Flying into Milan, then taking train?

mickeysgal

We are batting around several options for our 3 day pre-cruise stay. One is flying into Milan, seeing the Last Supper, then heading to Florence for a day or two before heading to the port.

- How difficult is it to get from the Milan airport to the train station to continue onto Florence/Rome? We'd like to see the Last Supper but don't know where to put our luggage. Or do you recommend staying in Milan that first night to ease some of the logistic concerns (drop off luggage at hotel, then go to see Last Supper and stay the night in Milan)?

- Is there a train from Florence to the port in Civitavecchia? Would it be smarter to get a hotel there for the night rather than Rome the night prior (and then still have to travel to the port the next morning). Is it a fast train or a regional train? Both times in Italy before, we never had to take a train, so all this is very new to me.

Thanks for your help! I'm getting so confused on what to do and how to coordinate these details that I'm thinking to fly in/out Rome and not wander outside of Rome.

Which airport in Milan? Info on the airports and luggage storage in this tripadvisor link:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187849-s301/Milan:Italy:Arriving.And.Departing.html

We took the bus from Milan Malpensa and it took about an hour. Looks like there's train service now. I think the best bet would be to go to the luggage storage first, so train or bus, whichever gets you closest.

We assume you are talking about Malpensa, and as has already been posted you can take a long bus ride (about an hour) or some other private (and more expensive) transfer to get to the Milan train station. I think the Malpensa Express (train) might be now running and that only takes about 35 minutes. As to Florence to Civitavecchia, you are going to first need to take a train to Rome (Termini) and then transfer to the regional train that goes to Civitavecchia. Be prepared for a bit of a hike inside the huge Termini Station since most of Civitavecchia trains leave from auxiliary tracks at the furthest end of Termini.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

To answer your specific queries :

- How difficult is it to get from the Milan airport to the train station to continue onto Florence/Rome? We'd like to see the Last Supper but don't know where to put our luggage. Or do you recommend staying in Milan that first night to ease some of the logistic concerns (drop off luggage at hotel, then go to see Last Supper and stay the night in Milan)?

There is a train from Malpenza (MZP) into Central Milan . I would stay the night in Milan . We like Hotel Euro book on line direct via their website. Make sure you pre book your Last Supper admissions via tickitaly website well in advance as booked out days in advance (date and time specific) . Also worth visting in Milano La Scala, the Duomo and Republica Arcade .

- Is there a train from Florence to the port in Civitavecchia? Would it be smarter to get a hotel there for the night rather than Rome the night prior (and then still have to travel to the port the next morning). Is it a fast train or a regional train? Both times in Italy before, we never had to take a train, so all this is very new to me.

Yes you can train it from Mialno Centrale onto Firenze SMN station . Likewise with attractions in Firenze pre book admissions via tickitaly to avoid standing in queues for hours .

Yes you can train it from Firenze SMN to Civitavecchia . For example

Firenze SMN dep 1028 Pisa Centrale arr 1128 Change trains dep 1145

Civitavecchia arr 1442 All mainline trains in Italia are pretty fast these days . Very picturesque trip down the coast from Pisa to Civitavecchia .

Good place to stay in Civitavecchia near station on waterfront, good restaurants etc is Hotel Miramare. Book direct on line via their website .

From Civitavecchia station 60 - 75 minutes by frequent trains up to Roma Termini . Staying in Civitavecchia before your cruise is smart option as cheaper than Roma . Trains between Roma Termini and Civitavecchia run around hourly each way . i:e: Base youself in Civitavecchia and do your Roman sightseeing from there by train up to Roma.

Most long distance trains in Italia require seat reservations in addition to the actual ticket to travel .

All good information from kuldalai.

A site I find useful for train information is found by searching on the internet for 'the man in seat sixty one'

He is a former train executive who loved seat 61!

There is lots of great reading and detail on train travel for all over Europe.

I have recommended this site a few times but had no feedback

Am I the only one who likes it

A site I find useful for train information is found by searching on the internet for 'the man in seat sixty one'

He is a former train executive who loved seat 61!

There is lots of great reading and detail on train travel for all over Europe.

I have recommended this site a few times but had no feedback

Am I the only one who likes it��

No, you aren't the only one. I've seen others recommend it here as well, and I have been using it as a guide to buying our very first tickets on the Eurostar in a couple of months! :)

We are still toying with airfare so we don't know what airport in Milan -yet.

We had looked at flying into Milan first because there is four of us traveling (taking 2 of the kids with us this trip) and any savings helps at this time. But I do have to factor in time spent in train travel, travel to train, and cost of train tickets into the mix.

We are also considering RT Rome and doing a train day trip to Florence. That would mean dropping Milan (and The Last Supper). Airfares are higher, but may be the same or lower, once I figure in all the other costs of flying into Milan.

Ugh. Overall just trying to figure out logistically what can be done without too much headache and without packing too much into this trip (3 days pre cruise, then 3 days post cruise in Rome). I'm a pure novice on trains in Italy but willing to learn. Just a bit (ok, a lot) overwhelmed at the moment. I'm not a fan of canned tours so this is why we wanted to try this on our own.

Thanks to each of you for your help and guidance. This is why I love cruise critic. You all are the best!

Okay, I'll chime in with my unpopular POV. Other than the Last Supper, which we did not get to see because we had not pre-booked tickets, there really isn't much to see in Milan. The cathedral and the Galleria are pretty to look at but not worth a special visit in my opinion.

It may be easier to fly into Pisa and spend your pre-cruise time in Florence. If it's significantly cheaper to fly into Milan, what about taking the train to Venice for a couple of days? That is a super spectacular place to see! Easy train ride both from Milan and to Civitavecchia. Just a thought.

We are in our early 60's and use the train in Europe a lot, it's very easy once you get the hang of it, and you should have no trouble. Because we have so few trains in the United States, many people are daunted by the European train system but it's not an issue at all!

In general, and of course there are exceptions, all the trains pull face in to the station so that they're all lined up in a row. There's a big board at the entrance to the station which will tell you what track your train is boarding from. This information is usually only displayed about 15 minutes before the train leaves, so you have to be on your toes. Sometimes, especially when going to smaller cities, only the end destination of that train will be displayed so you may have to counter check by the train number. There are generally a couple of steep steps into the train and there is some luggage management to be done. If we don't have our luggage close to us, one of us will generally stand by the luggage at each stop just to make sure nothing untoward happens. That's pretty much it!!

Once you decide on your itinerary, it's best to go to http://www.trenitalia.com and pre-purchase your tickets if you're sure of your times. You can get the cheapest rate. Most of us agree that second class is perfectly adequate. Those tickets come with a seat assignment and the conductor will just come around during the trip and ask to see them. The exception to this would be the train from Rome to Civitavecchia which is basically general seating. Those tickets need to be validated in the little yellow boxes on the platform. Hope this helps!

Edited by CathyCruises

Okay, I'll chime in with my unpopular POV. Other than the Last Supper, which we did not get to see because we had not pre-booked tickets, there really isn't much to see in Milan. The cathedral and the Galleria are pretty to look at but not worth a special visit in my opinion.

It may be easier to fly into Pisa and spend your pre-cruise time in Florence. If it's significantly cheaper to fly into Milan, what about taking the train to Venice for a couple of days? That is a super spectacular place to see! Easy train ride both from Milan and to Civitavecchia. Just a thought.

!

It is just your opinion and it is one I agree with;)

Florence has retained its charm and it one of the highlights of a European holiday

since you're still looking at airfare, have you considered flying into London then a smaller european airline to Italy? That's what I typically do, which is how I ended up in Milan. I use easyjet, jet 2, thomas cooke, RyanAir because their prices are so reasonable. (my cousin just booked London-Portugal for 25E)

We are in our early 60's and use the train in Europe a lot, it's very easy once you get the hang of it, and you should have no trouble. Because we have so few trains in the United States, many people are daunted by the European train system but it's not an issue at all!

In general, and of course there are exceptions, all the trains pull face in to the station so that they're all lined up in a row. There's a big board at the entrance to the station which will tell you what track your train is boarding from. This information is usually only displayed about 15 minutes before the train leaves, so you have to be on your toes. Sometimes, especially when going to smaller cities, only the end destination of that train will be displayed so you may have to counter check by the train number. There are generally a couple of steep steps into the train and there is some luggage management to be done. If we don't have our luggage close to us, one of us will generally stand by the luggage at each stop just to make sure nothing untoward happens. That's pretty much it!!

Once you decide on your itinerary, it's best to go to http://www.trenitalia.com and pre-purchase your tickets if you're sure of your times. You can get the cheapest rate. Most of us agree that second class is perfectly adequate. Those tickets come with a seat assignment and the conductor will just come around during the trip and ask to see them. The exception to this would be the train from Rome to Civitavecchia which is basically general seating. Those tickets need to be validated in the little yellow boxes on the platform. Hope this helps!

Yes, it most certainly helps! Thanks!!

I have been doing research on the train system and I'm not so overwhelmed by it anymore. I feel we can do this.

We are leaning toward (IF we keep our tickets as is - flying into Milan. We are currently considering RT Rome) - landing in Milan, going to see the Last Supper, then taking a train to Florence for a few days pre cruise. Post cruise we will be in Rome. We were in Venice last year, but really haven't put our feet down for any length of time in Florence other than one day visit on a cruise (not enough!).

The question becomes then...if we don't stay in Milan overnight, what do I do with our luggage while we see the Last Supper?

ETA: Looking at Left Luggage at the train station...hearing there is a weight limit per suitcase...researching...

Edited by mickeysgal

• 2 months later...

mickeysgal - I was wondering if you could update as to your plans...Still flying into Milan, if so did you buy tickets to the Last Supper? I am looking on the website tickitaly, and nothing fits our schedule, and was wondering where else to buy tickets in advance. Thanks!

Sorry to hijack the post, but to all else who replied....you recommend buying train tickets in advance.....do they sell out? Are they much cheaper in advance? We are flying into Milan and taking the train the next day to Venice. I'm not sure if I want to buy in advance and be tied to any schedule.

Thanks!

Sorry to hijack the post, but to all else who replied....you recommend buying train tickets in advance.....do they sell out? Are they much cheaper in advance? We are flying into Milan and taking the train the next day to Venice. I'm not sure if I want to buy in advance and be tied to any schedule.

Thanks!

We've done both - booked in advance and just turned up at the train station and bought tickets for the next train. You can get cheaper tickets if you book a couple months in advance, but I think you're travelling on May 15 (if I go by your cruise date), and for that day only the base rate is available on Trenitalia right now, so might as well just buy on the day.

We've done both - booked in advance and just turned up at the train station and bought tickets for the next train. You can get cheaper tickets if you book a couple months in advance, but I think you're travelling on May 15 (if I go by your cruise date), and for that day only the base rate is available on Trenitalia right now, so might as well just buy on the day.

Agree with this:)

Thanks!

I would not recommend buying tickets for the train in advance. We did in February from Milan to Rome at a good price, 27 euro each. We left a 6 hour cushion from the time we were to land in Milan to the time the train left milano centrale. Our plane was 5 hours late arriving at MXP, by the time we got to Milano Central, we had missed the train. We then had to buy new tickets 102 euros each. So, I would not recommend buying tickets in advance when you are depending on someone else(airline) to have you there on time. Our tickets back to Milan were still good because we were able to manage our own time. Luckily, we had travel insurance and were reinbursed for the 102 euro tickets (2X). But, we had to provide so much documentation that it was almost ridiculous, but, hey, I was up for the challenge, haha. Have fun, Happy sailing.

Another option would be to fly in to Milan, then catch the train down to Genoa and around to the Cinque Terre and Pisa. Then on to Livorno and down the coast to Civitavecchia.

Trains in Italy are fast and reliable - they leave exactly on time! The only exception to this is the trains that move people through the five towns of the cinque Terre - they are all over the shop!

There are ticket machines at the stations that will have a button to press for instructions in English.

Your main challenge will be to get a ticket for the Last Supper. The micro-climate is controlled to preserve the painting and there is a limitto the number of people in any 30 minute time slot.

We have used luggage drops at several major stations in Italy, but I don't thinkwe have used the one at Milano Centrale. They have been well organised and low priced.

I would not worry about staying in Civitavecchia on the night before the cruise from a logistics point of view. Rome is close enough and the train service iis frequent.

I think you asked about the fast vs regional trains? Whichever goes with your timetable. There are several grades of regionale trains btw - some are much faster than others. Regionale trains cannot be booked until about 7 days before. But ... having booked the fast trains on our first Italian visit in 2012, we didn't book so many in 2013 and I never found a train that was booked out.

Luckily, we had travel insurance and were reinbursed for the 102 euro tickets (2X). But, we had to provide so much documentation that it was almost ridiculous, but, hey, I was up for the challenge, haha. Have fun, Happy sailing.

