Calling the experts who are up for a challenge!

diskids2

Hi Ladies and Gentlemen (are there any out there?)!

I am going on my first cruise in August from NYC to Bermuda. I live in Westchester county so I don't have to deal with a plane. Under normal circumstances I would have the normal issues with planning what to take with me, but....

On Feb 1st, we had a fire in the building that my family lives in. NO ONE is HURT! We had a total loss of smoke and water damage...no fire. So I refuse to let this get me down :) nor is my husband, daughter (23) or son (19) going to let this derail them! We had the cruised booked before the fire...we are going with another family and we are still on!

Let's just say we have NOTHING for the cruise (we have nothing in general ;) but for this post, I'm concentrating on the cruise!

And as a side note...anyone that does not have homeowners insurance, please go out and get it! I cant imagine what we would do without it...I'll get off my preachy box now!

So I need help! I have no idea where to start! The fun is that we can get everything new, and while that is fun it is also overwhelming. I'd rather concentrate on the fun part! Any ideas...recommendations....places to start....fun places to shop...luggage recommendations...pocketbooks....you name it we need to address it.

Thanks to everyone!

I am really sorry to hear about the fire. Thank God no one was hurt. I am happy to hear that you are still going on your cruise. You can check out the recycling clothing among cc members board and see if there are any clothes there that might help you out. I see that some people here shop on Ebay and get great buys.

Don't rule out second hand stores. The spring is coming and people clean out their closets and even donate neww things.

Edited by geocruiser

I'm so sorry to hear about the fire~ but so glad no one was injured!!!

For luggage I would start at Ross, TJMaxx, Marshall's~ they always have lots of name brand luggage for great prices~ also check out the clothing there! Target usually has good prices on bathing suits about now~ JCPenney has decent prices and good clothing~ Kohls, Dillards when they have sales~

Good luck to you and your family~ I hope you have a fabulous time on your cruise!

Style is very personal, but I would be looking at Athleta.com for some staples. They have great fabrics for travel, as well as great styles for travel...and they consistently have a great selection as well as an excellent return policy. They can be a bit pricey but they do have good sales and if you look at cost per wear for some of the basics (some may not be on sale)...it's not a bad investment.

I get all of my luggage at Marshall's and all of my work slacks and skirts (misses and petites) at Ann Taylor. I think that Macy's, TJ Maxx and Marshalls are great places to start your basics wardrobe. They have stuff for everyone in the family.

Guest maddycat

I am going on my first cruise in August from NYC to Bermuda. I live in Westchester county so I don't have to deal with a plane. Under normal circumstances I would have the normal issues with planning what to take with me, but....

On Feb 1st, we had a fire in the building that my family lives in. NO ONE is HURT! We had a total loss of smoke and water damage...no fire. So I refuse to let this get me down :) nor is my husband, daughter (23) or son (19) going to let this derail them! We had the cruised booked before the fire...we are going with another family and we are still on!

Let's just say we have NOTHING for the cruise (we have nothing in general ;) but for this post, I'm concentrating on the cruise!

And as a side note...anyone that does not have homeowners insurance, please go out and get it! I cant imagine what we would do without it...I'll get off my preachy box now!

So I need help! I have no idea where to start! The fun is that we can get everything new, and while that is fun it is also overwhelming. I'd rather concentrate on the fun part! Any ideas...recommendations....places to start....fun places to shop...luggage recommendations...pocketbooks....you name it we need to address it.

Thanks to everyone!

You could drive to the Outlets at the Bergen Town Center Mall on route 4 in Paramus, NJ. It's not far from Westchester. There is a large assortment of outlet stores (Marshall's, Century 21, Off Fifth, The Rack, Neiman Marcus, Bloomingdale's, Gap, Nike, Maidenform, Banana Republic, Chicos, H&M, Old Navy). In NJ you will not have to pay any tax on clothing or shoes.

http://www.bergentowncenter.com/

Edited by maddycat

So sorry about the fire:( but certainly happy to see nobody was hurt:)

Clothing is definitely replaceable....people are not.

I would go with Madeline's suggestion!!! Since you don't have to pay

sales tax in New Jersey? GO THERE!:D

I can help out with shoes if either of the ladies wear a size 7! I've got a few pairs of shoes that either have never been worn or are "gently worn". Let me know if that size fits. I have a charity that I usually donate my clothing too but I would love to help you guys out if I can.:D

So sorry about the fire but happy to hear that everyone is well and that no one was injured. You and your family have a great attitude and I hope you enjoy your cruise.:D

Thanks to everyone!

I'm so sorry for what you've been through. How absolutely devastating it must be for you and your loved ones.

In the mist of all this sadness you now have a 2nd chance to start over.

