When Will There Be A Promo for Summer 2018?

DaisyRose

Hello all,

I'm an experienced cruiser, but new to Holland America. I have been wanting to book a July 2018 Holland America Alaska cruise for quite a while, but so far, summer 2018 sailings have not been included in the promotions. (For instance, Ready, Set, Sail, with prepaid gratuities and some onboard credits only applies to cruises up to March 2018). I don't know much about HA, but it seems that they don't offer many deals until closer to sailing time. Does anyone know when they might offer a promotion that would include summer 2018 cruises to Alaska? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Hello all,

I'm an experienced cruiser, but new to Holland America. I have been wanting to book a July 2018 Holland America Alaska cruise for quite a while, but so far, summer 2018 sailings have not been included in the promotions. (For instance, Ready, Set, Sail, with prepaid gratuities and some onboard credits only applies to cruises up to March 2018). I don't know much about HA, but it seems that they don't offer many deals until closer to sailing time. Does anyone know when they might offer a promotion that would include summer 2018 cruises to Alaska? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Once Ready, Set, Sail expires, I wouldn't be surprised to see them offer Explore4. Not sure if it would happen right away or not, but I suspect it will follow.

Sometimes the deals are better without the promos and sometimes not, so wise to compare apples to apples. ;)

I'm thinking the next promo is likely to start mid/late July, or Early August and coincide with the release of the remainder of the Fall 2018 - Winter/Spring 2019 sailings and include those dates through April 2019. Until then they could extend Ready, Set, Sail again or go promo free for a short period. HAL seems to offer far fewer promos than others and runs them longer.

I also get a feeling that with them announcing deployments far later than their competitors that the average HAL client has not traditionally booked as far in advance - more like 10-15 months or less vs say Celebrity and Royal which seem to have more clients likely to book 12-18+ months in advance.

If the Explore 4 package was available again would it include transatlantics? I know Celebrity does not offer some of their perks to repositioning cruises....we are new to HAL and wondering if it would be the same...

Once Ready, Set, Sail expires, I wouldn't be surprised to see them offer Explore4. Not sure if it would happen right away or not, but I suspect it will follow.

Sometimes the deals are better without the promos and sometimes not, so wise to compare apples to apples. ;)

Very true about HAL's pricing with and without the promotions. Things change all the time, but lately I have found the best deals to be had are the ones with the minor promotions (like Cruise Month) and lower fares. I have been booking the lower fares between the major promotions (like Explore4 and Ready Set Sail) and then adding a minor promotion when it comes along.

Of course, the "value" of the promotion varies by person and how it fits their spending/consumption patterns.

If the Explore 4 package was available again would it include transatlantics? I know Celebrity does not offer some of their perks to repositioning cruises....we are new to HAL and wondering if it would be the same...

It applied on our Transatlantics (offered on both since HAL started this). I opted for the lower price without it ;)

Very true about HAL's pricing with and without the promotions. Things change all the time, but lately I have found the best deals to be had are the ones with the minor promotions (like Cruise Month) and lower fares. I have been booking the lower fares between the major promotions (like Explore4 and Ready Set Sail) and then adding a minor promotion when it comes along.

Of course, the "value" of the promotion varies by person and how it fits their spending/consumption patterns.

Bolding is mine. This is just so true. Benefits as part of promos that you can't maximize/use /want to use, etc are not benefits. It's very important to do the math on the benefits that apply to YOU and YOUR booking.

Thanks everyone for lots of good information and suggestions. The 14 day Alaska cruise I want for July 2018 seems very high priced without any promotions being offered. That is why I was wondering when some new promotions might be started. I'm just going to keep watching, and hope some upcoming promotions will be offered for it without an increase in price.

@DaisyRose:

If you are specific about the cabin(s) you want, you should book now. They will apply future perks or prices to your booking up until final payment date. However, if you are set on the cabin and date you want (for Alaska) don't be surprised if you don't see a sale -- this is my experience -- the sale reads $$$ for Alaska! But, either the cabins are not ones I could/would use, or the dates are very early or late in the season.

Not to rain on your cruise! It's just that they can fill the ship without discounting it, so why would they?

Going on that cruise in Aug'18 myself...

Thanks for the advice Crystalspin. I don't need a specific cabin, I would just want to avoid one above or below a noisy venue. I think I'll wait just a little longer, and if there are no sales I'll book soon.

PS@DaisyRose

An obscured or partially obscured OV cabin on the Lower Promenade is a good deal, we think in my family. Even an inside (which my brother and SIL even preferred, or kindly said they did) on the LP can be only a few steps from the Promenade (boardwalk, not deck), which is the biggest balcony on the ship! Just be wary of what is over you (it won't be staterooms, but not all public areas are noisy at night. If in doubt, ask me here!

• 3 weeks later...

Explore4 starts August 1st. Signature Beverage Pkg, Pinnacle Grill, 50% reduced deposit, reduced prices for 3rd and 4th passengers and an additional $200 OBC for suites.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I wonder if the E4 50% deposit will be non-refundable like the SNAP currently is.

I wonder, too, if there will be any prime Alaska cruises in the "select" itineraries the E4 is good on.

Not getting my hopes up on either (why give things away if the cruise is selling fine?), but it would be good fun to have included beverages for the same itinerary the original OP* asked about... lots of specialty coffees watching the fantastic scenery!

Idle question, how much does dinner in the PG go for anyway? No 3rd/4th guests in the PO OVs on the Lower Promenade, and the deposits are already down...

I wonder if the E4 50% deposit will be non-refundable like the SNAP currently is.

I wonder, too, if there will be any prime Alaska cruises in the "select" itineraries the E4 is good on.

Not getting my hopes up on either (why give things away if the cruise is selling fine?), but it would be good fun to have included beverages for the same itinerary the original OP* asked about... lots of specialty coffees watching the fantastic scenery!

Idle question, how much does dinner in the PG go for anyway? No 3rd/4th guests in the PO OVs on the Lower Promenade, and the deposits are already down...

PG dinner is $35 pp.

Explore4 starts August 1st. Signature Beverage Pkg, Pinnacle Grill, 50% reduced deposit, reduced prices for 3rd and 4th passengers and an additional $200 OBC for suites.

But not the daily service charge?

I received an email from an online agency offering the same thing right now for Alaska 2018, but they aren't calling it Explore4, but they are offering the same thing (calling it a private sale). For Noordam 6/10/18, for SS w/ the "perks", it would be around $1,339 more than I am currently booked for, plus the deposit is non-refundable. Just a SS w/o the perks would be $539 more than my current price plus a non-refundable deposit.

I did find another site where I could book and save around $150, but the deposit would become non-refundable. Too far out to think about switching to that. We do have cancel for any reason insurance, but not worth going to non-ref for only $150.

We'll see what HAL offers next week. Right now, they are the same price as the agency above, $539 more than what I have.

See below. I meant to edit not quote myself... [emoji57]