Children and formal nights

Summergee

Never seen it done but that well may be because there are usually no more than one or two of the really young on board on any sailing.

Given that, I would think it would be allowed and would garner a lot of positive attention. Assuming the little ones were attired in the proper manner. Jacket and tie for the lad and a pretty dress for the miss.

Enjoy, sounds like fun for all.

Just be sure some adult is willing to take responsibility for the childrens' behavior. They should be removed if they start screaming or destroying the experience for the other passengers. jmo.

What a ridiculous statement to make. Of course they are well behaved and I've never seen a child screaming anywhere on a ship. That includes a Christmas cruise when it was wall to wall kids.

What a ridiculous statement to make. Of course they are well behaved and I've never seen a child screaming anywhere on a ship. That includes a Christmas cruise when it was wall to wall kids.

I have. In the Main Dining Room and the parents were oblivious! I love seeing the children on board, but having one - or more - screaming throughout dinner made for a very unpleasant dining experience! All mum or dad had to do was take the child out to calm down and then bring him back.

I have. In the Main Dining Room and the parents were oblivious! I love seeing the children on board, but having one - or more - screaming throughout dinner made for a very unpleasant dining experience! All mum or dad had to do was take the child out to calm down and then bring him back.

Unfortunately I have as well, a lot of screaming and running around in the Champagne Bar.

I hope you all enjoy Captain's cocktail party but just be aware it can be very busy.

I have. In the Main Dining Room and the parents were oblivious! ... All mum or dad had to do was take the child out to calm down and then bring him back.
As have I on a couple of occasions in the dining room.

The one time that sticks in my mind; mum, on the next table, took the (very smartly dressed) screaming toddler out of the dining room for a few minutes... and then returned with quiet child. She repeated this about three/four times during one meal as after a few minutes he would start again. How she enjoyed her food I will never know, but she had endless patience with her son, and great consideration for her fellow passengers.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that, you have just been fortunate.

Exactly. As I said earlier, I love seeing the children on board. Many, indeed most parents are considerate of others, sadly not all.

My eldest daughter had cringeworthy tantrums at age 2 and on occasion I missed a meal in restaurants altogether so that she didn't disturb other paying guests.

I have seen this multiple times and parents sitting close by and completely ignoring it as they are on holiday. Saw it last Christmas in fact. You have been very very lucky if you've not seen it.

It's a very valid comment to make. And children being children can react differently when not in their usual environment, are bored, tired, hungry etc.

Meh. For every screaming, out-of-control child I've seen there are probably 10 well-behaved ones that go unnoticed.

Let's face it - we all remember the bad experiences and quickly forget (or don't even notice) the good ones.

These threads always bring about the "parents are so bad..." sentiments.

I can honestly say I've had more unpleasant, inebriated, self-absorbed, loud, boorish, arrogant adults interfere with my enjoyment of a restaurant/flight/cruise/movie than poorly behaved children.

Edited by MarkieMarkNYC

On our TA, the couple next to us in QG had a toddler. The first night out, he had spaghetti and tomato sauce. No utensils needed, he had fingers. It was everywhere. I feared out crossing would be a mess. Instead, the little tyke showed up on a formal night with the cutest clip on bow tie. He was just adorable. He caused no further trouble and mom helped him use a fork and spoon. My fears came to naught.

To specifically answer the OPs question re children at the Captains Cocktail Party as opposed to the Dining Room, then yes I have seen families including children of all ages several times. Most recently I noticed the Captain made a particular point of greeting the children and chatting to the parents.

Has anyone taken young children (3 & 5) to the Captain's Cocktail Party? We are on holiday with our children and grandchildren in August and wanted make sure it would be ok to go as a family.

Hi Summergee. What a lovely family holiday you have planned.

As regards to your question, perhaps the more important issue is whether your 3 year old and 5 year old grandchildren would enjoy the Captain's Cocktail Party? The venue is noisy, warm and crowded while listening to what amounts to a sales promotion (forgive me) while dressed in uncomfortable clothes.

If they can have fun there please ask them to tell my husband how to do it because he quit going after attending 10 Captain's parties. :)

Kudos to your family - have a wonderful time together !

Regards,

Salacia

Hi Lilydes. We've taken only one Christmas cruise, and that was on QM2 several years ago.

Can't say there were "wall to wall kids" on that cruise, but certainly more than I'd seen on previous voyages.

As others have written, you are indeed lucky to have "never seen a child screaming anywhere on a ship".

I think it's fair to say that it is not unnatural for babies or children to scream, or cry or do other things in public that they will later out grow. So, yes, as others have written, we have seen and heard some rather loud outbursts from children. Repeatedly.

Salacia

Our son was three when we took him on his first ocean voyage: an Atlantic crossing on the QE2. He was allowed to "be a child" in the childrens' playroom but he behaved like a gentleman when dressed for dinner in his suit with bow tie. He loved it and many people made a fuss over him at meals and at the captain's reception.

When he was four and five we took cruises on P&O and again he attended the captain's reception with us. Other children were there and when any of them started to act up the parents took them away. These receptions aren't very long, so this was not a big problem.

Not only have I seen and heard them screaming, I have witnessed them running through the dining room, kicking chairs, pushing every button in the elevators etc. And those were some of the better behaved ones. And all the while their parents, who all thought their kids were well behaved looked on smiling and thinking how cute is that!

So please don't accuse me of making a ridiculous statement. Saying that OF COURSE the children are well behaved is far more ridiculous.

Well said wripro :) .

Of course none of us can be in every room on board all the time to observe what goes on during our voyage; is it possible that there might be an incident involving a badly behaved child, that we weren't there to witness? Um?

Furthermore, none of us can be on every voyage of even one ship, never mind three... ; is it possible that we missed an overly-tired toddler being noisy and disruptive on board, when we were on dry land awaiting our next sailing? Eh?

Happy sailings to all :)

Over 40 cruise and 400 days at sea, and we have seen a few disruptive children, but the vast majority have been a credit to their parents, we still laugh about a couple of younger teenagers asking us to join in with their football game on the sports deck, we were in our sixties at the time!

Perhaps, due to all the negative comment we should take them in their swimwear, with sticky hands, tell them to wipe their hands on the Captain's uniform and deliberately charge into the waiters making them spill the trays of drinks. Then everyone will say "told you so" instead of accepting that we know the girls and wouldn't take them if they were unhappy about it!

Perhaps, due to all the negative comment we should take them in their swimwear, with sticky hands, tell them to wipe their hands on the Captain's uniform and deliberately charge into the waiters making them spill the trays of drinks. Then everyone will say "told you so" instead of accepting that we know the girls and wouldn't take them if they were unhappy about it!

Take the grandchildren and have a wonderful time. We have been on Cunard with ours for years, and yes, they have been with us at cocktail parties from a very small age, with no bother at all. Little girls love having on a party frock!

There is always the option to leave if they are bored, but our youngest would prefer to be in the Children's Zone very often, especially if she thought she was missing something to her liking!

Have a wonderful trip, with cruisers of the future!

While your comment is tongue in cheek I really don't think it's fair to be disparaging on those who have seen children (and subsequently their parents) behave poorly on ships. We don't know your children and everyone has different standards on which they judge their children's behaviour. Indulging parents may think their child's behaviour is cute and endearing that others might find to be completely unacceptable and inappropriate. Of course adults can behave likewise.