Walkie Talkies

Can I pack them in my carry on or would they be better off in my checked luggage when going through the airport?

Thanks

Depends on batteries.

If they are alkaline battery powered (which most are) -- checked or carry-on is okay.

Lithium Ion Batteries (cell phone, cameras, etc) need to be packed in carry-on just in case they catch fire and need to be extinguished -- which is a seriously legitimate concern.

As far as to if they work on the ship -- some areas are better than others, but I've found they are pretty useful in many cases.

I would not put them in any luggage.

Since they really don't work on ships...

I was not planning on taking them but our 7 year old grandson asked if we could. We have tried them on other cruises and they are just ok. We will probably use them from room to room.

I was not planning on taking them but our 7 year old grandson asked if we could. We have tried them on other cruises and they are just ok. We will probably use them from room to room.

The staterooms phones work perfectly room to room, and there is no charge for that.

In public areas, a 7 year old running around with a walkie talkie would be REALLY irritating for other passengers. Using them cabin to cabin sounds like a great way of letting him enjoy them while being considerate for other passengers.

Since when have walkie talkies not worked on ships? My husband and I have used them in the past. Just as a way of finding one another. They worked fine then. And there is no cost. I agree that constant chatter would be annoying. We did not use them on our last few cruises and it was a pain trying to find one another. We are kind of old school. I like to be completely disconnected while at sea, no internet etc. Was nice to be able to tell co-workers that it would cost them a fortune to reach me.... :)

Since when have walkie talkies not worked on ships? ...

We've tried them a few times early on and found that when we were separated by a few decks, we could no longer communicate.

Edited by clarea

Nothing more annoying than a kid messing around with Walkie talkies on board a cruise ship.

Just a kid by themselves is annoying, never mind the walkie talkie.

I'd do what most people on here do and pay for the $50/minute internet. Just make a post on cruisecritic while you are on vacation asking where you party member is. They'll see your post and reply so you can get together easily.

Our grandson is a very well behaved 7 year old who will be going on his third cruise and is not allowed to run around the ship with or without a walker talkie in his hand.

Please don't assume that he will be annoying. If you want to categorize, I have seen and heard many annoying teenagers in the middle of the night running the hallways or some pretty annoying adults who have enjoyed their beverage package way too much.

My original question was transporting walkie talkies, somehow we got off topic a bit.

We have used walkie talkies many many times on cruises. They are great onboard and off the ship. Pick a channel that everyone in your group will monitor, that cuts down on chatter. Carry them in your carry on so you can have access when you board before your luggage is delivered.