Ironing on Grand Princess

gamajr

A truly boring topic I know but our cruise will be at the end of our holiday (two weeks in USA and Canada before the cruise) so not only will I have some laundry, I will want to press my cruise clothes as they will have been travelling around in my luggage for at least two weeks prior to the cruise.

We are in a mini suite. Is there a pressing service available as I hate ironing? Is it costly? If not, can I have an ironing board and iron brought to my cabin for a couple of hours or do I have to go to the laundry to iron?

A truly boring topic I know but our cruise will be at the end of our holiday (two weeks in USA and Canada before the cruise) so not only will I have some laundry, I will want to press my cruise clothes as they will have been travelling around in my luggage for at least two weeks prior to the cruise.

We are in a mini suite. Is there a pressing service available as I hate ironing? Is it costly? If not, can I have an ironing board and iron brought to my cabin for a couple of hours or do I have to go to the laundry to iron?

Yes, you can get cloths pressed. There is a laundry slip in your cabin with the prices. No irons or ironing boards or ironing in any cabins. There are free irons and boards in every laundry room. Laundry rooms are on almost all decks.

you must go to the laundry room to iron. They keep it very clean and the irons are like new. There are also washers and dryers for you to use but they are coin operated. Laundry soap is also available. Having the ship do your laundry is very expensive. It's like $2.00 just for a pair of underpants. It's best just to use the laundry room.

We've used the laundry room before even though our laundry service and pressing is complimentary while onboard. There is a self serve laundromat on each deck and they are kept very nice and clean. They are behind steel doors in case a fire breaks out, it will be contained. There is no way they will allow you to have an clothes iron or even a steamer in your cabin as these fire proofing precautions do not exist in any cabin.

If you hate ironing, and who doesn't?, I would recommend a small spray bottle of Downy Wrinkle release. Just spray and smooth wrinkles out with your hand and then hang in the bathroom after your shower. I have found this stuff to work pretty well for getting the wrinkles out. Also, using packing cubes and suggested methods for folding for your clothing. It takes a little time and patience but it also really helps with the wrinkles.

And ... if all else fails, yes, Princess has pressing service, professional cleaning service and laundry service onboard but it is a bit on the pricey side. I really don't care for them to do my laundry (again, because we've cruised with them many times, it is free and I still don't use it) unless the clothing is very hardy and already shrunk down. If you do use it and your clothing is stained, be sure to mark it where the stain exists. On this, they have done wonders. They also do a very good job on the professional cleaning and pressing service.

Ironing service is available, but it is expensive. I believe it is 1/2 the cost of having each item cleaned. There will be a laundry bag and price list in your cabin

It is 80% of the cleaning cost.

Last year that meant the pressing charge would, for example, have been $4.00 for a pair of slacks and $3.20 for a blouse or shirt. Not sure of the current rates.

Expect return of the items to be 24-48 hours unless you pay extra for faster service.

Thanks again everyone. We have a week in Salt Lake City and a week in Montreal before our cruise so it is helpful to know what our laundry options will be.

We are coming from Australia so thanks to Cruise Raider for the suggestion of the Downy wrinkle release as we don't have that. I'll try to pick it up at a supermarket somewhere along the way.

Thanks to Caribill for some actual prices. I think I'll use the wrinkle release on some items and send a pile of items away for pressing. It's not cheap but $50 max spent on pressing vs relaxing still sounds like a good deal to me.

Thanks everyone!

If you've sailed Princess before and happen to be familiar with the particular ship, you may want to consider self-pressing some of the items on embarkation afternoon. No one else (usually) is in the laundry so it's quiet, cool, and most have a TV in them. DH always takes his shirts to iron that initial afternoon (before muster as luggage almost always there well before muster) and I may also join him with an item or two. We do this even though we get the free laundry service as then there is no waiting for return of clothing and it's all done.

So if you have some items you might not mind pressing (the easy ones like skirts or pants!) do those yourself and send out the rest. You can use the money saved for a nice beverage to enjoy either while ironing or to celebrate right after!

My wife said that it was actually kind of a nice social atmosphere ironing on Formal Night. So many different people getting ready. She said it was very nice chatting with the various people trying to get their ironing done - kind of an "ironing party" sort of thing. (Of course she says she doesn't mind ironing anyway so...)

I'm lucky. My wife doesn't want anybody else doing the laundry or the ironing. In 45 years of marriage I haven't been "allowed" to do either. :hearteyes:

Thanks again everyone. We have a week in Salt Lake City and a week in Montreal before our cruise so it is helpful to know what our laundry options will be.

We are coming from Australia so thanks to Cruise Raider for the suggestion of the Downy wrinkle release as we don't have that. I'll try to pick it up at a supermarket somewhere along the way.

Thanks to Caribill for some actual prices. I think I'll use the wrinkle release on some items and send a pile of items away for pressing. It's not cheap but $50 max spent on pressing vs relaxing still sounds like a good deal to me.

Thanks everyone!

Look for a CVS or Walgreens Pharmacy where it's easy to find the Downy Wrinkle Release. They around in many places. No need to look for a super market. Just ask where one is located where you are staying.

Tom😎