Hi,

I'm curious about your travel insurance. In 2009, the Prinsendam was the first ship to call in Newport, Wales, in some 80 years. Little did we know much was being made of this in the media and our arrival time was delayed an hour or so in order for the BBC to get footage (or so the rumor went)! Those of us who'd make train reservations in advance lost them. When I contacted my insurance, Global Alert, they said I had no case for reimbursement. I did not buy more tickets; we changed our plans for the day, though. I have or have not purchased advance train tickets on subsequent trips as a result of this experience. How did you do it? Good for you! (They didn't even send me paperwork because it was a ship that was late....I'm guessing it's different with a plane? My curiosity is up!)

By the way, I did purchase advance tickets for Milan last year...we barely made the train, but I would've done it again since I got a good advance deal (compared with 102 Euros the day of).

Thanks!!

Edited by syesmar

mickeysgal,

On my first trip to Italy in 2001, we flew into Milan and stopped to see The Last Supper before heading to Lake Garda. We took the Malpensa Express from the airport to the city. We stored our luggage at Milano centrale station (for a fee). I believe we took a cab to for The Last Supper. (It was a timed ticket).

For that trip we bought our train tickets out of Milan the day of. I know things have changed a bit since then and it's probably a bit easier now. (Check trip advisor for updated logistics). For us it was a memorable introduction to a land we would return to many more times!

Edited by syesmar

Hi,

I'm curious about your travel insurance. In 2009, the Prinsendam was the first ship to call in Newport, Wales, in some 80 years. Little did we know much was being made of this in the media and our arrival time was delayed an hour or so in order for the BBC to get footage (or so the rumor went)! Those of us who'd make train reservations in advance lost them. When I contacted my insurance, Global Alert, they said I had no case for reimbursement. I did not buy more tickets; we changed our plans for the day, though. I have or have not purchased advance train tickets on subsequent trips as a result of this experience. How did you do it? Good for you! (They didn't even send me paperwork because it was a ship that was late....I'm guessing it's different with a plane? My curiosity is up!)

By the way, I did purchase advance tickets for Milan last year...we barely made the train, but I would've done it again since I got a good advance deal (compared with 102 Euros the day of).

Thanks!!

I contacted the insurance when we got home, about a month later( because of 21 day cruise and other Europe travel), they emailed me a form with all the information they needed. They do not make it easy, but it was well explained and had check lists to use.

We had to get a letter from American Airlines stating the time the flight was due to arrive and the actual arrival time(that was a nightmare, I had to write, email, call and facebook AA before they sent it to me!), then we had to show that we bought new tickets, had tickets we didn't use, show all receipts and statements. It was a lot of paperwork to do it, but, I am very organized and had saved every single thing to try to get a refund. I gathered everything together, made copies and sent it off. About 2 weeks later, I got and email that said "your check is in the mail". I guess in your case, you did not purchase additional tickets and were not out more money. In the letter with the check it said, unused tickets were not covered. So, they did not cover the 27 euro tickets that we didn't use(because we missed the train), but they did cover the 102 euro tickets that we had to purchase in order to get to Rome.

So, I, like you, would pre purchase tickets if you are spending the night or something like that, it is much, much cheaper. But, it if you need to get somewhere the day of your trip to Europe, I would not do it. I was told over and over on TA, but thought............6 hours, I should have followed their advice. But, as I said, it still worked out that I really only paid 27 euros because the other fee was covered by the travel insurance.

Hope this helps.

Level six,

Thanks for the info! I will definitely keep that in mind....I always buy travel insurance. Now it's nice to know under these circumstances, that if I miss a train, reimbursement for the more expensive 'day of' ticket may be possible. There are so many rules, it's reassuring to know this is an option!

• 6 months later...
since you're still looking at airfare, have you considered flying into London then a smaller european airline to Italy? That's what I typically do, which is how I ended up in Milan. I use easyjet, jet 2, thomas cooke, RyanAir because their prices are so reasonable. (my cousin just booked London-Portugal for 25E)

This is a great idea. We were in Europe last summer and took easyjet from Naples to Athens and it was superb. Very inexpensive too. I'm considering this as well. It is so expensive to fly from Denver to Italy, I'm tempted to do this. We are considering cruise out of Genoa next summer. We took the trains everywhere and became big fans. BTW, I will NEVER change planes in Heathrow until the rates are just low, low, low. So slow to move thru customs. it was a nightmare. The hardest part of our entire trip, no one helped and we speak English. We got much better help in countries where English was the second language. JMHO. :rolleyes: