Our first 10 day itinerary. ....

Pier290

We got a bit tired of ship's food by the end of our 10 nighter...but it was nice upon boarding to know that we had a longer time on the ship!

You know how slow times goes BEFORE your cruise...once you step onto the ship, time speeds up to "warp speed", so 10 nights lasts a bit longer!

We aren't huge fans of lots of sea days...the pool is always packed and jammed....but, it will be ok....

Different strokes for different folks.........it depends on what you like (or think you will like).

I can't imagine taking a cruise for just 7 days, and prefer longer cruises of over 10 or 12 days at least. I love sea days, and would be happy with no port stops, if that were possible -- I find sea days to be very calming and almost zen-like in my relaxation. I enjoy not seeing land for days at a time, and I'm happy just finding a little alcove to watch the sea and read a book (or similar) Time seems to zip by for me. In 6 weeks I'm going on a transpacific cruise of 17 days that has just 2 port stops.

Other people are different - they get bored or frustrated or claustrophobic. They see cruising as a way to visit a lot of different ports and think of more than a day or two at sea to be wasted, wanting to get to a new port and see a new place.

The shortest cruise we have been on have been a 10 day.......personally 14 or 15 day cruises are better for us. Sea days, port days......bring them on! We have 2 future cruises booked.....one a 15 day with 5 ports of call and the other a 14 day with 9 ports of call......it is all good with us.

Would never say we wouldn't do a 7 day or shorter.......just that we prefer longer cruises.

I can't imagine going through all that hassle for a 7 day or shorter cruise. We don't live near a cruise port, thus we have to fly. And we don't live near an airport so we have to stay at a hotel near the airport before we fly out in the morning. And we don't have direct flights. So it is a long day flying. We always arrive at the embarkation port a couple of days early. At the end of the cruise -- stay overnight at a hotel before flying home. Then stay overnight at a hotel before driving home.

Thus the shortest cruise we would consider would be 14 days. The longer, the better.

We have done two 10 day cruises. Both with NCL. Personally, I really like sea days. Gives us time to explore the ship, take in some entertainment, eat at a specialty restaurant (if the line you're on offers this) and just relax. Not having to get up super early for an excursion or rush back to the ship to get ready for dinner etc. I will say as others have said, we got somewhat tired of the food towards the end of the cruise BUT we were on a cruise being waited on and enjoying ourselves. That's a plus! Also, if you're very social like we are, we got to meet some lovely people and were able to spend more time with them.

Depending on the ship/line, they offer onboard laundry service or do it yourself laundry. This is a big plus and if you've made a certain status, it is free or you get a few free loads of laundry. I liked this as I didn't want to pack my entire wardrobe for the cruise. We live in rural Maine and it can be difficult to fly out depending on the time of year which can be stressful. Having more time on vacation works for us.

I really think it's all in what you're looking for and what you want to get out of your vacation. I would definitely go on another 10 day cruise.

One upon a time (over forty years ago) we took our first 7 day cruise. Then we tried a 10 day. Soon we were doing 14-21 day cruises. Eventually we expanded our horizons and started doing cruises over 60 days. After our first 62 day cruise, DW said "I think we could do a 120 day cruise."

So to answer the OPs question, at least in our ole minds there is no such thing as too long of a cruise. One nice facet of longer cruises is that you will find passengers seem to be more relaxed because they are not trying to cram a life time into 7 days.

Hank