Nausea Post Cruise

I just want to preface by saying that I have been on 15 Royal Caribbean cruises thus far and have NEVER had an issue with seasickness. Sailed on Brilliance of the Seas over Thanksgiving to Cozumel. The seas were REALLY rough along the way, the boat was swaying significantly. Second day out at sea, I felt unwell all day and threw up that night (never happened before). Felt unwell the whole second day at sea. I have now returned, 4 days back at home and I still feel nauseous and unwell, worse in the mornings/evenings. I am extremely upset because I adore cruising but this has now made me reconsider ever sailing again. Google has heightened my anxiety after reading about Mal de Debarquement Syndrome, I am worried this wont go away. Has anyone else experienced this? Any advice? :(

Go to a dr. I once thought I has mdds but what had actually happened was some of the fluid in my ear had hardened and was free floating in the remaining liquid. This is a real thing that happens, and it makes you super dizzy and disoriented. My doc taught me some weird movements and excersizes designed to get that hardened chunk into a place that would make me less dizzy and help it reabsorb. Sounded like a crock to me, but the movements worked. I was fine with in 3 days.

It WILL go away, but can take a couple weeks.....It won't happen every time you sail...but it can happen sometimes!

Did you take anything for the nausea on the ship? It's best to "nip it in the bud"...rather than let it get worse and worse!

It WILL go away, but can take a couple weeks.....It won't happen every time you sail...but it can happen sometimes!

Did you take anything for the nausea on the ship? It's best to "nip it in the bud"...rather than let it get worse and worse!

YOU ARE NOT A DOCTOR and have no business stating this.

You are probably right about it being an inner ear problem. I was healthy as a horse until the rough waves started. Many other people on the ship felt the same as me. I'm just surprised its still affecting me days later. Maybe my equilibrium is becoming worse with age? I just hope this will not compromise my ability to cruise in the future.

I don't have a problem with nausea after sailing, but I do experience the dizzy & off balance feeling for several days after I return home...I also have the same problem on long car trips or when flying...I ususally take a decongestant for a couple days once I get home & then I am fine...

I had to google MDDS.

"sea legs"

Generally goes away within 2 to 3 days of being back on land.

However, this past sailing on Oasis, I found the sea legs lingered longer for all of us, except for my daughter who actually has motion sickness!! My hubby, son and I all went 4 to 7 days before the symptoms were gone. i find it worse when I'm not moving (ex. sitting at my desk) and the room starts spinning around me. My son had a hockey game 3 days after we got back, and very out of character for him, was skating into the boards and getting dizzy on the ice.

Once you get sensitive to the motion, it generally, keeps up. I never had a problem, never took any meds, until an exceptionally bad sailing on Eurodam. Since then, I am way more sensitive to the ship's motion, especially vibration. Hasn't stopped me from sailing yet :)

I never get seasick, but it takes me awhile to get my land legs. It's been especially rough after this last cruise, as we spent the whole 7-days onboard except for a couple of hours on CocoCay. It just makes me feel a little "wooshy" in the head like I'm still on the ship.

With that being said, that doesn't sound at all like what you have. Please go see a doctor.

Edited by VASOXFANN

I live with vertigo 24/7 from extreme to mild. Was told by my E.N.T Dr. that I should never cruise.

Meanwhile I had numerous cruises under my belt, I never felt vertigo or sea sickness on board ever but the minute I put my feet on land vertigo comes on. Needless to say I switched dr.s.

I have lived with it for approx 5 years now.

Is the OP even female? :eek:

I have no idea, haha! But it was my first thought, and their profile doesn't say. I took a giant leap on it because they used the word "adore" in their post, which made me think it was safe to lean towards thinking they're a woman. Of child bearing age though? Who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by ColoradoGurl

I have no idea, haha! But it was my first thought, and their profile doesn't say. I took a giant leap on it because they used the word "adore" in their post, which made me think it was safe to lean towards thinking they're a woman. Of child bearing age though? Who knows.

You never know these days....as DH found out in one of the hot tubs on Grandeur last week :eek:

Anywho, I'm just glad you weren't responding to me :eek:;)

I just want to preface by saying that I have been on 15 Royal Caribbean cruises thus far and have NEVER had an issue with seasickness. Sailed on Brilliance of the Seas over Thanksgiving to Cozumel. The seas were REALLY rough along the way, the boat was swaying significantly. Second day out at sea, I felt unwell all day and threw up that night (never happened before). Felt unwell the whole second day at sea. I have now returned, 4 days back at home and I still feel nauseous and unwell, worse in the mornings/evenings. I am extremely upset because I adore cruising but this has now made me reconsider ever sailing again. Google has heightened my anxiety after reading about Mal de Debarquement Syndrome, I am worried this wont go away. Has anyone else experienced this? Any advice? :(

The one time I got seasick I was newly pregnant. And the sickness didn't get better once on land. If it's at all biologically possible, check it out. :)

That said, after our last cruise which was almost all sea days, I had land-sickness for weeks after we got off the ship. It was crazy. I wasn't nauseated but I couldn't walk a straight line. Trying to do yoga was amusing. I was so glad when it finally faded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have found that if seas are rough, it takes a few days for my inner ear to adjust. I do take Bonine and have never actually thrown up since my first cruise. I have felt bad enough to lay down a couple of times, but never gotten really sick. When I get home, if seas have been bad, I do feel it for a couple of days, but it's usually only a feeling of disorientation, not sickness. If seas are rough, I take Bonine for a couple of days after I get home. But, I have never felt nauseous after a cruise and I'm prone to sea sickness. Either you have inner ear issues or something else is going on.

I also had more issues when I was pregnant. I was about 6 months pregnant when I went on a dependent's cruise on DH's cruiser (US Navy) and I was nauseous the whole trip, but that also went away once we docked.

Our resident multiple poster, CB at sea, as usual has an opinion, but is hardly an expert and never, ever comes back to any thread they post on. No one is even sure they've ever been on a cruise. I've at least met other CC cruisers, but I don't know anyone who has ever met CB. No cruise history and I've never seen them post on a roll call. Getting tired of their crap.

Edited by BND

There is no guarantee it "WILL go away." Does it go away for the majority? Yes. But stating this unequivocally is not a good thing to do.

If you are worried about your health, please don't listen to people on the internet. Go see a doctor.