Would you book a connecting room

mcatmcat

We also have a adjoining JS on Freedom, 9334. Does anyone know about FR adjoining cabins? We hear on this thread that some adjoining cabins have one door, some two. What's Freedom have? And who's been in one?

R&D

Ours on Freedom (and on Allure) was one door.

As most others have said, I'd avoid it.

Some D connecting cabins only have a chair and not a couch on Voyager or Freedom(can't remember which)class ships.

We had a connecting cabin on Freedom, E category balcony, and I was GUARANTEED by both the TA and RCI that the room had a couch. It didn't. It had only a chair. I believe the D category balcony cabins that are connecting have a love seat vs a couch. They have to shrink something to make room for the door. If you really need a couch, beware! There was no problem with noise.

Well, I can report back next year as I've been booked into a connecting cabin on Radiance for the 7/31 southbound cruise. 3102. Granted, I could be connecting with someone else in the running group as the TA who handles it said she would contact RCI and ask them to assign me an ocean view from the group block after I was mistakenly assigned to an inside cabin (which was more midship, but I'm just too scared I'll feel closed in in an interior cabin). But I don't know if the block includes specific cabins or x-number of cabins in each of the available categories.

That said, I've been fine with connecting rooms in hotels - I know cruise ships are different. And I'm not sure how much I'll be in the cabin - we'll have races in each of the ports with briefings before docking. Plus it's Alaska. So...

It'll be fun no matter what!! :)

• 3 weeks later...
We had that on the Explorer. Didn't like the small chair. No place to put your junk and sit at the same time. We need all the room we can get for storage. :p Plus, we did hear the people next door. Will avoid the connecting cabin if I can. If it is the last cabin on the ship, I will still take it, just to be on the ship. ;)

Gwen :)

I dont suppoe you have any photos of the room? we also have connecting rooms on Explorer, but it is for the 3 kids in one and hubby and i in the other so i am glad i will be able to hear them! when there is no noise is when you worry!!!

Thanks

Carley :)

I dont suppoe you have any photos of the room? we also have connecting rooms on Explorer, but it is for the 3 kids in one and hubby and i in the other so i am glad i will be able to hear them! when there is no noise is when you worry!!!

Thanks

Carley :)

Of course I can't assume this pick will be like your cabin, but here's my experience to give you an idea......

I had an INT connecting early in my cruising history and didn't have a problem.

My 2nd experience with a connecting cabin was not good. The following picture is from a PR interior on Adventure 3 yrs ago, and the neighbors were somewhat noisy. Note where the TV is... it's right beside the connecting door. Since the room next door is a exact mirror, guess where the shelves and television are?? You guessed it! Right beside the door. So all you need is kids watching cartoons or adults watching a movie loudly and you will hear it in your cabin.

DSCF1112_zps40feb9f0.jpg

Never Again!

We had one, and it was a disaster....we were next to a family suite, and they had kids who constantly bounced off the walls, yelled and screamed.... and spent time trying to get the connecting door open....even banged on the door.

They had problems getting to bed at night, so they must have had circle time and sang songs together until they were tired out...

I would see the parents in the CL...they brought along the poor grandmother to babysit the kids....

Whether a room is a connecting room or not is the first thing I look for....

NEVER NEVER again....

We had connecting rooms on Allure. My kids were in the other room, and we could hear them talking in normal voices during the trip.

I'd avoid connecting if possible.

That is something I do not want to hear since I have a connecting room on the Oasis in 2 months, and I love the location of my room and don't want to switch!! (since my cabin was booked for me, by family, I don't think switching is an option and I would have never booked it had I known)

One would think they would do more about sound-proofing after reading all these negative experiences about them.

Praying that I don't have "that" family next to us...

We had connecting rooms on Allure. My kids were in the other room, and we could hear them talking in normal voices during the trip.

I'd avoid connecting if possible.

This was our experience too. We had connecting rooms and could easily hear our family members in the connected room with the door shut. Fortunately we were able to tell them to talk more quietly, but I would never book such a room again unless we occupied both rooms.

We've had them a few times. A couple of times we were traveling with family in the adjoining room so we wanted it. A couple of times we were just ''assigned" one and didn't know the folks next door at all. I guess we were lucky as it's never been a problem and wound't think twice about having one in the future.

We recently were on the Explorer and had a connecting room for the first time. Didn't realize it when I booked and by the time I did, it was too late to change. Turned out I needn't have worried as we did not hear anything at all from our neighbors the entire 9 night cruise. Maybe it was luck but I certainly wouldn't be concerned about it in the future.

I was wondering what is your opinion on a connecting room. I'm tempted to switch stateroom to a connecting stateroom due to the location but I was wondering what is your past experience in a connecting room

Thank you

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I try to avoid it only because some large family might want it. Otherwise, it makes no difference to me.

On one of our early cruises we took a connecting forward cabin on Constellation. Never heard a thing. It was a 12 day cruise. I remember asking the cabin steward if there was anyone booked in that cabin. There was also one of those dreaded crew areas on the other side. Again, never heard a thing. We took the exact same cabin the next year on the Millenium for a Med cruise. I heard the person next door clear his throat a few times. DH is sensitive to noise so that is why we take a forward cabin. There is less traffic in the halls at night. The people talking in the halls is what really annoys us. I believe we had a connecting cabin one additional time with no problems but I can't remember the ship.

In those days cruise critic posters suggested duct taping around the door if you had noisy neighbors. I did do that with the coughing neighbor.