Free upgrade taken away 3 days before cruise begins

We booked an outside cabin 40xx on Serenade for the 19 April cruise a couple of months ago. Since 2 weeks I gladly could see a free upgrade to balcony 8130 in my RCCL personal webpage under "My Cruises" . We praised RCCL for the nice upgrade as this would be our first free upgrade at presently 400 seadays achieved. Yesterday cabin upgrade 8130 was deleted from webpage and the original inside cabin 40xx shows up again. A telephone call to RCCL could not bring any clarification and they said that 40xx is indeed the correct cabin for the upcoming cruise. No further explanations possible (I called three different tel-no.s)

Does this happen often that RCCL reverses the free upgrade to the original booked cabin? Two weeks pleasant anticipation taken in a split second......

The times I've gotten upgrades they sent me a fax of the new invoice showing the new cabin number and $0 balance. I've never seen it just change on the "My Cruises" page. It could have been a data error in your reservation that someone caught and fixed.

We booked an outside cabin 40xx on Serenade for the 19 April cruise a couple of months ago. Since 2 weeks I gladly could see a free upgrade to balcony 8130 in my RCCL personal webpage under "My Cruises" . We praised RCCL for the nice upgrade as this would be our first free upgrade at presently 400 seadays achieved. Yesterday cabin upgrade 8130 was deleted from webpage and the original inside cabin 40xx shows up again. A telephone call to RCCL could not bring any clarification and they said that 40xx is indeed the correct cabin for the upcoming cruise. No further explanations possible (I called three different tel-no.s)

Does this happen often that RCCL reverses the free upgrade to the original booked cabin? Two weeks pleasant anticipation taken in a split second......

By chance did you print your "new" document in your "My Cruise" information or do a "print screen" to a document of that information? :) That might be the only way you have any recourse! :( Without something as "proof" it would be their word against your word! :mad:

IF this doesn't get resolved, I would suggest that you write RCCL when you get back saying how much you enjoyed the cruise BUT how disappointed you were that they had such a "cruise ruining" glitch in their system! ! ! :D Hope that there is a GOOD outcome!

:confused:

By chance did you print your "new" document in your "My Cruise" information or do a "print screen" to a document of that information? :) That might be the only way you have any recourse! :( Without something as "proof" it would be their word against your word! :mad:

IF this doesn't get resolved, I would suggest that you write RCCL when you get back saying how much you enjoyed the cruise BUT how disappointed you were that they had such a "cruise ruining" glitch in their system! ! ! :D Hope that there is a GOOD outcome!

Yes- of course I took a screen shot of the reservation around April 10th, showing -what I thought is a free upgrade- balcony 8130. When viewing the detailed cruise documents though it showed the outside 40xx for the luggage tags. When I called them yesterday and asked for guidance which cabin no I should write on the luggage tags the RCCL rep clearly stated "8130" Again - a couple of hours later the screen reversed to 40xx. In the mean time they have sent a "new" cruise documentation to my TA, forwarded to me and that I received an hour ago. It is a re-issue of the same cruise documentation that I received already in January when I booked it: 40xx

So clearly something happened which no one will or can explain. :confused:

Software glitch on behalf of RCCL?

Edited by christi1805

Yes- of course I took a screen shot of the reservation around April 10th, showing -what I thought is a free upgrade- balcony 8130. When viewing the detailed cruise documents though it showed the outside 40xx for the luggage tags. When I called them yesterday and asked for guidance which cabin no I should write on the luggage tags the RCCL rep clearly stated "8130" Again - a couple of hours later the screen reversed to 40xx. In the mean time they have sent a "new" cruise documentation to my TA, forwarded to me and that I received an hour ago. It is a re-issue of the same cruise documentation that I received already in January when I booked it: 40xx

:(:confused::(

Never mind the screen shot or what the luggage tags say. What did your setsail pass say. If you are cruising in 2 days, you must have printed it to reflect the new cabin

Unless you got something indicated you'd been upgraded, I bet it was just their stupid website glitching again. We're lucky when it actually displays the correct information these days.

I wonder if anyone at RCI even looks at the website.

Tom

I don’t understand what is ruined. The OP was given the original cabin he/she booked and paid for. Perhaps they got excited for a free upgrade that never materialized, but the cruise line owes them nothing.

M

I don’t understand what is ruined. The OP was given the original cabin he/she booked and paid for. Perhaps they got excited for a free upgrade that never materialized, but the cruise line owes them nothing.

M

you should work in customer services:rolleyes:

That would be disappointing to anticipate a now nonexistent upgrade, but, since you booked, the OV cabin must be adequate. So, have fun if you sail in that cabin.

You mention a TA, so I am surprised the cruise line was speaking directly to you. Was it the D+ desk, perhaps? Anyway, I'd now involve the agent, as it is the agent's job. Send the agent to screenshot and see if the agent has any luck getting that upgrade restored or any explanation of what happened. Did the agent place you in a group booking? If so maybe the group's cabin numbers were somehow interchanged and are now corrected (I admit, I am stretching for an explanation). If it was just a computer snafu or if they sold that cabin and the ship is now fully booked you may have to sail in your original digs.

Thanks for your answers.

Yes I booked the cruise through RCCL Frankfurt. My travel agent got fishy answers on their inquiries they emailed me this early morning. Nobody knows what was going on. I can only repeat: my original booked 40xx was "upgraded to 8130" for a total of about 2 weeks. The 8130 cabin was shown when you open the reservation page after logging into the personal rccl.com webpage. So being already in the States since one week I only discovered the discrepancy a) 8130 on the (screen shot) reservation head page and b) the 40xx remaining in the cruise docs (luggage tag 40xx) That is why I got suspicious and contacted Miami directly here from the States. And yes the international desk in Miami confirmed yesterday in the telephone call -it is 8130. After that phone call something must have happened behind the stage. Yesterday evening the reservation page was changed to original 40xx and no such cabin like 8130 shows up anymore. The problem cannot be solved with RCCL Frankfurt nor the TA anymore. We have a 7 hrs time difference to Europe and everything is closed for Easter holidays (which starts Thursday evening until Tuesday morning)

I am already travelling in the US, so thought Miami is the right place to inquire about. And I was right since I got a positive 8130 answer from the international Miami desk.

Sure we have a guaranteed 40xx and we will enjoy our cruise- it is just the 2 week long pleseant anticipation of a "free upgrade to balcony" that shadows RCCL ability to explain what happened or what did not happen yesterday.:confused:

Is there a dedicated Miami D+ tel no here in the States please?

Sure we have a guaranteed 40xx and we will enjoy our cruise- it is just the 2 week long pleseant anticipation of a "free upgrade to balcony" that shadows RCCL ability to explain what happened or what did not happen yesterday.:confused:

Is there a dedicated Miami D+ tel no here in the States please?

Not sure I fully understand.

Are you asking for an explanation or compensation?

Not sure I fully understand.

Are you asking for an explanation or compensation?

I have no entitlement nor claim because I booked originally an outside . I just want to have a comprehensive explanation from RCCL why they told me at the telephone- yes it is 8130, why the balcony showed up for 2 weeks on their webpage, and why all of these goodies were reversed......

This is the screen shot , taken April 10th. Hope it works to post it:

cnlarfbfih4px763d.jpg

I have no entitlement nor claim because I booked originally an outside . I just want to have a comprehensive explanation from RCCL why they told me at the telephone- yes it is 8130, why the balcony showed up for 2 weeks on their webpage, and why all of these goodies were reversed......

This is the screen shot , taken April 10th. Hope it works to post it:

cnlarfbfih4px763d.jpg

says you didn't do your online ck in. May be too late now.

The online check-in for 40xx was done about 6 weeks ago. I printed the docs then and carry them with me.

I more and more tend to believe something went very very wrong with their IT -fuzzy handling. Why should the Miami rep yesterday lie at me? I truly do not believe that she lied, there is no reason to tell something wrong . She could not retrieve better than the 8130 as of yesterday and her conversation sounded professional.

Anybody with a Miami Diamond Plus tel no please?

The online check-in for 40xx was done about 6 weeks ago. I printed the docs then and carry them with me.

I more and more tend to believe something went very very wrong with their IT -fuzzy handling. Why should the Miami rep yesterday lie at me? I truly do not believe that she lied, there is no reason to tell something wrong . She could not retrieve better than the 8130 as of yesterday and her conversation sounded professional.

Anybody with a Miami Diamond Plus tel no please?

800-526-9723 hit number 9 to reach the D+ desk Good luck

I cannot explain entirely why the better cabin disappeared, but I think I understand the temporary discrepency you describe ("one week I only discovered the discrepancy a) 8130 on the (screen shot) reservation head page and b) the 40xx remaining in the cruise docs (luggage tag 40xx) That is why I got suspicious and contacted Miami directly here from the States.")

Your cruise documents(e-docs) were issued when you were in 40xx, and, therefore, that's how the electronic luggage tags were issued. After the e-docs were issued, the cabin number changed (mystery chnange in this case; in the future it could happen if you swap cabin number in a category or pay to upgrade or whatever). The e-docs do not update themselves. At this point, a person needs to have the computers re-issue the e-docs so the luggage tags can have the correct info. Generally, if the request is entered one day, the re-issue happens overnight, though I have seen it take longer, especially on weekends.

When I have paid to upgrade or asked to change cabin numbers shortly before a cruise, I have just called C&A and asked that the e-docs be re-issued for luggage tags.

As I think about this, given the timing, maybe that is related....you called Miami and said the tags do not match. Maybe that customer service agent placed the e-doc re-issue request. If it was a computer snfu all along, maybe when the docs were re-issued, the computer corrected its glitch, returning you to your previously assigned cabin. Just a thought.

Edited by Starry Eyes

I read this thread earlier and I was just browsing the CAS benefit webpage and saw this at the very bottom.

"In the rare event that an extenuating circumstance arises after a Member is upgraded, Royal Caribbean reserves the right to withdraw the upgrade to accommodate another guest’s cruise vacation."

Sorry you lost it cause I would had been jumping for joy and would had been very sad about losing it. Hope you have a wonderful cruise.