I'd say take some time, sit down where it's quiet and think about the things you didn't care for that you always wanted to change. Now is that opportunity.

Start small and simple, think versatile, mix and match, things that you will get many different uses out of in many ways.

I definitely agree with what others have posted as far as Tj Maxx, Marshalls, etc. Are there ladies you know who always seem to have cute outfits or are bargain shoppers? Now's the time to seek their help. I'm sure they would love nothing better than to spend several hours hunting down bargains with you :)

Most importantly, don't rush into anything. The last thing you need right now is to make hasty decisions.

I wish you best of luck and much health and happiness in the future

Hi Everyone! So much wonderful advice....thank you! Didn't think about NJ and you're right it is not far from me at all! If you offered something, I've sent a PM....thank you so much!

Taking my time is EXACTLY what I want to do and am AFRAID that I won't do! I am a uber planner and making lists is something I love, so I've started one for the items we all need for the cruise and all of you are helping me add stores to the list and great ideas!

We most definitely have a great attitude and believe me this has not been without moments of frustration, anger, and tears...many tears! But we consider ourselves very fortunate...we have each other and that is all that matters! So this cruise that was meant to be a celebration of 25 years of marriage is now also a celebration of life!

I don't have special 'cruise clothes".....I take what I would normally wear at home...so, don't purchase specifically for the cruise! Make sure whatever you buy, you'll be able to use as normal wardrobe!

Good luck to you....fire or not, it sounds horrendous!

I don't have special 'cruise clothes".....I take what I would normally wear at home...so, don't purchase specifically for the cruise! Make sure whatever you buy, you'll be able to use as normal wardrobe!

I'll have to agree with this. You may have something special for formal night, but otherwise buy things that you can use.

I will add, whatever you buy, wear it a few times before your trip. Make sure you really like the item and it is comfortable. We've all purchased clothes that we think we love, only to have it be scratchy or too tight/loose/longer/shorter than we would prefer and don't find this out until the first real wearing. I made that mistake when we cruised the Med…bought a pair of those pants that zip into shorts. I hated them, I had only tried them on at home prior to leaving. Those went directly from the suitcase to the Goodwill bag.

My thoughts exactly. Don't waste the money on "cruise clothes." Buy what you need for everyday wear and take those. It is what many people do (me included). No one is going to point in horror and say "oh look at those people - they don't have on cruise clothes."

So sorry about the fire and the loss of possessions. If you wouldn't mind, if you did post your sizes (and your family members', too), there are many of us who have items that we don't need/use/didn't like after we bought/etc., that we'd be more than happy to share with a CCer...

Every comment is so helpful! When you have a million things on your mind...everything just gets caught up! I remember last summer I bought this shirt. I tried it on and loved it. So it went from the bag to the suitcase. Then I was walking around disney in the usual summer heat and for some reason it was so darn uncomfortable! I donated it when I got home!

I think its a great idea to avoid buying cruise clothes and stick to things I will continue to wear besides it will all be new anyway!

As far as sizes, I'll post them and want to say thanks up front. I posted for advice and felt I should explain our family needing everything, mostly so I didn't look like this clothes snob wanted everything new for her cruise! I assure you I am the opposite of that, LOL! I have been so humbled by this experience and many people's generosity has been unbelievable. I wear a size 18 and my daughter wears a 12/14. Shoe size is 9 and 10.

I like Overstock.com for luggage and pretty much anything else you need. I have bought a couple of really nice sets of luggage and I buy all of my bedding from them. I go by star rating and I read product reviews.

Glad to hear you and your family are well.☺

As far as sizes, I'll post them and want to say thanks up front. I posted for advice and felt I should explain our family needing everything, mostly so I didn't look like this clothes snob wanted everything new for her cruise! I assure you I am the opposite of that, LOL! I have been so humbled by this experience and many people's generosity has been unbelievable. I wear a size 18 and my daughter wears a 12/14. Shoe size is 9 and 10.

This dress did not make the cut for my last cruise. It still has the tags on it and is a size 12 JS Boutique silver sequined dress. I am 5'11", so it probably will not be this short on your daughter. Email me lisa at lounsbery dot com if she would like this dress and I will be happy to give it to her.

PA130010_zpsddbf4f1d.jpg

Lisa

This dress did not make the cut for my last cruise. It still has the tags on it and is a size 12 JS Boutique silver sequined dress. I am 5'11", so it probably will not be this short on your daughter. Email me lisa at lounsbery dot com if she would like this dress and I will be happy to give it to her.

PA130010_zpsddbf4f1d.jpg

Lisa

You look great in that dress though! Let me show her tonight and I will email you either way. Seriously, you look terrific!