South America: Oceania or HAL?

duopole

Hi all,

I'd like your opinion on the following:

What (and why) would you choose between the HAL 14 nights cruise or the Oceania 16 days around South America?

My question is more about the itinerary. I quite know what to expect from HAL as I cruised with them already 3 times, and I have recommandation for Oceania I have the recommendation of a friend :)

But I want to be sure I'm getting the most interesting itinerary, as this is a once in a lifetime cruise for us (as we have to flight all the way from a little chocolate and beer country :):p)

I have copied the links with the itinerary description below:

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/south-america-cruises/buenos-aires-to-valparaiso-MNA151222/

http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/CruiseDetails.action?destCode=S&portCode=&shipCodeSearch=&dateCode=&flexibleMonths=false&noOfFlexibleMonths=1&pageNumber=0&voyageCode=X573&tabName=ItineraryDetails&fromSearchVacation=true

Thanks for your help!

Sophie

I've done these itineraries several times but on other lines.

I like both of them. They both give you ports but also days of viewing the Fjords.

I like that they both begin at Buenos Aires because I recommend arriving a few days before the cruise and prefer Buenos Aires over starting in Valparaiso where you either stay near the port or in Santiago.

Because I think that Oceania would be a nicer experience in terms of the on board experience and the itineraries are similar enough I would go with Oceania but if that doesn't matter to you go with either one.

About 1/3 of the time ships don't make it to the Falklands because it requires a tender and it can be too windy to run the tenders safely. I say this because I would sign up for an excursion in both the Falklands and Punta Arenas (visit Otway Bay) and if both go that is fine because the experience will be nice but different and if the visit to Port Stanley doesn't work out you at least have Punta Arenas to see them.

Cruise Tours are going to be similar between the cruise lines. Most offer the same tours.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010

I am not sure what beer & chocolate Country you are from but do you get the air included with Oceania ? That could make a difference price wise

Also compare the number of ports you actually get to

I see on HAL you are cruising or at sea 10 out of 14 days

On Oceania you have 6 out of 16 that said they do have a few tender ports which are always iffy

Oceania is more expensive but does include some things that HAL does not but it depends on if they are of value to you

While Oceania is our favourite line I would choose the one that goes to the ports you want to see & in your budget

Enjoy whatever cruise you choose

How safe is it to go around Buenos Aires on your own? You hear about the rate of crime there. Is it as bad as they say?

I am from New York, which actually is much, much safer than it has ever been.

thanks

My wife and I are originally from New York and my wife in law's are from Buenos Aires and moved to Canada and then to the USA when our son in law was relatively young.

You do have to be careful in Buenos Aires. This includes locking up valuables in the hotel safe being careful with ones money, etc when walking around and I would recommend staying in the tourist areas and not going out very far from a hotel at night. With that said, it is an absolutely beautiful city (very European) with lots to see and do and the food is also wonderful and the people are really nice. One can take organized private tours so you are with locals and that is what we've done.

Keith

HAL on a longer 21 day includes Antarctica and the Falklands.

Antarctic islands are sheltered and Spectacular. The Falklands has a number of spots to view Penguins, we did Bluff cove with king and Gentoo penguins.

The Chile fiords are great, and take a few days ate each end in Santiago and Buenos Aires. This is definitely a must do trip and one of our top cruises.

I would take the Oceania cruise, it is two days longer and visits more ports. The Holland America cruise is during Hanukkah, the Oceania during Christmas and New Year, if that makes any difference. The Oceania cruise skips Montevideo which was one of my favorite ports. I would have liked to have visited Iguazu Falls and Antarctica when we were in the area.

Have you considered this Holland America Zaandam sailing?

Sun Dec 20 Santiago (Valparaiso), Chile 5:00pm

Mon Dec 21 At Sea

Tue Dec 22 Puerto Montt, Chile 8:00am 5:00pm

Wed Dec 23 Castro, Chile 8:00am 5:00pm

Thu Dec 24 Puerto Chacabuco, Chile 8:00am 5:00pm

Fri Dec 25 Chilean Fjords (Cruising)

Sat Dec 26 Amalia Glacier, Chile / Canal Sarmiento (Cruising)

Sun Dec 27 Strait of Magellan (Cruising)

Sun Dec 27 Punta Arenas, Chile / Cockburn Channel / Beagle Channel (Cruising) 6:00am 6:00pm

Mon Dec 28 Glacier Alley (Cruising)

Mon Dec 28 Ushuaia, Argentina 2:00pm 8:00pm

Tue Dec 29 Cape Horn / Drake Passage (Cruising)

Wed Dec 30 At Sea

Thu Dec 31 The Palmer Archipelago (Cruising) 8:00am 8:00am

Fri Jan 1 The Danco Coast (Cruising)

Sat Jan 2 The Antarctic Sound (Cruising) 8:00pm 8:00pm

Sun Jan 3 At Sea

Mon Jan 4 Port Stanley, Falkland Islands 8:00am 4:00pm

Tue Jan 5 At Sea

Wed Jan 6 Puerto Madryn, Argentina 7:00am 3:00pm

Thu Jan 7 At Sea

Fri Jan 8 Montevideo, Uruguay 9:00am 6:00pm

Sat Jan 9 Buenos Aires, Argentina 8:00am

Sun Jan 10 Buenos Aires, Argentina Disembark

I can see why you are having a hard time choosing. We have only done this trip on Princess, so I can't say which would be better. But if you could do the HAL longer one. That would be the one I would like. Oceania ships are a bit nicer than Hal. If you get the airfare included, that might save a money.

I think Princess has the best South America CruiseTours. Why not add them to the list.

I concur. We did 32 days on the Ruby Princess from Ft Lauderdale to Valpariso, Chile earlier this year, and it was fabulous. We made all of our ports, including Stanley, Falkland Islands as well as Ushuaia, and most importantly, made it around Cape Horn!!

Of the two choices you presented, I would take the HAL cruise.

I find HAL a much better value than Oceania, but that's not even the primary reason I would pick them for this. HAL is offering Montevideo, which is a great port. It also offers the Beagle Channel and scenic cruising of Cape Horn. Again, these are "don't miss" sites. A big part of cruising in this area is the scenic portion, so sea days are a plus.

Do spend some time in Buenos Aires before boarding the ship. I've been there on three cruises, including overnights, and still have not seen everything worth seeing.

However, you should give serious consideration to the longer HAL cruise that includes Antarctica. It is the highlight of the entire area, and makes the other scenic portions look like an afterthought.

If you are going to fly all that way, and spend all the money to take any of the cruises, don't leave out the absolute best part. You may not get there again.

Hi,

Thanks to you all for the replies and the interesting information.

I think :rolleyes: we have made up our mind and we will go with the Oceania. The main reason is that we have access to a special offer which make it possible for us to experience the Oceania luxury.

Also the HAL cruise is fully booked on exterior (even on balcony, which would be much more money then our Oceania offer so not even an option).

And yes we are from Belgium and if you want any insider information on this little crazy fantastic place, don't hesitate to ask me :) cheers :)

And yes we are from Belgium and if you want any insider information on this little crazy fantastic place, don't hesitate to ask me :) cheers :)

We were relocated in Bruxelles for 5 wonderful years.:)

I used to buy my shoes "chez Matthys & fils" ... are they still in business?

And, of course, I wouldn't mind right now some Leonidas chocolates - avec creme fraiche et noisette. Merci.:D