sit in, at least if you are 5' 3'', it is.

Definitely go mid ships if you suffer mal de mer and avoid the restricted view cabins if you like plenty of natural light. Hope that helps. G

We just returned from an Alaska cruise and didn't have one and never felt we missed it. We preferred being on the various decks and bars for the scenery and not feeling we needed to be on the balcony we paid for.

I did an inside for the first time on Azamara Journey a couple of months ago. It was a scenic cruise and I wasn't sure how I'd get on. The cabins themselves are very comfortable with just as much storage as a regular balcony. I was in 7002 and it was quiet and dark. We did encounter some rough seas and it does rock a lot there, but I don't get motion sickness on a ship and was fine. However I suffered sinus issues that I have never had in a balcony cabin and a friend who was also in an inside did too. I took my iPod docking station with me and had it sitting on the bedside cabinet. It hadn't been moved for the entire 14 days and when I packed it away at the end of the cruise it was covered in a thick layer of dust.

By the end of 14 days I was feeling somewhat claustrophobic. I moved to a balcony on the following cruise and my sinuses improved. Would I do one again? Not sure. If the price differential was enough I would. There was a substantial difference between an inside and balcony on the first trip.

Phil

We did a balcony, for the first time, on our last cruise. We hardly used it, and when we did, we found the noise from another cabin with a balcony very intrusive (they seemed to have lots of parties in their cabin/on their balcony throughout the cruise, with lots of loud laughter/shrieking). So, just be aware of the noise factor from other people when you have a balcony. Also (not on Azamara, but on other cruise lines) you get other people's smoke (I have a balcony at home, and it too is the portal to party noise and smoke! LOL)

I personally won't bother again, it's an extra cost that I don't really need. A seaview cabin is perfect.

Fair warning:

Thanks pacheco18 -- I contacted our TA and we are upgrading to 7075 (V2 slightly aft of midship). Thanks to the BOGOHO offer the upgrade wasn't very expensive and we will have much piece of mind.

To get back to the OP's question: we were on an R ship in 2011 in an inside and found the cabin adequate but a little tight all around. Looking at the deck plans, I assumed that the only non-suite cabins that are any larger are the odd quartet 6004/6005 and 7006/7007 (which we have now learned risk extreme movement in rough seas). However, thanks to another web site I have learned that the R ship cabins in fact do get a little bit larger as you go up in category. Insides are 156 sq, with the bed at the far wall; Oceanviews are 165 sf with the bed sideways near the far wall -- this eliminates the bottlenecks we had in the Inside cabin; Verandahs are 173* sf (plus the balcony) with the bed in the center of the cabin (*not sure where the extra 8 sf are, but always good to have more!).

So here's what you get with a Verandah cabin:

• a little more room than an Ocean View

• wall of windows to give a better view even in bad weather

• bed away from window if light bothers your sleep

• balcony if the weather cooperates

Is it worth it? That's up to you, but the current BOGOHO sale makes the upgrade much less than at rack rates.

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

Breakfast on the balcony is the best on days when the ship arrives very early into port. We would order room service, wrap ourselves in Azamara robes, and enjoy our delicious food as we sailed into port and sometimes into the daylight. We recommended this to friends who recently sailed on the Journey and they enjoyed it so much that they ate every breakfast on the balcony.

Edited by cruisedudes

• 2 weeks later...
On a port intensive cruise, paying extra for the balcony would be a waste. OV is nice. Category 4 to 7 are good. Category 8 is not goodo

Do not agree. I still manage to eat in balcony and enjoy my sail away on it when light out. Dinner is great outside too.

We have always booked a balcony. I just love being able to go out in the early morning and see us pull into port...and then have breakfast on the balcony. I also prefer, on sea days, to sit on the balcony and watch the ocean.

+1

I also like going out in the middle of the night, to watch the stars and sea.

On a port intensive cruise, paying extra for the balcony would be a waste. OV is nice. Category 4 to 7 are good. Category 8 is not goodo
Guess it depends on the person.

If you are the energetic up and at 'em type who jumps right out of bed, gets dressed and goes dashing off to the buffet or dining room for breakfast, I guess you really don't need the balcony.

But for slow starters like us, a port intensive cruise is where we really need the balcony.

Without a balcony, we would miss the scenic approaches to the new ports in the mornings.

We would never make it off the ship in time for an early morning excursion if we first had to start going to the buffet or dining room for breakfast.

One of us eats breakfast on the balcony, or at least has that first cup of coffee out there, while the other is getting ready in the bathroom. Then we switch places.

Room service breakfast on the balcony on port days saves us so much time and is so much more pleasant than running back and forth that it would be worth the price of the balcony just for that alone.

But then after an excursion, we love coming back to our balcony and having our own relaxing private space to rest up and change. There again, one of us relaxes with a drink on the balcony while the other is getting ready.

Necessary? Of course not, but having a balcony greatly enhances our enjoyment of the cruise.

Edited by fleckle

If you are the energetic up and at 'em type who jumps right out of bed, gets dressed and goes dashing off to the buffet or dining room for breakfast, I guess you really don't need the balcony.

But for slow starters like us, a port intensive cruise is where we really need the balcony.

Without a balcony, we would miss the scenic approaches to the new ports in the mornings.

We would never make it off the ship in time for an early morning excursion if we first had to start going to the buffet or dining room for breakfast.

One of us eats breakfast on the balcony, or at least has that first cup of coffee out there, while the other is getting ready in the bathroom. Then we switch places.

Room service breakfast on the balcony on port days saves us so much time and is so much more pleasant than running back and forth that it would be worth the price of the balcony just for that alone.

But then after an excursion, we love coming back to our balcony and having our own relaxing private space to rest up and change. There again, one of us relaxes with a drink on the balcony while the other is getting ready.

Necessary? Of course not, but having a balcony greatly enhances our enjoyment of the cruise.

Well put!!!!!!

My sentiments indeed.

• 3 weeks later...

I do know that on our cruise to India, it was fabulous to be on our balcony as we came into Cochin to see the Chinese fishing nets, right there so close, and as we sailed into Mumbai there was the Gateway to India, welcoming us, as it has many travellers for a 100 years. Very special and well worth the extra cost.

I think I would also get one for the Mediterranean, especially a cruise that docked in Venice, that would be totally awesome.

Those cruising soon have a wonderful time:D

Do not agree. I still manage to eat in balcony and enjoy my sail away on it when light out. Dinner is great outside too.

+1 I ALWAYS find tie to be on the balcony no matter the weather or how port intensive the cruse os..I was in &007 for 9 days in February and was unhappy..I needed to be able to walk outside..!

Jancruz1