Pre-Gold Benefits -- What???

jm485

We're about to embark on our first Royal cruise. I did sign DH and myself up for C&A when we booked and we are in a GS.

Today I received an email (interestingly, addressed to DH even though I'm the primary person on the reservation) -- welcoming us and listing our "pre-gold" benefits. These include 3 vouchers for drinks during happy hour, which I thought was only for D and up.

Any idea what this "pre-gold" status is, or why it would include free booze? As I typed this, it occurred to me that maybe they are now limiting people to 3 drinks in the CL, but thought I would see if any other new RCI cruisers have gotten a similar email.

I'm hoping it works because I like the idea of being able to go to different bars on the ship for a cocktail on the house, but am kind of wondering if it's an IT glitch.

Thanks.

No, it's not a Pre-Gold benefit. It's because you are in a suite. You get a drink benefit in a suite. I'm a platinum cruiser in a regular balcony cabin & I don't get any free drinks (except at the Top Tier level party.)

That's right...it's a "suite perk"....and those in suites get GOLD colored sea passes. It has nothing to do with Crown and Anchor at all. I believe they started the "voucher" thing because the concierge lounge would be over-run at the cocktail area....this way, folks don't HAVE to be in the CL in order to get that drink! Bear in mind that the vouchers don't work in the dining room...only at bars!

Edited by cb at sea

I've never had drink vouchers before when sailing in a suite. Is this something new?

That's what I wondered -- maybe it's because our sailing is sold out and they are trying to limit crowding in the CL?

Here's the email -- other than the Happy Hour, all of the perks they list seem to be either things everyone gets, that everyone in C&A gets or that everyone in a suite gets:

Dear Husband'sFirstName:

As a Pre-gold member, you'll receive exclusive benefits and privileges on your upcoming voyage, including:

Priority Check In & Complimentary Water: Enjoy priority boarding & a bottle of complimentary water in your stateroom upon arrival.

Onboard Offers: Be sure to reference the Welcome Letter in your stateroom on embarkation day to view the great onboard offers for shopping; VitalitySM Day Spa, Internet Café, and other activities.

Nightly Happy Hour: Enjoy three complimentary drink vouchers during the nightly happy hour (times vary by ship).

Next Cruise Bonus: Up to $500 credit in instant onboard credit, when you book your next cruise onboard. Visit the next cruise desk for details.

Balcony & Suite Discounts: Book your next cruise onboard in a Balcony or Suite stateroom and enjoy savings; combine this offer with the Next Cruise Bonus and save more!

Thank you for your continued loyalty and have a wonderful voyage!

Drinks vouchers are only for diamond, diamond plus and pinnacle. Suite guests receive free drinks for a few hours each evening in concierge club (limited menu).

We are emerald and recently had grand suite, no vouchers for us.

Edited by moshek

Hmm, maybe this is some sort of new feature for people who sign-up for C&A prior to their cruise. It could be sort of a way to suck you into the program with the promise of free happy hour drinks, priority boarding, and a complimentary bottle of water. Then, on your next cruise, well, you're now "Gold" and you get nuttin' :)

That's what I wondered -- maybe it's because our sailing is sold out and they are trying to limit crowding in the CL?

Here's the email -- other than the Happy Hour, all of the perks they list seem to be either things everyone gets, that everyone in C&A gets or that everyone in a suite gets:

Dear Husband'sFirstName:

As a Pre-gold member, you'll receive exclusive benefits and privileges on your upcoming voyage, including:

Priority Check In & Complimentary Water: Enjoy priority boarding & a bottle of complimentary water in your stateroom upon arrival.

Onboard Offers: Be sure to reference the Welcome Letter in your stateroom on embarkation day to view the great onboard offers for shopping; VitalitySM Day Spa, Internet Café, and other activities.

Nightly Happy Hour: Enjoy three complimentary drink vouchers during the nightly happy hour (times vary by ship).

Next Cruise Bonus: Up to $500 credit in instant onboard credit, when you book your next cruise onboard. Visit the next cruise desk for details.

Balcony & Suite Discounts: Book your next cruise onboard in a Balcony or Suite stateroom and enjoy savings; combine this offer with the Next Cruise Bonus and save more!

Thank you for your continued loyalty and have a wonderful voyage!

That doesn't make sense. That would be more than you'd get as a gold member.

And why does it say at the end, "Thank you for your continued loyalty" when you've never been on a Royal cruise before???

Drinks vouchers are only for diamond, diamond plus and pinnacle. Suite guests receive free drinks for a few hours each evening in concierge club (limited menu).

We are emerald and recently had grand suite, no vouchers for us.

OP's email clearly mentions vouchers, so maybe this is something new.

That doesn't make sense. That would be more than you'd get as a gold member.

And why does it say at the end, "Thank you for your continued loyalty" when you've never been on a Royal cruise before???

The balcony discount does not kick in until Platinum level.

This whole letter is clearly another CF from the sterling RC IT department.

(Alphabet soup! ;) )

The balcony discount does not kick in until Platinum level.

This whole letter is clearly another CF from the sterling RC IT department.

(Alphabet soup! ;) )

Hmm...we have friends going with us on our Oasis cruise in October that will be first-time cruisers. I'm tempted to ask them to sign up for C & A in advance to see what, if any "pre-gold" benefits they get notified of (especially since they're in a balcony, not a suite...help us suss out which perks are for being in the GS and if there is such a thing as "pre-gold" now)

OP, you don't happen to have Elite status on Celebrity do you?

I was thinking the same thing...

Does sound like a nice new perk for suite guests to be able to get a drink without visiting the busy CL! You pay plenty for a suite, it should be a benefit considering Diamonds and above get the coupons. Suites should also get that perk without having to wait in CL to be served.

OP, you don't happen to have Elite status on Celebrity do you?

Nope. About the best I can do is One Star Mariner on HAL from a cruise a couple of years ago. That plus 6 more cruises in suites may get us to D.

OP, just to clarify for you. Since you are booked in a GS, you will get to use the Suite Line for check-in. If boarding has already started, you just follow the crowd to the ship.:D If it hasn't started, you will be seated in an area for suite guests.

You will have access to the Concierge Lounge where cocktail hour is either 5-8:30 or 4:30-8PM. Along with hot and cold finger foods, here is a list of what is offered in the lounge during cocktail hour in the form of liquid refreshment http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=44833138&postcount=

You will also have access 24/7 to enjoy a Continental Breakfast in the mornings and Specialty Coffee during the day.

The Concierge can assist you with making dinner reservations at Chops or Portofino's, possibly a spa appointment or shore excursions.

Enjoy your cruise on Liberty.

Edited by cruisenfever

Enjoy your time on Liberty. We sailed on her in March out of Ft. Lauderdale in a GS and had a great time. Make sure to get suite breakfast in Chops!

So, when you eat breakfast in Chops as part of a suite benefit are you supposed to tip in there daily or is it considered part of your other tipping? Thanks for any input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm, maybe this is some sort of new feature for people who sign-up for C&A prior to their cruise. It could be sort of a way to suck you into the program with the promise of free happy hour drinks, priority boarding, and a complimentary bottle of water. Then, on your next cruise, well, you're now "Gold" and you get nuttin' :)

If so, it started after I cruised on 7/31. I'd gone ahead and signed up for C&A online before cruising so I wouldn't have to deal with doing it onboard to be able to book, but I got none of those things the OP states they're getting.

If so, it started after I cruised on 7/31. I'd gone ahead and signed up for C&A online before cruising so I wouldn't have to deal with doing it onboard to be able to book, but I got none of those things the OP states they're getting.

You didn't get them.

She won't get them.

No one will get them.

It's a mistake.

Sorry to be the bearer of sad news. ;) :D

You didn't get them.

She won't get them.

No one will get them.

It's a mistake.

Not a mistake. It's the suite benefits-- not a C&A perk. Book at that level and you will get them.

Not a mistake. It's the suite benefits-- not a C&A perk. Book at that level and you will get them.

But they aren't suite perks, either. Being in a suite doesn't get you either drink vouchers on your SeaPass or balcony discounts for cruises booked on board. Those are both functions of your C&A level.

You didn't get them.

She won't get them.

No one will get them.

It's a mistake.

I have a feeling that if the OP shows up with the printout of that e-mail they will get something, by mistake.:cool: