MDR Dress code??

So we are traveling on the Oasis in 2 weeks(first Royal Cruise). Could some of you experienced Royal cruisers fill me in on acceptable dress code in MDR?

Men: Dress shorts?

Polo shirt ?

Jeans ?

Women: Maxi dress and flip flops?

Denim Capris?

And what about formal night, will Khakis and a Polo be ok for men?

I know this can be a sensitive subject and I appreciate all of your input.

Wear whatever makes you comfortable. You will see every answer imaginable on here. I always wear dark jeans and a pullover hoodie/sweatshirt and DH wears a polo or button front shirt with Dockers or nice jeans. I hate being cold! It's fun seeing all the dressed up people, but I don't own anything like that and it's not a financial issue. Just too old to mess up my vacation with all that fuss.

Wear whatever makes you comfortable. You will see every answer imaginable on here. I always wear dark jeans and a pullover hoodie/sweatshirt and DH wears a polo or button front shirt with Dockers or nice jeans. I hate being cold! It's fun seeing all the dressed up people, but I don't own anything like that and it's not a financial issue. Just too old to mess up my vacation with all that fuss.

Thank you Twincheryl! Thats what I was looking for. Just don't want my 16 year old kicked out of dinner for wearing dress shorts and a polo.

Thank you Twincheryl! Thats what I was looking for. Just don't want my 16 year old kicked out of dinner for wearing dress shorts and a polo.

If they do enforce the dress, it is usually for shorts and/or tank tops.

So we are traveling on the Oasis in 2 weeks(first Royal Cruise). Could some of you experienced Royal cruisers fill me in on acceptable dress code in MDR?

Men: Dress shorts?

Polo shirt ?

Jeans ?

Women: Maxi dress and flip flops?

Denim Capris?

I know this can be a sensitive subject and I appreciate all of your input.

Yep, you're just fine. I just got off Adventure of the Seas yesterday, and I can tell you that there were plenty of khakis and flip flops in the MDR even on Formal nights. Don't sweat it. Formal is as formal as YOU want it to be. There isn't a true dress code; only attire suggestions. Enjoy your sailing!

Yep, you're just fine. I just got off Adventure of the Seas yesterday, and I can tell you that there were plenty of khakis and flip flops in the MDR even on Formal nights. Don't sweat it. Formal is as formal as YOU want it to be. There isn't a true dress code; only attire suggestions. Enjoy your sailing!

Thanks

Really ALL MEN wear a suit to dinner EVERY formal night???

Many of us do. Or wear a tux. We looked at the dress codes before the cruises, went with the expectation the the guidelines would be followed, and were disappointed that some people dressed like slobs and lowered the tone. But you will hear many people tell you to ignore the guidelines, do whatever you want to do because what the heck you paid for a cruise and you deserve to have it your way and don't worry about the other thousands of people who also paid for their cruises and have their own expectations which you are violating.

Wear whatever you want and don't listen to people like the previous poster who have nothing better to do than judge other people. The fact they would let it bother them that someone isn't dressed like they are is comical. You're not responsible for anyone else's enjoyment on your vacation but your own as long as you're not being offensive or annoying.

I'm not planning a tux at all on formal nights for my cruise starting this Friday. I'm planning to wear a nice pair of dress trousers, a pressed dress shirt, a sports coat and a tie. I have two of each that can be mixed/matched for additional options.

For the non-formal nights, I'll have khakis and a collared or button down shirt.

As others have said, wear what makes you comfortable. I would recommend at least long pants and a button down/collar... but again, do what works for you and have fun!! That's what cruising is all about!

There are suggested attire as you have found out and not enforced but what you have described for formal nights are fine if you prefer not to wear suits and tux.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are suggested attire as you have found out and not enforced but what you have described for formal nights are fine if you prefer not to wear suits and tux.

I think that it is a disturbing trend that people are wearing track suit bottoms, tank tops and shorts in the |MDR and then as if that wasnt bad enough, others are applauding it.

As crusiing has got cheaper, so has the approach of some, a tiny minority at the moment, resorted to wearing tank tops and flip flops and dare I saw it bathroom robes by the pool.

Its a reflection of sad times ahead for cruising.

To the OP, the suggested attire for the evening should be worn and followed, otherwise you will stick out like a sore thumb.

Edited by P&O Lynn Knickers
Lynn says it like it is GO LYNN we love you

If they do enforce the dress, it is usually for shorts and/or tank tops.

Bob is correct. We are currently on the rhaposody and the man in front of me in the MDR BREAKFAST line was denied entrance as he was in a tank top. This happened this morning.

M

I think that it is a disturbing trend that people are wearing track suit bottoms, tank tops and shorts in the |MDR and then as if that wasnt bad enough, others are applauding it.

As crusiing has got cheaper, so has the approach of some, a tiny minority at the moment, resorted to wearing tank tops and flip flops and dare I saw it bathroom robes by the pool.

Its a reflection of sad times ahead for cruising.

To the OP, the suggested attire for the evening should be worn and followed, otherwise you will stick out like a sore thumb.

I agree, slobs rolling into the MDR dressed for Wal-Mart decays the experience for others. Keep your hockey jersey, Harley Davidson T-shirt and jeans for the Windjammer. If you can afford to walk aboard the Oasis you can afford to by some dress slacks and/or khakis for the MDR. I agree with Lynn, lets stop applauding the dumbing down of the MDR experience. What's next, Applauding going shirtless in the MDR?

Tank tops and shorts is/should definitely be a no no on formal nights but trousers/khakis and polo shirt will not stand out like a sore thumb on formal nights in MDR.

European cruises tend to be more formal but Caribbean cruises tend to be more relaxed.

Yes, no problem.

Really, many dress like that especially for spring / summer cruises in the Caribbean. Won't stick out like a sore thumb.

Ignore all the "noise" on here.

I agree, slobs rolling into the MDR dressed for Wal-Mart decays the experience for others. ?

its so nice to hear your views on this, and a big thank you for your support.

I have been a beacon of light, I have being saying this for years that the MDR experience is being threatened by some of the people whom book last minute.

I applaud you for mentioning this, and on behalf of the many, may I say well done sir !

Edited by P&O Lynn Knickers
GO L Y N N

Wear whatever you want and don't listen to people like the previous poster who have nothing better to do than judge other people...

And yet you come here and do the same. Come on.

OP, it's true the suggested dress code has relaxed quite a bit over the years, but rest assured, some people do get dressed for dinner and some go all out on Formal Night. You will see all manner of dress on each night of your cruise.